that Big Game today...

vike daddy

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The Clement play was not a catch. He clearly double clutched the ball, as you could see space between both of his hands and the ball when his foot landed out of bounds. 

Ertz’s touchdown was easily a catch and run. He took a good three steps up field with the ball, then dove. 

Clement catch ... was fair to be called ruling on the field stands.

Ertz was definitely a catch and run... agreed 3 full steps... its a TD as soon as he cross the endzone mid air.

33 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The Clement play was not a catch. He clearly double clutched the ball, as you could see space between both of his hands and the ball when his foot landed out of bounds. 

My interpretation of the visual evidence is different. I saw him adjust his grip of the ball but at no point did I think he was not controlling the ball. Of course, I frequently see the league say that players lost control when they were merely adjusting their grip as they maintained control the full way through so wouldn't have been surprised to see it overturned either. Nowhere does it say that a player cannot adjust their grip on the ball without losing control of it.

I agree with Uncle Buck in that nobody really knows what a catch is anymore. The league has done a terrible job with that rule and left fans mystified on both ends of the argument. They have done their brand no favors by leaving it in a place where it is continually interpreted differently by the various officials. When even officials can't agree on what is a catch, it isn't really a surprise that fans are not going to agree.

To me, both of those plays were catches. It just so happens that the officials this game agreed with me. The exact same plays could certainly be ruled differently by other officials (or maybe even the same officials on a different day depending on which way the wind is blowing).

Archived