Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

BuT HiS FreEDoM oF SpEeCH!

LOL

People who erroneously apply that to employment are morons. He’s not getting prosecuted for saying that. He can legally say or express whatever he wants, but that doesn’t mean he can stay employed. If you don’t believe me, stroll into your boss’s office, give him/her a Degeneration X chop, middle finger, tell him/her they’re awful colorfully, and see what happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

LOL

People who erroneously apply that to employment are morons. He’s not getting prosecuted for saying that. He can legally say or express whatever he wants, but that doesn’t mean he can stay employed. If you don’t believe me, stroll into your boss’s office, give him/her a Degeneration X chop, middle finger, tell him/her they’re awful colorfully, and see what happens.

I had a student do that to me in class about 20 years ago.  I told him that I'd watched just enough wrestling to know that his a$& had better beat me to the office.  :) I "followed" him there, he got into a little bit of trouble, and now, he is a highly respected businessman here in town, and I see him quite frequently.  Love busting his chops about it to this day.  Worthy of a great laugh.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What is insubordination?  If kids talk trash on Twitter?

More like when teachers post things they don’t like about district policy/frustrations on Facebook. Trying to tell teachers “You aren’t speaking as a parent like you think you are; you’re bashing your employer.” is lost on some.

• Like 1

I don't want to walk down the slippery slope, so I will keep this as vanilla as possible, without receiving the wrath of mods or webby.  Not sure how I feel about this "cancel culture"  At times I think that it is crazy to fire people when they say something stupid, and other times I feel outraged, to the point of this needs to happen (getting fired)

I know each situation is different, but it should be applied to EVERYONE.  Nick Cannon made some anti-semetic comments on a podcast, and lost his MTV gig, but Viacom decides to keep him, and he will continue to make boatloads of cash doing the Masked Singer.  It has come to light that Ellen Degeneres has had an awful work environment, and is known to be a piece of garbage to people.  They fire 3 top brass, and she continues to be employed. IDK man...just need to see some consistency.

Edited by big poppa pump
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

More like when teachers post things they don’t like about district policy/frustrations on Facebook. Trying to tell teachers “You aren’t speaking as a parent like you think you are; you’re bashing your employer.” is lost on some.

Ah ok.  I thought you meant students.  No it should be pretty obv for teachers.

14 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I don't want to walk down the slippery slope, so I will keep this as vanilla as possible, without receiving the wrath of mods or webby.  Not sure how I feel about this "cancel culture"  At times I think that it is crazy to fire people when they say something stupid, and other times I feel outraged, to the point of this needs to happen (getting fired)

I know each situation is different, but it should be applied to EVERYONE.  Nick Cannon made some anti-semetic comments on a podcast, and lost his MTV gig, but Viacom decides to keep him, and he will continue to make boatloads of cash doing the Masked Singer.  It has come to light that Ellen Degeneres has had an awful work environment, and is known to be a piece of garbage to people.  They fire 3 top brass, and she continues to be employed. IDK man...just need to see some consistency.

Wholeheartedly agree! The standard is the standard. Failure to apply it to any individual is bias and showing/demonstrating preferential treatment, regardless of the reason.

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Ah ok.  I thought you meant students.  No it should be pretty obv for teachers.

No joke. You'd think, wouldn't you?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I think most are conflicted too tbh.

I hate seeing someone lose everything (or at least a lot) because of one lapse in judgment, but at the same time using a word like Thom Brennamen did, in a work setting (especially his line of work where hot mics are a thing), in 2020 is mind blowing.  Like, you simply can’t do that.  I know I’d lose my job if I did that and I can’t think of any reason why he shouldn’t.

Say the Red Sox call and offer Verdugo + for Clevinger. Is that something the Indians have to consider?

He would give us the first real outfield piece to consider a building block for the future in the last 5 years. If we can get him and another high level bat, like Triston Casas, it certainly would be something to consider. Clevinger is still under control for 2 years obviously, but price tag is going to grow quickly. Would lose some proven big time stuff in Cleveinger, but still left with Civale, Bieber, Plesac, Carrasco, and now McKenzie, the rotation still looks to be one of the best in baseball and we need to find a way to get production from the OF spots. 

28 minutes ago, FEARtheELF said:

Say the Red Sox call and offer Verdugo + for Clevinger. Is that something the Indians have to consider?

He would give us the first real outfield piece to consider a building block for the future in the last 5 years. If we can get him and another high level bat, like Triston Casas, it certainly would be something to consider. Clevinger is still under control for 2 years obviously, but price tag is going to grow quickly. Would lose some proven big time stuff in Cleveinger, but still left with Civale, Bieber, Plesac, Carrasco, and now McKenzie, the rotation still looks to be one of the best in baseball and we need to find a way to get production from the OF spots. 

I think Clevinger is bad for the lockeroom right now, so yes.

16 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Agree, but the Red Sox are not in a position to win even with a solid pitcher, so why would they do it?

They’re a weird franchise. They went through a stretch where they would be the worst team in their division and win the World Series the following year.

When you’ve got the big $$$ that they do, you can be a contender really quick.