Real Madrid C.F. Thread - LUCKY NUMBER 13

Madridista

Awful tactical move by Zidane in this one (only just got round to watching full match).

If you watch the first half, you will see Kovacić shadow Messi everywhere - and it worked. He only had two successful dribbles, and no chances to score. RM pressed man-for-man, and it largely stifled Barca. The problem with having Kovavic so deep is that during counter-attack transitions - he's TOO deep. He's the fastest player on the ball, but he's nowhere near being dangerous back there in Messi's pocket.

In the second half he abandoned all this, and it just freed up the players. Paulinho was living in space, and Barca's first goal was just poor counter-pressing. They lost the ball and just switched off - Marcelo and Kovavic both chased the same player, and 2 or 3 were free. Then, of course, the famous losing-of-the-heads by RM and it was done. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2018 at 4:12 PM, ninerfanwheelz said:

Zidane switched back to the 4-3-3 today. Probably the best we've looked all season. Hope it's not a fluke like the Sevilla match last month.

'Twas a fluke. This season is such a waste of time. If we end up in the Europa League I hope we decline to play

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Couple brutal decisions for sure, but only ourselves to blame for not coming away with a win. Just not organized enough defensively. All that truly matters, though, is that everyone is healthy for the CL final.

I actually think we'll end up with Courtois this summer. Not that he isn't great but I'd prefer De Gea - I'd always love the Spanish #1 to be our keeper