Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

8 minutes ago, buno67 said:

clevinger trade got us Franmil, so I think it has already worked out especially now that he is recovering from surgery on his throwing arm.

the front office is very good at identifying talent but we are expecting them to identify talent in young guys/prospects for every position and expecting them to hit on them all. 

it be great if this FO was able to do that to fill in gaps. it be great if they could get legit starting quality FAs or be able to keep their established vets. Then if there is a need, we call a guy up. We shouldnt expect the hopes of the season are on the should of say 4-5 prospects

Right and the Lindor trade got us Rosario who has looked really good so far this year. Hes leading the league in most 4+ hit games this year. Hes not the defender Lindor was but his bat looks like its going to be pretty good for a 25 year old. There are also a bunch of other lotto tickets they got in those Clev/Bauer/Lindor trades too that we likely wont hear from for another 3 years.

Edited by AkronsWitness

Looks also like one of our home grown selections is bearing fruit too. Bradley Zimmer was a first round selection (21st overall) in 2014. Hopefully, his injuries are behind him - because I think he has found a home home in the 9 hole of the batting lineup and in center field.

The other outfielder the Tribe must be patient with was acquired from the Cardinals for a now now AAA/AA outfielder and one that is no longer in baseball.

Oscar Mercado had a fabulous rookie season, then the wheels fell off. It happens. The clock is ticking, but he still is 26 years old. Plenty of time to have a good MLB career.

Edited by brooks1957

52 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Looks also like one of our home grown selections is bearing fruit too. Bradley Zimmer was a first round selection (21st overall) in 2014. Hopefully, his injuries are behind him - because I think he has found a home home in the 9 hole of the batting lineup and in center field.

The other outfielder the Tribe must be patient with was acquired from the Cardinals for a now now AAA/AA outfielder and one that is no longer in baseball.

Oscar Mercado had a fabulous rookie season, then the wheels fell off. It happens. The clock is ticking, but he still is 26 years old. Plenty of time to have a good MLB career.

Zimmer and Mercado both were really weird. Both were knocking on the door to breakthrough to the next level but both of them for a variety of reasons just fell to pieces. They were right there.

Zimmer was our #1 prospect in the system, the skill is obviously there--its just the confidence and consistency that he is lacking.

3 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

I want some of what you are smoking. (.216 BA and zero extra base hits so far.) Being a decent OBP guy with zero power is meh at best in the league these days. Like, if he's the worst hitting in our lineup I'm not super ticked, but I'm not looking for "can maybe be the worst hitter in our MLB lineup" from first round picks.

13 minutes ago, FGK said:

I want some of what you are smoking. (.216 BA and zero extra base hits so far.) Being a decent OBP guy with zero power is meh at best in the league these days. Like, if he's the worst hitting in our lineup I'm not super ticked, but I'm not looking for "can maybe be the worst hitter in our MLB lineup" from first round picks.

Yeah and he’s not young either.  If he was 21 and struggling I’d get it.  28?  Not so much.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, buno67 said:

but we are expecting them to identify talent in young guys/prospects for every position and expecting them to hit on them all. 

Hell, I would settle for one out of each bunch who is more than a JAG (or worse) each year!

4 hours ago, FGK said:

I would be dissatisfied with it but putting him in the 9 hole probably makes the most sense.

But his is hitting in front of freaking Hedges!

2 hours ago, bruceb said:

Hell, I would settle for one out of each bunch who is more than a JAG (or worse) each year!

Bobby Bradley looks like the real deal. If Zimmer can maintain some consistency here it would be great too. His defense and base running is elite, if he can just develop a .235-.240 average he will be a great end of the lineup guy.

Edited by AkronsWitness

On 6/15/2021 at 2:55 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah and he’s not young either.  If he was 21 and struggling I’d get it.  28?  Not so much.

On 6/15/2021 at 2:38 PM, FGK said:

Valid points.

But I have always liked his defense, and I heard last night during the broadcast that Bradley has raised his home batting average to over .300. That is usually the tougher side of the equation to accomplish. Hitting for a better average is usually easier on the road, due to self imposed pressure from the fans.

Now, all that being said - who I be chagrined if we got a better prospect in CF? Of course not. But I think Bradley has finally put the injury bug behind him and is showing what he is capable of. How long that lasts? Who knows....

3 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

Bradley has raised his home batting average to over .300. That is usually the tougher side of the equation to accomplish. Hitting for a better average is usually easier on the road, due to self imposed pressure from the fans.

I'd love it if Zimmer turned out, I'm just not holding my breath.

But I just don't think the above is true. I looked at 2019 and the home/road splits for all teams and only 13 of 30 have higher BAs on the road than at home (and that includes 5-6 with notoriously pitcher friendly fields). The friendliness or stinginess of the park seems to be a much, much bigger factor in BA than home/away for MLB players in general.