Scot McCloughan is on the Browns staff now.. Baker haters wont like what he has to say

mistakey

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I love Baker Mayfield. He's not as safe as some of the other QB's (Rosen, Darnold), but his ceiling is elite and I love his demeanor. If I were our GM, I'd take Darnold because he combines safety and upside. Mayfield has the highest ceiling despite his size, Rosen is the safest, and Allen is the riskiest.

Not sure I agree with this.

Think he is closer to bumping up against it than Darnold.

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

Agreed.

Darnold has a higher ceiling than Mayfield just based off of sheer arm strength and throws 15+ yards downfield into tight windows (not deep balls).

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

Mayfield has that crazy Manziel-like magic. I think his arm is just as good as Darnolds. Darnold can throw further, but Mayfield's throws have more zip and he can still push it down the field enough to be labeled a "great armed QB." I think he could be Russell Wilson. Not many QB's would go over Wilson if you had a real-life fantasy NFL draft. I think that kind of upside is enough to get him labeled a supremely high upside dude.

Darnold has a high ceiling too, but I don't see him do the magical spectacular things that Mayfield does. Mayfield plays the QB position differently than everyone else. He makes you defend every blade of grass. He's accurate to every level. He can throw the deep outs. He can drop it in the bucket down the field. He's amazing on play action fakes. He manipulates the pocket like a wizard and can take off when things break down. He's an excellent leader. He's competitive and by all accounts, an extremely hard worker. I don't have a single concern with him other than his size, which I've always seen as overrated.

I don't like smaller QB's mainly because they usually have noodle arms. Mayfield does not have this issue at all.

19 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

LOL

I love you bro but i literally stopped reading here.

He does though. He has those crazy spectacular plays without the nightmarishly bad plays JFF was capable of. I'm talking about college. Manziel would run around like a chicken with his head cut off and somehow magically find a dude streaking down the seam. Mayfield does those same things. Manziel also ran himself into a bunch of sacks and bad negative plays. Mayfield doesn't do this nearly as much.

He's all of the things that "good Manziel" brought without the bad.

37 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I love Baker Mayfield. He's not as safe as some of the other QB's (Rosen, Darnold), but his ceiling is elite and I love his demeanor. If I were our GM, I'd take Darnold because he combines safety and upside. Mayfield has the highest ceiling despite his size, Rosen is the safest, and Allen is the riskiest.

Each of the other top 3 also have elite ceilings. The ceiling really isn't the question, but rather the likelihood that they reach said ceiling (Josh Allen probably has the highest pure ceiling in my opinion, but the chances he reaches it are lower than the other 3). I would not say he has the highest upside total either. I still believe that resides with Allen, then Darnold. I also think Jackson has a higher upside, but his chances of hitting it are even lower than Allen's. Rosens upside is there, but not as high in my opinion as the others. Has the highest floor though, as you said

I love Mayfield as well, especially his leadership qualities, however there are only 2 QB's as short as Mayfield in the NFL, that's 6% of NFL QB's, so if I am drafting #1 overall and I have solid options, I think I would pass on Mayfield and let another team take the risk.

Mayfield reminds me a lot of Favre and Brees, but I am still taking Darnold when all is said and done!!!

Archived