DE…Mitch Unrein

ILB…Christian Jones

OLB…Lamarr Houston

OLB…Sam Acho

CB…Prince Amukamara

CB…Kyle Fuller

P…Pat O'Donnell

LS…Andrew DePaola

Cunningham is the perfect #3 back in the NFL because he does everything well…Inman will make a solid #4/#5…Wright was our best WR last year and has a decent connection with Trubisky…Unrein is solid depth and again bring ST value…Jones has really started to come along…Houston played well enough that on a vet min contract I would give him a shot as a reserve…Aho is the new Idonije…awesome teammate who does a bit of everything…shocked to see he had 17 QBP last season…Amukamara has played pretty well when he has been out there…just needs to stay healthy…same goes for Fuller who again has really stepped up…O’Donnell has quietly became a very good punter this year…DePaola gets the job done.

Let Walk…

QB…Mark Sanchez

WR…Josh Bellamy

TE…Zach Miller

OT…Bradley Sowell

OG…Tom Compton

DL…John Jenkins

CB…Sherrick McManis

K…Mike Nugent

Sanchez just isn’t good enough to be a #2…time for Bellamy to go…Miller obviously isn’t returning…Sowell & Compton are both backups who lose out to younger options with more upside…Jenkins doesn’t offer much…McManis could still make the team on ST ability alone but hopefully he loses out to a better defender…Nugent can be upgraded.

Release…

QB…Mike Glennon

WR…Markus Wheaton

TE…Dion Sims

OG…Josh Sitton

ILB…Jerrell Freeman

OLB…Pernell McPhee

CB…Marcus Cooper

S…Quintin Demps

Glennon is an obvious cut at $18 million next season…Wheaton is being paid for nother…Sims just isn’t worth the money…Sitton is the most interesting one…he will be 32 years old and has started to show some signs of injury…he is making $8.6 million next season…Freeman has one too many bans…McPhee is just too injury prone to pay…Cooper started out okay but his play really fell off and he isn’t worth the month…Demps has shown nothing but he is not as active as Amos at SS.

Free Agents…

drew-stanton_10rrnvjb27pts1lhq1edg8ck3o.jpg?t=-1411157401&w=960&quality=70

QB…Drew Stanton…6-3” 233lbs…

Trubisky is off to a solid start as a starter but we need to bring in a backup who can guide him through the tough times…that is not Glennon or Sanchez…Stanton on the other hand is a QB who shares more of a skill set with Trubisky showing the ability to bootleg and move around in the pocket…he would be a solid fit in Nagy’s scheme and hopefully a quality clipboard holder.

4b7543c7915e4bd69cc2e95bd23aed9c.jpg?itok=-iTZTS_d

WR…Brice Butler…6-3” 215lbs…

I am always extremely wary of overpaying WRs in free agency…it seems like every year we see at least one or two guys completely bust…last year it was Pryor…I get the impression it could be a number of guys this year and I don’t want us to be the ones paying for it…Butler is a high potential guy who has done nothing but maximise his opportunities…in Dallas last year he went for 317 yards on just 15 receptions for an average of just over 21 YPC and turned 3 of those 15 into TDs…he is the deep threat we were looking for when we drafted Kevin White and that will be extremely important in this offence.

070517-wilson-thumb.jpg

WR…Albert Wilson…5-9” 200lbs…

More help for Trubisky in the form of Wilson…with Matt Nagy coming from KC signing a player who knows the scheme would be big…Wilson is a jack of all trades who can play in the slot to compete with Kendall Wright but also has lined up in the backfield in KC…with him and Cohen lining up all over the formation it creates mismatches which is exactly what Trubisky wants to take advantage of.

Troy+Niklas+New+England+Patriots+v+Arizona+Nr0xYyzI3rIl.jpg

TE…Troy Niklas…6-6” 270lbs…

One of the most underrated players in the entire NFL IMO…TE might not be a huge need but Niklas would be an excellent addition to this team…he has been buried on the Cardinals depth chart but brining him here and putting him alongside Shaheen & Simms would give us an excellent group of TEs who can really do it all…Niklas would be an excellent help in both the run game and as a pass blocker for Trubisky…also has the skills to be a target in the short to intermediate passing game.

170306_norwell_inside.jpg

OG…Andrew Norwell…6-6” 325lbs…

As I explained above this move would allow us to move on from Josh Sitton but upgrading to a younger healthy model for about the same price…Norwell is an excellent OG in both the passing and rushing game giving up just two sacks last season and finishing as PFF’s 7th overall OG…he would combine with Whitehair and Long to form unquestionably the best interior OL in the NFL and keep Trubisky upright as well as blowing open holes in the running game…this is where the big money is spend and putting an elite OL in place should be a priority…chances are we have to outbid the Giants.

usa-today-9007134.0.jpg

DL…DaQuan Jones…6-4” 323lbs…

Signing Akiem Hicks was a master stroke by Pace and this move would be similar…Jones is another huge man to put upfront next to Hicks and Goldman which would give him one on one matchups…against the running having basically half a ton of power in your front 3 can never be a bad thing and would allow our LBs to run sideline to sideline untouched…when rushing the passer he can use his sheer size advantage when singled up on guards and take to walk them back or at the very least tie them up to give other’s like the OLBs more opportunity to work.

0750480001434718037_filepicker.jpg

DL…Justin Ellis…6-2” 335lbs…

Goldman should be in line for a new contract and with Hicks already signed the nickel DL looks really good however the depth is pretty non-existent…Unrien is solid but depth only…Bullard has potential but hasn’t put it together yet…RRH hasn’t shown much either so finding some quality depth would make a ton of sense…Ellis is a big aggressive interior defender who has experience in both a 3-4 & 4-3…he has played DE and NT in the 3-4 and if he was starting would allow Goldman to move to the 3 tech…if not he gives us someone to spell Goldman and keep him fresh.

1229-Cockrell-Center1.jpg

CB…Ross Cockrell…6-0” 190lbs…

Another one of the more underrated players in the NFL…I was really surprised when the Steelers let Cockrell go to the Giants because he was their best CB…I have been a fan of his since he was coming out of Duke and while he isn’t a great athlete he plays with a ton of moxy and understands how to run the routes of the receivers…we know we will need a ton of DBs because of how Fangio uses them in rotation.

Draft…

Bears Trade 8th Overall Pick to Bengals for 12th Overall, 3rd & 4th round picks in 2018 Draft as…

The Bengals have learned the hard way that letting elite offensive linemen like Whitworth and Zeitler walk sets your way back…here they move up to find themselves a quality OL…more than likely one of the two ND guys…

Round 1 (via CIN)…

610093876.jpg.0.jpg

ILB…Tremaine Edmunds…6-4” 250lbs…Virginia Tech…

Looking at the potential board left I feel we are in a position to go a number of the ways but for me I think we need to trust that Nagy’s offence combined with year two of Trubisky will make the offence better naturally and move towards taking the best defensive playmaker on the board…this could be an OLB like Key or a CB like Jackson but I think the best player on the board would be Edmunds…at 6-4” 250lbs with outstanding length he brings unique size to the position…he is not only quick in a straight line but have the agility and overall athletic ability to do anything asked or him…playing the run he has the size and strength to get off blocks and make tackles…when pass defence he is as big as most TEs and sometimes quick enough to even cover slot receivers…he can rush the passer too…a true 3 down LB with outstanding versatility he would be a chess piece for Fangio and the playmaker we have been missing…floor would be Anthony Barr…ceiling? Who knows at just 19 years old.

Round 2…

sam-hubbard-ohio-state-tulsa.jpg

OLB…Sam Hubbard…6-4” 265lbs…Ohio State…

With Fangio back we know we are going to have a pretty basic defence that will rely on guys winning one on one battles to get to the QB…adding two huge defensive linemen helps tie up blocks and we got surprisingly good play from Houston & Acho down the stretch last year but we need someone to pair with Floyd who can really apply pressure from the edge…enter Hubbard who offers fantastic speed off the edge…his agility allows him to stunt and get skinny to attach all gaps…I think his skill set is far better suited to standing up than it was to playing with his hand in the dirt…he reminds me of Connor Barwin coming out of Cinncy.

Round 3 (via CIN)…

Cappa_Push.1516897340.jpg

OT…Alex Cappa…6-6” 300lbs…Humboldt State…

Keeping Trubisky upright has to be our number one concern moving forward because he really is the franchise…we have upgrades the interior by signing Norwell but we have to get better on the outside at OT…Leno is not a top quality LT but he is at least solid…Massie on the other hand is too inconsistent to trust at RT so we need to find someone to at least compete…I don’t know much about Cappa’s personal life but someone bad must have happened cause that dude is angry…real angry…he finishes his blockers with a nasty streak that very few others have…I mean he wants to put him man in the ground not on it…he isn’t just all aggression tho showing loose hips to mirror pass rushers and the athletic ability to get out in from of RBs and WR on screens which will be essential in this offence.

Round 4…

7644962.jpg

WR…Trey Quinn…6-0” 203lbs…SMU…

No doubt we could go WR before this but with the way the board falls and if we can pick up Wilson & Butler in FA and if we have faith that Meredith is coming back 100% then we will be in a good position to wait…Nagy’s offence will not need an out and out #1 WR…it relies on spreading the ball around and taking advantage of matchups…with this offence I expect us to value quickness, agility and speed and that is what Quinn brings…he can line up on the outside or in the slot…he can beat guys deep or by using his short area quickness to be a safety blanket…he averaged over 3 receptions per game more than 1st round pick Courtland Sutton and was at one point an LSU player…kid has talent.

Round 4 (via CIN)…

100116_FBvsPurdue_Jackson_mwr01-1024x683.jpg&mode=crop&w=1200&q=99

CB…J.C Jackson…6-0” 193lbs…Maryland…

Time for a gamble on talent…J.C Jackson was a highly recruited prospect who signed with Florida out of high school but then ran into off the field issues and transferred to Maryland…there is a ton of Marcus Peters to this guy…size, length, speed, agility, physicality, ball skills, aggression and swagger…he has everything you could want to be a #1 CB in the NFL but those redflags will drop him and might make him a wasted pick but at some point the rewards start to outweigh the risk…bring him into what should be a strong dressing room with Fangio, Donatell, Hicks, DT59 & Acho and you could have a top quality CB on your hands.

Round 4 (via BUF)…

601953530.jpg?w=610&h=343&crop=1

TE...Tyler Conklin...6-3" 253lbs...Central Michigan...

I have a lot of faith in Shaheen being able to do a lot of the same things Kelce can do in Nagy’s offence…his size, speed and basketball background make him a difficult matchup for any defender…I think Niklas could be excellent as an inline TE with Shaheen in the slot…that said I think he can be an even better blocker than Kelce was early in his career so being able to line him up inline sometimes and have a move TE in the slot would create even more of a matchup problem…Conklin is flying under the radar a little right now…he is a solid positional blocker but his true worth is as a receiver…in shorts at the combine I doubt he does anything special in terms of athletic numbers but he is solid and more important an excellent football player who uses his savvy to get open against DBs and has excellent hands…he would be another versatile player for this offence who fits the mould of the type of player who will have success.

Round 5…

darrel-williams-lsu-vs-syracuse-e2a75552a7f3b76f.jpg

RB…Darel Williams…6-0” 235lbs…LSU…

The running game will continue to be just as important under Nagy as it was under Fox but for very different reasons…we may not see as many runs but we will see a more effective running attack used to set up the playaction and deep passes…Howard’s numbers have been down a little this year but only because teams have not had to worry about our passing game enough not to simply load the box and bottle up the run…I expect that to change and I also expect us to take some of the load off of Howard and make him a more effective runner rather than a volume one…Williams is a very similar back and would give us another power runner in the backfield allowing us to use both he and Howard to pound teams then sprinkle in a little Cohen at both RB, WR and in any other spot we think we can get him in space…Williams has good hands and the fact he was only a backup at LSU means he doesn’t have many miles on the clock.

Round 6…

kick.jpg

K…Daniel Carlson…6-4” 218lbs…Auburn…

Santos hasn’t looked healthy since he got here so finding a long-term solution would be a good idea…Carlson is the best kicker in the nation IMO.

Round 7…

9530939-ncaa-football-central-florida-at-michigan.jpeg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

OLB...Mike McCray...6-4" 248lbs...Michigan...

Adding another versatile player LB to the mix can never be a bad thing…McCray can rush the passer and can also play as an ILB…he would be a key special teamer also…the hope is this dude becomes a young Acho.

Depth Chart…

QB…Mitch Trubisky…Drew Stanton                        

RB…Jordan Howard…Darel Williams…Benny Cummingham

OW…Tarik Cohen                                                            

WR…Cameron Meredith…Trey Quinn…Dontrelle Inman

WR…Brice Butler…Kevin White                

WR…Albert Wilson…Kendall Wright                         

TE…Adam Shaheen…Tyler Conklin…Troy Niklas

LT…Charles Leno                                                            

LG…Andrew Norwell…Jordan Morgan                    

C…Cody Whitehair…Hroniss Grasu                           

RG…Kyle Long                                                  

RT…Alex Cappa…Bobby Massie                

LE...Akiem Hicks…Mitch Unrein                         

NT...Eddie Goldman…Justin Ellis                         

RE...DaQuan Jones…Jonathan Bullard                             

LOLB...Leonard Floyd…Sam Acho                            

ILB...Danny Trevathan…Nick Kwiatkoski                          

ILB...Tremaine Edmunds…Christian Jones                       

ROLB...Sam Hubbard…Lamarr Houston…Mike McCray

NB...Kyle Fuller…Bryce Callahan                         

CB...Ross Cockrell…J.C Jackson                          

CB...Prince Amukamara…Cre'Von LeBlanc                     

SS...Adrian Amos…Deon Bush                            

FS...Eddie Jackson…Deiondre' Hall…Deandre Houston-Carson             

P…Pat O'Donnell

K…Daniel Carlson

LS…Andrew DePaola

Free Agency

-Would be shocked if we were in on Norwell. He is going to be the highest paid OG in football and Rumor is he and Gettlemen are getting back together in NYG.

-Like the WR adds you made, probably what is realistic.

-I am not sure Niklas catches the ball well enough to be used in the offense a lot.

-I think we will be surprised what those DLmen will get paid.

Draft

-I think the trade down takes us out of the Edmunds range. Hard pressed to see Oakland and Miami who both desperately beed a LB passing.

-With an understated free agency at WR I think they will draft one earlier.

-I would make the trade regardless of who is on the board, other than Chubb.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Free Agency

-Would be shocked if we were in on Norwell. He is going to be the highest paid OG in football and Rumor is he and Gettlemen are getting back together in NYG.

-Like the WR adds you made, probably what is realistic.

-I am not sure Niklas catches the ball well enough to be used in the offense a lot.

-I think we will be surprised what those DLmen will get paid.

Draft

-I think the trade down takes us out of the Edmunds range. Hard pressed to see Oakland and Miami who both desperately beed a LB passing.

-With an understated free agency at WR I think they will draft one earlier.

-I would make the trade regardless of who is on the board, other than Chubb.

I wouldn't be shocked if we spent smart money on Norwell...even at $10 million a year he is an elite OG who is young and is only $2 million a year more than Sitton...as I said we would need to outbid the Giants but given how much they have spend in FA recently that is a real possibility...

Niklas isn't here to catch the ball...he is here to free up Shaheen to play all over the formation...Niklas is an excellent blocker...

Jones will get decent money no doubt...Ellis not so much due to the fact he is a two down player...

I have no doubt Oakland take a LB but I think it's Smith who is a sure thing IMO and will make an even bigger impact from day one...Miami must go OL...

I just think we are looking for a skill set at WR that can be found later in the draft.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Would that really be a major issue with the cap going up? I don't mind investing big money in young elite players.

Neither do I.

But Whitehair is also due an extension within the next 2 seasons.

You could have an interior OL making a combined 32 million. Unless Long is released.

9 minutes ago, G08 said:

Kind of curious if we kick Whitehair over to LG and draft a center in round 4 or 5...

I can see them moving Whitehair back to LG where he shined as a rookie and signing Zach Fulton to play C.  If that were the case then I don't think they'd need to draft a center, but more so a tackle that can back up both Leno and Massie.   That would leave us with a line looking like this.  Not too shabby.

LT: Leno, Rookie (swing tackle)

LG: Whitehair, Morgan

C: Fulton, Grasu

RG: Long, Kush

RT: Massie, Rookie (swing tackle)

Just now, topwop1 said:

I can see them moving Whitehair back to LG where he shined as a rookie and signing Zach Fulton to play C.  If that were the case then I don't think they'd need to draft a center, but more so a tackle that can back up both Leno and Massie.   That would leave us with a line looking like this.  Not too shabby.

LT: Leno, Rookie (swing tackle)

LG: Whitehair, Morgan

C: Fulton, Grasu

RG: Long, Kush

RT: Massie, Rookie (swing tackle)

I’m pretty sure Whitehair played all season as a C last year, they move him there a few days before the first game of the season. 

Makes sense to me... LT > RT > OG > C

Find a 4th or 5th rounder you love at let him compete with Grasu at center.

Cut Massie, kick Whitehair over to LG, let Morgan take another year to develop and Kush can backup all three positions (assuming we even keep him).

21 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

I’m pretty sure Whitehair played all season as a C last year, they move him there a few days before the first game of the season. 

He did, I was referring to his rookie year in 2016 when he graded out as one of the best guards in the league according to PFF.

I just think a signing of Zach Fulton makes too much sense.  Played for both Nagy and Hiestand, is an upgrade to the line and allows them to move players to their best positions.

This could then allow them to focus on a pass rusher or DB in the 1st and hit OL later in the draft.

Archived