(Poll) With McCloughan on board, what QB do we Select at 1?

Mind Character

(Poll) With McCloughan on board, what QB do we Select at 1?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. (Poll) With McCloughan on board, what QB do we Select at 1?

• Baker Mayfield - can't you read the signs?
    • Sam Darnold - the coaches say will win out, Dorsey will do what is right
    • Josh Rosen
    • Josh Allen

57 minutes ago, bruceb said:

You have to add a lot more content and post it in multiple threads to counterbalance Mind.

I’ve posted this in every mayfield thread. I don’t feel like it needs any supporting facts. He’s the 3rd best QB in the draft. 

From Matt Miller posted last night:

"After the previous regime traded out of chances to draft Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson, it's on Dorsey to find the first franchise quarterback in the rebooted Browns' history. Going with Sam Darnold not only make sense, but it's also what I'm hearing the team is leaning toward.

The USC junior doesn't have Josh Allen's arm strength, Baker Mayfield's playmaking or Josh Rosen's smooth stroke, but he is the best of all the traits put together. You don't have to worry about Darnold grabbing his crotch on the sidelines or wearing a "F--k Trump" hat to one of the president's golf courses, and there aren't the questions about his accuracy like there are with Allen. 

Darnold also has the body type to handle the AFC North with his thicker frame and toughness. He was recruited to play linebacker, after all. If the Browns want a franchise quarterback, Darnold is the safest way to go."

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

From Matt Miller posted last night:

"After the previous regime traded out of chances to draft Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson, it's on Dorsey to find the first franchise quarterback in the rebooted Browns' history. Going with Sam Darnold not only make sense, but it's also what I'm hearing the team is leaning toward.

The USC junior doesn't have Josh Allen's arm strength, Baker Mayfield's playmaking or Josh Rosen's smooth stroke, but he is the best of all the traits put together. You don't have to worry about Darnold grabbing his crotch on the sidelines or wearing a "F--k Trump" hat to one of the president's golf courses, and there aren't the questions about his accuracy like there are with Allen. 

Darnold also has the body type to handle the AFC North with his thicker frame and toughness. He was recruited to play linebacker, after all. If the Browns want a franchise quarterback, Darnold is the safest way to go."

this "AFC North" body type stuff gets old. Big Ben has missed more games than Andy Dalton has since Andy was drafted in 2011. Ray Lewis is retired. James Harrison is in New England, and like 40 years old. Our QB's are targets because of our lack of running the football. When teams know you aren't going to run the football, they can be more aggressive at trying to defend the pass and rush at the quarterback. SInce 99', we have never led the league in rushing attempts. We haven't even cracked the top 5 in any year. Twice we finished 6th, but we had no other years being top 10. 

Darnold doesn't have the biggest arm, isn't elite at playmaking, doesn't have a smooth release, but he has the body to withstand hits. This sounds like Blake Bortles to me. 

2017-384 carries, 5th fewest attempts

2016-350 carries, fewest in NFL

2015-380 carries, 6th fewest.

2014-477 carries, 6th most. 

2013-348 carries, 3rd fewest.

2012-396 carries, 9th fewest.

2011-415 carries, 12th fewest.

2010-413 carries, 11th fewest.

2009-498 carries, 6th most. 

2008-409 carries, 9th fewest.

2007-440 carries, 17th fewest.

2006-372 carries, 2nd fewest.

2005-395 carries, 7th fewest.

2004-441 attempts, 16th fewest.

2003-412 carries, 6th fewest.

2002-406 carries, 7th fewest.

2001-417 carries, 11th fewest.

2000-336 carries, fewest in league.

1999-313 carries, fewest in league.

14 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

this "AFC North" body type stuff gets old. Big Ben has missed more games than Andy Dalton has since Andy was drafted in 2011. Ray Lewis is retired. James Harrison is in New England, and like 40 years old. Our QB's are targets because of our lack of running the football. When teams know you aren't going to run the football, they can be more aggressive at trying to defend the pass and rush at the quarterback. SInce 99', we have never led the league in rushing attempts. We haven't even cracked the top 5 in any year. Twice we finished 6th, but we had no other years being top 10. 

Darnold doesn't have the biggest arm, isn't elite at playmaking, doesn't have a smooth release, but he has the body to withstand hits. This sounds like Blake Bortles to me.

I mean every QB who has a bigger frame can just be pegged as Blake Bortles just like any QB under 6'1" can be Johnny Manziel.

Darnold is the safest pick at QB. He was the consensus #1 coming into this season and despite not lighting the world on fire this year he still has a lot of great traits to build off of. Every other QB in this draft has at least one major concern but Darnold does not. Allen has extreme turnover and accuracy issues, Mayfield has his height and Rosen has his slight build and attitude issues. None of which are a concern with Darnold. The worst thing you can really say about him as a prospect is that some of his mechanics need cleaned up but there is no glaring issue with his game that would really make scouts take a step back.

The Browns need 'safe' they do not need anymore 50/50 boom or bust picks in the 1st round and Darnold is the safe pick that still has a extremely high ceiling if he is put in the right situation with coaches and playcalling to succeed.

I feel calm and confident with Darnold. I dont want to go into the next season thinking "holy hell I really hope Rosen isnt the second coming of Jay Cutler"

13 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

2017-384 carries, 5th fewest attempts

2016-350 carries, fewest in NFL

2015-380 carries, 6th fewest.

2014-477 carries, 6th most. 

2013-348 carries, 3rd fewest.

2012-396 carries, 9th fewest.

2011-415 carries, 12th fewest.

2010-413 carries, 11th fewest.

2009-498 carries, 6th most. 

2008-409 carries, 9th fewest.

2007-440 carries, 17th fewest.

2006-372 carries, 2nd fewest.

2005-395 carries, 7th fewest.

2004-441 attempts, 16th fewest.

2003-412 carries, 6th fewest.

2002-406 carries, 7th fewest.

2001-417 carries, 11th fewest.

2000-336 carries, fewest in league.

1999-313 carries, fewest in league.

Huh?

2 minutes ago, bruceb said:

I absolutely hated picking Manziel.

It was beyond stupid.

No matter how hard I try not to I see Mayfield as Manziel 2.0 in too many ways.

lol with attitude, yes they are firey but playstyle couldnt be more different. Either way, I want safe. I want high floor guys in the top 5, not boom or bust. Boom or bust is why we are 1-31.

Sam Darnold is the safest QB prospect with the highest floor IMO and Saquon Barkley is probably the safest pick in the whole draft. Landing them at 1/4 would make me extremely confident heading into next year with no 'I pray to God this guy doesnt suck' feeling.

2 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

1. Dudes just a consultant 

2. They're not even close to having their QB board set. Dorsey said he's never even met Rosen

3. Not sure why coaches and personnel staff are pitted against each other.

I dont think they are I think people just assume that since there is a lot of 'consultants' in one room together that might fight over different opinions.

Scot McGlorfehfiehfna has already said on record he thinks Mayfield the best QB in this class and he would take him---and that freaks people out.

3 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

2. They're not even close to having their QB board set. Dorsey said he's never even met Rosen

It was the first assignment on a short fuse that he gave to his scouting staff.

Pretty sure they are closer than you think.

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

I dont think they are I think people just assume that since there is a lot of 'consultants' in one room together that might fight over different opinions.

Scot McGlorfehfiehfna has already said on record he thinks Mayfield the best QB in this class and he would take him---and that freaks people out.

I like watching him play too. He's not an NFL franchise QB and they know that. They'll take Darnold and let him sit. Do it right for once 

Archived