Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

Just now, candyman93 said:

BUT I WAS TOLD DOLAN IS STILL TRYING TO COMPETE

I mean...the Indians were 2 games out of 1st place until their entire starting pitching linup + multiple good position players got put on IR.

I dont expect them to win basically starting the Columbus Clippers rotation for a month+ and putting hitters on IR every other week.

• Like 1

Tribe selects 6'6" 240lb RHP Gavin Williams with the 23rd pick in the MLB draft.

Big boy. 21 year old. 4 year college player at East Carolina. 94-97 mph average fastball, with 2 power breaking balls.

Projects as a starting pitcher.

How fast will he rise through the minors? Will he work out in Cleveland?

Who knows - but.....

This organization's track record for developing pitchers is good.

3 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

Tribe selects 6'6" 240lb RHP Gavin Williams with the 23rd pick in the MLB draft.

Big boy. 21 year old. 4 year college player at East Carolina. 94-97 mph average fastball, with 2 power breaking balls.

Who knows - but.....

He's a 4th year senior too. I'm assuming they went this way because he's a good risk, but also because as a 4th year senior they probably set up an under-slot deal with him, allowing them to spend more on their picks today and get guys who are slipping because of high bonus demands.

9 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

Who knows - but.....

Bold prediction: He will be a plus starter within 3-4 years. About this time, Shane Bieber will have outperformed what we can pay him and will have been sent to a bigger market. We will then have a solid three years to enjoy really good pitching out of Gavin before he is an All Star for the Red Sox or Dodgers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

Bold prediction: He will be a plus starter within 3-4 years. About this time, Shane Bieber will have outperformed what we can pay him and will have been sent to a bigger market. We will then have a solid three years to enjoy really good pitching out of Gavin before he is an All Star for the Red Sox or Dodgers. 

fhawk

“I’ll go out on a limb,” said MLB.com’s Dan O’Dowd. “But I think he (Williams) can be absolutely the best pitcher taken in this draft.”

Edited by candyman93

23 hours ago, NateDawg said:

That’s fantastic. So if he develops at that kind of quick pace, we could possibly even get four or five good years out of him.

I, for one, am excited for our future replacement for Bieber, and then will be just as excited when we draft this kid’s roster replacement in 2-3 years.

• Like 1

The Indians have selected 11 players in the first two rounds of the 2021 draft. Ten of them have been college pitchers, including their first three picks -- RHP Gavin Williams, East Carolina University, LHP Doug Nikhazy, University of Mississippi and RHP Tommy Mace, University of Florida.

Lol

They wasted zero time getting Bieber, Plesac, and Civales replacements.