Jump to content

Cleveland Guardians official Thread: Take care Tito


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, bruceb said:

The FO is good at identifying and developing pitchers but don't seem to able to identify good hitting position players.

Seems like more than a few teams field a new phenom each year.

But not us.

Put of curiosity where did Kipnis, Santana, Jose and Brantley rank as prospects?

I know Brantley was the 'player to be named later' in the Cliff Lee trade. I don't think Jose was anything special as a prospect. No idea about Santana/Kip. But all of those guys were darn good.

I'm really hoping Naylor/Bradley/Ramirez/Reyes/Rosario can be thatnrd collection of long term guys

Edited by AkronsWitness
Link to post
Share on other sites

Random thought: I understand they are in different leagues, but does anybody else find it as stupid as I do that the Indians don't play the Pirates more?

They are 3 hours away from each other and I honestly cannot remember the last time they even played.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Random thought: I understand they are in different leagues, but does anybody else find it as stupid as I do that the Indians don't play the Pirates more?

They are 3 hours away from each other and I honestly cannot remember the last time they even played.

The Gods of scheduling work in mysterious ways?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Well, so far at least tonight, Bauers has been Bauers, and Bradley has been the second coming of someone good.

This is the best Cleveland's 5-8 hitters have looked since 2016. And Reyes isn't even here yet. Yeeesh.

Also, I'm loving Ahmed Rosario so far from that Lindor trade. Looks like we got a good one in return

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2021 at 9:22 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Random thought: I understand they are in different leagues, but does anybody else find it as stupid as I do that the Indians don't play the Pirates more?

They are 3 hours away from each other and I honestly cannot remember the last time they even played.

I think they way it works is (and I have been wrong plenty of times before) but each team is allowed to designate an "annual interleague partner".

That way, no matter what cross league division your division is playing that year - you always have a home and home series with that partner. (Until both teams agree to pick other partners).

For the Tribe, it is the Reds. So when the AL Central is playing the NL East, the Tribe and Reds still have a home and home. For the Tribe to play the Pirates more than the AL Central vs. the NL Central dynamic - they would need to sever the Tribe-Reds agreement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

I think they way it works is (and I have been wrong plenty of times before) but each team is allowed to designate an "annual interleague partner".

That way, no matter what cross league division your division is playing that year - you always have a home and home series with that partner. (Until both teams agree to pick other partners).

For the Tribe, it is the Reds. So when the AL Central is playing the NL East, the Tribe and Reds still have a home and home. For the Tribe to play the Pirates more than the AL Central vs. the NL Central dynamic - they would need to sever the Tribe-Reds agreement.

Makes sense but I just find it weird that the schedule makers dont look at the geographic locations of each team, see Cleveland and Pittsburgh and go "wait a min....something isnt right here" 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Makes sense but I just find it weird that the schedule makers dont look at the geographic locations of each team, see Cleveland and Pittsburgh and go "wait a min....something isnt right here" 

I just wish every so often they reshuffle the leagues and divisions

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2021 at 8:36 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Put of curiosity where did Kipnis, Santana, Jose and Brantley rank as prospects?

I know Brantley was the 'player to be named later' in the Cliff Lee trade. I don't think Jose was anything special as a prospect. No idea about Santana/Kip. But all of those guys were darn good.

I'm really hoping Naylor/Bradley/Ramirez/Reyes/Rosario can be thatnrd collection of long term guys

Wasn't Brantley part of the deal that sent Sabathia to Milwaukee? LaPorta was the big name, IIRC.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Wasn't Brantley part of the deal that sent Sabathia to Milwaukee? LaPorta was the big name, IIRC.

 

Yes. Brantley was the 'player to be named later' in that trade with the Sabathia trade. Cliff Lee trade brought us Cookie Carrasco. Trading Choo brought us Bauer. Vinnie Pastano trade brought us Mike "sunshine" Clevinger.

Believe it or not, the indians do have a really good track record of trading All Stars and getting good players in return that some people might not have seen at the time.

Which is why I'm reserving my judgement for the Lindor/Bauer/Clevinger trades until 2024

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yes. Brantley was the 'player to be named later' in that trade with the Sabathia trade. Cliff Lee trade brought us Cookie Carrasco. Trading Choo brought us Bauer. Vinnie Pastano trade brought us Mike "sunshine" Clevinger.

Believe it or not, the indians do have a really good track record of trading All Stars and getting good players in return that some people might not have seen at the time.

Which is why I'm reserving my judgement for the Lindor/Bauer/Clevinger trades until 2024

They’re incredibly competent and capable of finding talent, there’s no questioning that.

That’s why it’s so incredibly frustrating when ownership won’t open the checkbook a bit and let these guys make a run at a ring every once in a while.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

They’re incredibly competent and capable of finding talent, there’s no questioning that.

That’s why it’s so incredibly frustrating when ownership won’t open the checkbook a bit and let these guys make a run at a ring every once in a while.

 

They sort of pulled the trigger in that 2015-2016 run they had with Edwin, Miller and a few others but yeah, It has been quite some time since they resigned multiple players to long term contracts.

I get the feeling they think that since they have had such great luck in the past developing players--they can just keep doing it. Almost like it gives them a free pass.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yes. Brantley was the 'player to be named later' in that trade with the Sabathia trade. Cliff Lee trade brought us Cookie Carrasco. Trading Choo brought us Bauer. Vinnie Pastano trade brought us Mike "sunshine" Clevinger.

Believe it or not, the indians do have a really good track record of trading All Stars and getting good players in return that some people might not have seen at the time.

Which is why I'm reserving my judgement for the Lindor/Bauer/Clevinger trades until 2024

clevinger trade got us Franmil, so I think it has already worked out especially now that he is recovering from surgery on his throwing arm.

the front office is very good at identifying talent but we are expecting them to identify talent in young guys/prospects for every position and expecting them to hit on them all. 

it be great if this FO was able to do that to fill in gaps. it be great if they could get legit starting quality FAs or be able to keep their established vets. Then if there is a need, we call a guy up. We shouldnt expect the hopes of the season are on the should of say 4-5 prospects

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...