Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

20 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

I don't hate it like I do basketball but I don't watch baseball either so I could very well be wrong about the teams they went to, but I feel like Machado and Harper signed solely for money and have ZERO shot at the playoffs next year. 

Phillies division is garbage outside of Atlanta and the braves are a young team, so you never know with them. That offense is going to be too good to miss the playoffs. Padres signed Machado thinking 2-3 years from now.

21 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

I don't hate it like I do basketball but I don't watch baseball either so I could very well be wrong about the teams they went to, but I feel like Machado and Harper signed solely for money and have ZERO shot at the playoffs next year. 

The Phillies should compete, even with their meh rotation outside of Nola, their offense is looking nice. Machado, yeah they won't compete this year, but he signed for ten years and they have some promising young MLB players right now as well as BY FAR the best farm system in the sport. So they will have both cost controlled youngsters AND solid vets they can trade those prospects for incoming.

38 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I don’t subscribe to that site but the link says 2010. 

graph says 2017 but I dunno. Don't know much about anything, just thought i'd add to something. Got the flu and want to be a part of the world in some way.

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

And fan attendance 

Fans might not go to the games but they watch them. Because they watch them, the Dolans were able to make a lot of money off of them. Pretty sure the Indians are one of the most watched teams in their own market compared to other teams.

Dolan, whose family owns the Indians, sold SportsTime Ohio to Fox Sports on Friday for an estimated $230 million. The deal gives Fox the rights to broadcast Indians games for at least the next 10 years. In that time frame, the Indians will receive at least $400 million in rights fees, beginning with $40 million in 2013.

STO paid the Indians about $33 million in rights fees last season.

6 hours ago, buno67 said:

Fans might not go to the games but they watch them. Because they watch them, the Dolans were able to make a lot of money off of them. Pretty sure the Indians are one of the most watched teams in their own market compared to other teams.

40M isn’t enough to pay salaries. You need fan attendance too. 

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

40M isn’t enough to pay salaries. You need fan attendance too. 

Phillies were 17th in attendance is that where they got all the Harper money from? Padres were 18th in attendance last year, is that where they got all the Manny money from? In ‘17 Phillies were 24th and Padres were 18th. In ‘16 Phillis were 24th again and Padres were 15th. 

Dolan is just freaking cheap. Didn’t buy the team cause he was some big time billionaire but bought it because  of a family trust. Jacobs was at least a rich business man who made a butt load of money and spent that money on the team. Dolan was a lawyer in freaking Geauga  county and only had the money because of a family trust. Dude is cheap  and doesn’t care about winning. If he did he would have known he could have bought a championship over the past two years if he was willing to spend money. 

Much rather have James Dolan be the owner of the Indians. 

Best part is Larry Dolan complains about money and that he has to be cheap but has never once opened the books to show what the Indians truly made and what they truly spend. If he wants to kill the cheap comments, he could easily show that this is what the team normally makes, this is their budget, and this is why we spend and let our big time players walk away, But they have never done that. He has always gone the way that would make him the most money instead of building a winner. His idea of spending money is one big signing once every 4/6years

if Jacobs was still owner of the team, bet you we never see Manny or Thome leave. Dolan buys the team and manny is gone that offseason. Thome’s contract expires 2 years later and he is gone. 

Dolan will never spend. He has never been a spender because he is cheap.

the team literally let good talent walk this offseason and they made some trades that freed up around $15-20m compared to last year. Do they reinvest that money into the team to make the outfield better? Bring in a legit 3B to make Jose a full time 2B, or more reliable arms in the bullpen? Nope, he is going to pocket that money. Also it’s why we see them Trade away prospects for guys who have years on a contract because there is a good chance for the Indians wont resign that guy so they try and get their money’s worth out of the trade. 

Do we seriously think Hand was a great get for Mejia? In a non- Larry Dolan world, no it was a bad trade but in a Larry Dolan world it is because you got established MLB pitching under control for a few years 

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

graph says 2017 but I dunno. Don't know much about anything, just thought i'd add to something. Got the flu and want to be a part of the world in some way.

I keep thinking you're ACDC and I don't like it.