Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

Just now, buno67 said:

There not making money, it’s why there not reinvesting back into the roster /s

its been talked about that they have been considering selling the team for the past few years.and believe that within the next 3-5 years they might be sold. Reports have said the reason they might be trimming the spending and not want to resign frankie is so they can make a bigger return. The new owner of KC said has said that. He was suppose to be the next owner in line but KC became available first

There’s a difference between revenue and value. The value of the team has, and will continue to, increase every year.

The couple million they make/lose on the operating budget year to year is small potatoes compared to the overall increasing valuation of the asset.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

There’s a difference between revenue and value. The value of the team has, and will continue to, increase every year.

The couple million they make/lose on the operating budget year to year is small potatoes compared to the overall increasing valuation of the asset.

They bought the team for $323 million 20 years ago and it's evaluated by Forges at over $1.15 billion as of April of 2019.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/cleveland-indians/#3e2f78aa6ef3

Please, someone tell me where I can get over a 300% return on my investment after 20 years.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

yeah, every MLB is going to gain value every year and year. 

But just from the rumors that have gotten stronger and stronger over the past 2 years or so about them selling relatively soon, like with in  5years. 

they might not sell and the rumors will be rumors but they need to sell this team and let someone who wants to actually win on the field take the spot. Would love to see an ownership give the FO more money to play with. FO is amazing with what they are given, it be interesting to see what they could do with more money to spend on FA signings or money they could take on in trades 

32 minutes ago, buno67 said:

yeah, every MLB is going to gain value every year and year. 

I get that, which is why they’re rarely sold

32 minutes ago, buno67 said:

But just from the rumors that have gotten stronger and stronger over the past 2 years or so about them selling relatively soon, like with in  5years. 

they might not sell and the rumors will be rumors but they need to sell this team and let someone who wants to actually win on the field take the spot. Would love to see an ownership give the FO more money to play with. FO is amazing with what they are given, it be interesting to see what they could do with more money to spend on FA signings or money they could take on in trades 

Yeah it would be great, but it would also surprise me tbh.

10 hours ago, buno67 said:

There not making money, it’s why there not reinvesting back into the roster /s

With massive reductions in payroll, I find this hard to believe.

I think they are maximizing their short-term return and positioning for a larger net long-term return for a sale.

They are not about winning...they are about making money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

With massive reductions in payroll, I find this hard to believe.

I think they are maximizing their short-term return and positioning for a larger net long-term return for a sale.

They are not about winning...they are about making money.

Have heard some pretty convincing arguments on this front, that when you are trying to sell a large asset you cut expenses as much as possible for a short time, counting on your profits to continue unhindered for that same short time, and creating a bump in overall profitability that you can attempt to leverage into a better deal.

And each team got about 200 million this year from the revenue sharing deal plus their local money. So I'm gonna throw the BS flag that they lost money with a payroll of only about 120M and an assumption that ticket sales could cover things like maintenance of the Jake, team employee salaries, advertising and marketing, etc.

(So we all know, they've cut our payroll this year to 80M, so assuming NO revenue growth, they'd have to spend 120M on employee salaries, maintenance, marketing, etc. AND earn nothing from local revenue sources in order to lose money.)

• Like 3

On 2/19/2020 at 7:25 AM, MWil23 said:

They bought the team for $323 million 20 years ago and it's evaluated by Forges at over $1.15 billion as of April of 2019.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/cleveland-indians/#3e2f78aa6ef3

Please, someone tell me where I can get over a 300% return on my investment after 20 years.

That’s actually not that good of a return. Over 20 years that’s 6.5% annual return. Nice but hardly out of ordinary. 

1 hour ago, roger murdock said:

That’s actually not that good of a return. Over 20 years that’s 6.5% annual return. Nice but hardly out of ordinary. 

Yeah, fair point. They should probably just sell the team since they aren't getting "that good" of a return. If they sell now, they'll only pocket a cool $700+ million after their initial investment.

4 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Plan on watching the Cavs or Indians on STO or FoxSportsOhio?  Got YoutubeTV?  You won't be able to do so after Feb 29th.  

Sinclair and YTTV's digital pi&&ing contest continues.....

i have dish

Missed the last month plus of the Indians

Haven't seen a single Cavs game live this year...

Sinclair needs to head over to china and drink some coronas