Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

It’s crazy because the FO Didn’t really make any effort to make deadline acquisitions preparing for a stretch playoff run or compete for a series or anything. But they are most assuredly patting themselves on the back and standing on top of Tito’s shoulders and calling themselves tall today. Credit to the coaching and these young kids. Big accomplishment.

• Like 4

On 9/25/2022 at 6:32 PM, NateDawg said:

It’s crazy because the FO Didn’t really make any effort to make deadline acquisitions preparing for a stretch playoff run or compete for a series or anything. But they are most assuredly patting themselves on the back and standing on top of Tito’s shoulders and calling themselves tall today. Credit to the coaching and these young kids. Big accomplishment.

I dont think it was the FO not wanting to make any moves, it was prolly not being allowed to make moves because of the Dolans. They were still in an awkward state when it came to the deadline. They could have been buyers or sellers but decided to stand pat. I really wanted them to make a move for Soto because of the time left on his contract and by the time he was a FA, Dolans might have had at least 1 foot out the door, so the minority owner could have kicked in more money to keep Soto so he has a stacked team when he takes over.

I think the FO was just banking on the rookies getting better with more experience and that the starting pitchers would come back to the mean. They pitched well under their average. Heck, if our pitchers pitched this well all season, they could have competed for top spot in the AL.

FO did the best with what they are given. Ill give them that credit. It be great to see an ownership give them all the resources in the world and see what they could do. it be great to see what they could piece together if they had a real payroll to work with.

37 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Perfect way to summarize this team from :20 to 3:30 @roger murdock if you haven’t been able to watch the team.

The comparison to the 2015 Kansas City Royals who won the World Series is our ceiling.

Really awesome thanks for sharing. 

Funny enough over the last 2-3 years in threads on visions for building the Browns, or building the Cavs, you and I have shared similar sentiment - Don't play copy cat ball, do your own thing, have a unique game or play style. Its easier to win doing your own thing and having good matchups than it is to win by being the best of the 28 teams all trying the same thing. I know we discussed this regarding the Browns trying to be bigger/stronger on offense to counter the speed game defenses are adjusting to, and I know we discussed regarding the Cavs and having 2 huge rangey bigs as our competitive advantage. 

It seems the Guards are doing this full force and I love it. Been watching them more recently and love the teams vibe. Bit of a man crush on Kwan too. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Really awesome thanks for sharing. 

Funny enough over the last 2-3 years in threads on visions for building the Browns, or building the Cavs, you and I have shared similar sentiment - Don't play copy cat ball, do your own thing, have a unique game or play style. Its easier to win doing your own thing and having good matchups than it is to win by being the best of the 28 teams all trying the same thing. I know we discussed this regarding the Browns trying to be bigger/stronger on offense to counter the speed game defenses are adjusting to, and I know we discussed regarding the Cavs and having 2 huge rangey bigs as our competitive advantage. 

It seems the Guards are doing this full force and I love it. Been watching them more recently and love the teams vibe. Bit of a man crush on Kwan too. 

I 100% agree with you.

The only downside of this style of play is that you don’t have power. The only guys I could envision hitting homeruns in colder weather are Jose Ramirez, Josh Naylor, and Andres Gimenez. That’s because Naylor is a pure power guy and the other 2 are “franchise” players you expect more out of.

In post season play we have 5 rock solid players I trust: Ramirez, Gimenez, Kwan, Rosario, and Naylor. We absolutely need those last 2 I mentioned to be consistent. Think of those 2 as role players around a Big 3 in basketball.

Edited by candyman93