Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

6 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Yes and No.

From a dollars/cents POV, they'll squeeze every dime that they can out of this, just like Loria did with the Marlins. They're essentially following his blueprint.

Idk, say they plan to sell in 3yrs. You sign Lindor to that deal, they are paying him prolly close to $100m over that time, telling me they couldn’t make that $100m back in the sale of the team? Feel like the Indians would have a higher value having a potential top10 player on the roster. 

On 10/30/2020 at 6:24 PM, buno67 said:

I wish I was old enough to remember that. 

Why do you say that?

Sorry forgot to address this. I don’t have anything concrete. I felt strongly there were better candidates out there to buy the Indians and somehow the lowly dolans ended up with the team. It just always seemed fishy to me. 

On 11/6/2020 at 5:07 PM, buno67 said:

Idk, say they plan to sell in 3yrs. You sign Lindor to that deal, they are paying him prolly close to $100m over that time, telling me they couldn’t make that $100m back in the sale of the team? Feel like the Indians would have a higher value having a potential top10 player on the roster. 

Is there any chance this Lindor deal actually makes the Indians better in the long term? Like if the trade him for 2-3 good players that are .280/15 HR/75 RBI guys could the Indians actually be a better team?

Edited by AkronsWitness

49 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Is there any chance this Lindor deal actually makes the Indians better in the long term? Like if the trade him for 2-3 good players that are .280/15 HR/75 RBI guys could the Indians actually be a better team?

Much better, so long as they don't play hero ball or chase stats to inflate their worth, and hit in the clutch.

6 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Much better, so long as they don't play hero ball or chase stats to inflate their worth, and hit in the clutch.

lol man it is going to suck watching him in a Yankee uniform but hey, if the Indians can get a great prospect and maybe 1 or 2 other solid startable bats in the lineup its a win.

I would rather take a bunch of B-level bats in the order 1-7 over being extremely top heavy 1-4 and having D-level bats in over half the lineup 5-9 if that makes sense.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

lol man it is going to suck watching him in a Yankee uniform but hey, if the Indians can get a great prospect and maybe 1 or 2 other solid startable bats in the lineup its a win.

I would rather take a bunch of B-level bats in the order 1-7 over being extremely top heavy 1-4 and having D-level bats in over half the lineup 5-9 if that makes sense.

We haven't even been top heavy 1-4!

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

We haven't even been top heavy 1-4!

ha! Well yeah I was more or less just referring to Lindor/JRam/Reyes/Santana  as the only 4 guys in the order I had any faith in hitting the ball consistently.

I just looked it up and apparently the Mets are the leading team and I keep seeing any combo of Rosario/JD Davis/Nimmo/Gimenez. Do you know anythign about those guys?

12 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

ha! Well yeah I was more or less just referring to Lindor/JRam/Reyes/Santana  as the only 4 guys in the order I had any faith in hitting the ball consistently.

I just looked it up and apparently the Mets are the leading team and I keep seeing any combo of Rosario/JD Davis/Nimmo/Gimenez. Do you know anythign about those guys?

Just looked at each of them.

Nothing exciting.

2 weak hitting infielders and 2 MOR 27 year-old OF/3B guys.

7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

It seems like all our big trades only has one guy usually worked out. 

If we are in the Dolan universe, than yes, the Lindor trade works out cause you have 2-3 very cheap guys who are playing. If you had a real owner, who would allow the FO to sign legit FAs and acquire legit FAs in a trade more than once and awhile, then it doesn’t work out.  

7 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Sorry forgot to address this. I don’t have anything concrete. I felt strongly there were better candidates out there to buy the Indians and somehow the lowly dolans ended up with the team. It just always seemed fishy to me. 

Where they the only local buyers? Seems like the idea of the team being stolen might have played a factor since Jacob just saw the browns stolen a few years before

6 hours ago, buno67 said:

Where they the only local buyers? Seems like the idea of the team being stolen might have played a factor since Jacob just saw the browns stolen a few years before

Pretty sure there were local investors, my memory’s are thin going back that far though. And yes someone buying and moving the team was a huge consideration at the time. 

3 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Pretty sure there were local investors, my memory’s are thin going back that far though. And yes someone buying and moving the team was a huge consideration at the time. 

IMO they don’t talk about the Jacob’s sale of the team very often.