Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

14 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im not Native so I have no idea and dont want to sound ignorant BUT is Indians really that offensive to Native Americans?

I understand its technically not even the correct name because Columbus is a jackwagon and all of that but do Natives really see Indians as a degrading term?

I say that because if they dont, changing the name Indians further erases the spotlight on Natives.

Also--how is it that the Indians had to change their name out of respect to other cultures but I dont see teams like the Braves, Cheifs, Seminoles--why havent I hears a peep from those teams?

I dont want to sound ignorant, I honestly just want to be educated more on this whole thing.

I might be way off here, but the name change has always made sense to me because of how hardcore tribe fans have been about maintaining Chief Wahoo as the primary logo.

Indians, while kind of a dumb name, isn’t straightforwardly mean spirited, but it’s kind of hard to argue against Wahoo. With a break from the Indians name it lets the franchise move beyond any of that stuff while more racially tied team names are held up to public scrutiny. We can argue all we want about how out of touch specific names sound, but this kind of thing was always going to happen. 

If you think the Indians were a good name think about what if we were called the Cleveland Italians and then had Notre Dames fighting Irishmen logo

Think of how retarded that would be. Well that’s literally what the Cleveland Indians were. It was the worst name in pro sports. 

52 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

If you think the Indians were a good name think about what if we were called the Cleveland Italians and then had Notre Dames fighting Irishmen logo

Think of how retarded that would be. Well that’s literally what the Cleveland Indians were. It was the worst name in pro sports. 

For starters, disagree.

And how is the Guardians better?

2 hours ago, bruceb said:

For starters, disagree.

And how is the Guardians better?

The Guardians is a generic name

indians is a generic name that’s also ignorant and embarrassing. The only reason people liked it was because that’s what it always was, which is the worst reason for anything. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, roger murdock said:

The Guardians is a generic name

indians is a generic name that’s also ignorant and embarrassing. The only reason people liked it was because that’s what it always was, which is the worst reason for anything. 

It wasn’t always Indians. Ironically, they named the team that after a (now called) Native American on the team 100+ years ago to honor him in a Jim Crow era. Indian isn't a slur; it’s officially American Indians.

You want to argue Chief Wahoo, great.

You want to argue Native Americans as mascots after we effectively committed national genocide, great.

You want to ignore the history behind it, do some research instead of assuming the worst. The name change intention was actually super great and noble. Societal pressure and standards for the meaning have drastically changed since then. This is revisionist history.

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, #32 said:

The Cleveland Cheapies!!! They trade gold glove Hernandez for double a scrub pitcher while they drafted 19 out of 20 picks. No more Tribe games for this Vietnam Vet!

You know they can trade those guys down the line

12 minutes ago, buno67 said:

You know they can trade those guys down the line

This was Cesar's last season under contract and that double A guy has actually been fantastic this year. I'm ticked at the ownership, but this is another solid move by the FO considering the hole that ownership has put them in.

• Like 1