Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

44 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

It’s ridiculous they had to come up with a new name to begin with but given the options I don’t really have a problem with the choice. The logo and font however is a different issue. With all the cutting edge graphic designers out there and my four-year-old came up with the end product I think.

Still dont get why they didnt go with "Cleveland Tribe". Easy, simple, already this nickname, not offensive, promotes unity, ect

• Like 4

7 hours ago, DawgX said:

Just let them move to Nashville at this point.

Think that might be part of Dolan's plan.

The name probably will not go over too well with the fan base.

Or with a potential suitor.

Lower ticket and merch sales and soured potential suitors will give Dolan the option to have his cake and eat it too by moving the team.

10 hours ago, bruceb said:

Had an interesting conversation about this with a friend with Native American bloodlines.

He is pro CLE sports and was pissed.

"Replaced iconic with borderline moronic", he said.

Im not Native so I have no idea and dont want to sound ignorant BUT is Indians really that offensive to Native Americans?

I understand its technically not even the correct name because Columbus is a jackwagon and all of that but do Natives really see Indians as a degrading term?

I say that because if they dont, changing the name Indians further erases the spotlight on Natives.

Also--how is it that the Indians had to change their name out of respect to other cultures but I dont see teams like the Braves, Cheifs, Seminoles--why havent I hears a peep from those teams?

I dont want to sound ignorant, I honestly just want to be educated more on this whole thing.

Edited by AkronsWitness

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

It’s really too bad the rockers was already taken by our old WNBA team. That would have been a better name. 

Ehh, personally I like that they went away from the whole 'Rock and Roll' motif that Cleveland gets hammered with anytime a national spotlight is on them.

Seattle Mariners make sense and is easy, Colorado Rockies make sense and is easy, Arizona Diamondbacks makes sense and is easy, Tampa Bay Rays make sense and is easy, just cant beleive they couldnt come up with a team name based ON THAT HUGE BODY OF WATER sitting right next to them lol Instead we got some statues who 50% of Clevelanders didnt even know what they were.

Captains, Whitecaps, Admirals, Armada, Breakers, ect, ect. Cmon

Edited by AkronsWitness

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im not Native so I have no idea and dont want to sound ignorant BUT is Indians really that offensive to Native Americans?

I understand its technically not even the correct name because Columbus is a jackwagon and all of that but do Natives really see Indians as a degrading term?

I say that because if they dont, changing the name Indians further erases the spotlight on Natives.

Also--how is it that the Indians had to change their name out of respect to other cultures but I dont see teams like the Braves, Cheifs, Seminoles--why havent I hears a peep from those teams?

I dont want to sound ignorant, I honestly just want to be educated more on this whole thing.

I think that the Braves, Seminoles, and Chiefs are next on the chopping block.  I just saw a post eariler today (pretty sure that it was intended as satire (but I was up all night watching Aussie Rules Football, and only saw the twitter headline), that stated that well.....I'll let you read it.  

https://www.foxnews.com/media/concha-rips-woke-leftists-over-mlb-indians-name-change-new-york-jets-are-toast-because-of-global-warming

I'm one of those proverbial "baby boomers"....born almost exactly 9 months after the Cuban Missile Crisis, so I qualify as one of those "Oh, what the hell honey, babies" status.  I think I might be the poster child for that Simpsons gif "man yells at clouds".  

Oh, what an interesting world we live in.  

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

About 10 years ago, we had a speaker come in who was the head of the push to get rid of native mascots, but was adamant that he was “an Indian” and under no circumstances should we call him a Native American. The official U.S. codification is still American Indian.