Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Lindor is about to get paid! Only a handful of teams can afford to sign a player like Lindor. So instead of competing say with 10-15 teams for his services, they are only competing with 5. At the time the Redsoxs were dealing with Mookie and so they prolly had no interest in Lindor. So the market was even more in the Dodgers favor. Hopefully now the Redsoxs get involved and can increase the trade value. Those teams can also just sit back and wait for him to hit FA. Let a small market team rent him for a season or half a season and than scoop him up. 

baseball sucks for the small market team to have a top tier player cause it’s nearly impossible to keep those players. Look at the Indians. Couldn’t keep Belle, couldn’t keep Manny, couldn’t keep Thome, couldnt keep CC. Won’t be able to keep Lindor. 

Ohh let’s keep going 

omar, Roberto Alomar, cliff lee, victor Martinez, 

I blame it on cheap ownership not the market. Detroit hasn’t had an issue spending. Minnesota will spend from time to time even Milwaukee. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Ohh let’s keep going 

omar, Roberto Alomar, cliff lee, victor Martinez, 

I blame it on cheap ownership not the market. Detroit hasn’t had an issue spending. Minnesota will spend from time to time even Milwaukee. 

When the players I listed left, they were easily the best or top3 player at their position. Omar was past his prime. Alomar was past his prime, cliff lee was pretty darn good but he wasn’t the best lefty or in the conversation as best lefty like CC. Victor was a moved to prepare for Santana. Victor was traded in ‘09 and Santana got the call up in ‘10

guys like I listed were players ownership wanted to keep but just couldn’t afford to keep cause they were way too pricey. Dolan’s would love to keep Lindor but he is going to cost $300+

Yeah but that spending killed the teams like the Tigers. They struggled there for awhile cause verlander was breaking down and so was miggy but couldn’t move those guys. Verlander was a waiver trade if I remember. 

also the small market teams who get these players, usually got lucky and resigned them before they got huge, very similar to what the Indians do. We just weren’t able to do that with Lindor. You can’t do that with those elite players 

6 hours ago, buno67 said:

When the players I listed left, they were easily the best or top3 player at their position. Omar was past his prime. Alomar was past his prime, cliff lee was pretty darn good but he wasn’t the best lefty or in the conversation as best lefty like CC. Victor was a moved to prepare for Santana. Victor was traded in ‘09 and Santana got the call up in ‘10

guys like I listed were players ownership wanted to keep but just couldn’t afford to keep cause they were way too pricey. Dolan’s would love to keep Lindor but he is going to cost $300+

Yeah but that spending killed the teams like the Tigers. They struggled there for awhile cause verlander was breaking down and so was miggy but couldn’t move those guys. Verlander was a waiver trade if I remember. 

also the small market teams who get these players, usually got lucky and resigned them before they got huge, very similar to what the Indians do. We just weren’t able to do that with Lindor. You can’t do that with those elite players 

Roberto was 4th in mvp and had just won a silver slugger and gold glove the year before. He failed after he left because he couldn’t handle NY and then got hurt. Indians cheeped out on him because they didn’t wanna pay him 7M. Cliff lee was absolutely in the discussion for best lefties he had just won the cy young. but regardless I hate the small market argument.  We’re not a small market we’re a mid market and even small markets eventually pony up for their stars. 

• Like 1

Think I read somewhere that they are stacking up on the younger players...found it:

"Off-Site Team (15) -- Nolan Jones (3B), Tyler Freeman (SS), George Valera (OF), Daniel Espino (RHP), Ethan Hankins (RHP), Sam Hentges (LHP), Triston McKenzie (RHP), Jean Carlos Mejia (RHP), Eli Morgan (RHP), Kyle Nelson (LHP), Nick Sandlin (RHP), Bo Naylor (C), Aaron Bracho (2B), Bobby Bradley (1B), Ernie Clement (SS)"

https://www.si.com/mlb/indians/opinion/breaking-down-the-cleveland-indians-2020-player-pool

2 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Probably will depend on how fast we are out of the gate.

If we come out hot I don’t think we see much of them. Every game matters this year and we can’t afford to waste time on prospects. But if we come out like hot trash I can see it. 

2 minutes ago, bruceb said:

It would be the best use of the limited season.

Why? You burn a year and accelerate their MLB contract if they get a year under their belt. Not worth it cause they won’t develop as much because of the limited games.

you hope the pitchers go balls out in a shortened season. If this staff can reach their full potential, they could be a nightmare in the postseason when the 4th/5th starter can become a bullpen arm

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

You burn a year and accelerate their MLB contract if they get a year under their belt

Will this count as a full year for vesting?

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

you hope the pitchers go balls out in a shortened season.

Francola sure does know how to burn out pitchers, especially relievers.

No thanks.

Try that and even if they get to the postseason their tanks will be empty as we have seen happen all too often.