Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

The silver lining is that Dolan is 88.

It also makes for an interesting Chicken/The Egg debate. Do we have poor attendance because of his miserly ways and bad blood from letting guys go in free agency/trading others, or is he refusing to spend money because of the attendance/others in 2019...the 1999-2003 fiasco caused some bad feelings, but the Browns coming back to town also showed where this city's loyalties lie and who is king in town.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

It also makes for an interesting Chicken/The Egg debate. Do we have poor attendance because of his miserly ways and bad blood from letting guys go in free agency/trading others, or is he refusing to spend money because of the attendance/others in 2019...the 1999-2003 fiasco caused some bad feelings, but the Browns coming back to town also showed where this city's loyalties lie and who is king in town.

Paul Dolan is the one who actually runs the team 

4 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Paul Dolan is the one who actually runs the team 

Right, but in reference above, I wonder when his dad dies if he will open up his pocket books and dedicate the Tribe to spending money and competing with the upper tier types.

22 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’ve never doubted that Dolan is cheap. That’s a fact of life. But the city hasn’t exactly supported the team financially. Some owners are willing to go into their own pockets. Dolan isn’t. 50% attendance rating is embarrassing. 

It is, but as I referenced earlier, fans can only watch a team let their favorite players/face of the franchise type guys walk so many times before you start to become disheartened.

It’s tedious.  

23 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Idk Dolan takes over and immediately starts allowing the talent to walk away. He allowed two HoFers walk away within 3years of each other.

i want to see from ‘00-‘09 the Indians had 2m fan attendance I think 4-5x with one season actually being 3m. So far since ‘10 we have had one season of 2m fans. It was the season after the World Series run and the team was good and they invested into the team. The attendance to me really started to drop when they became a cheap team and rarely brought in talent. It’s not like every Cleveland fan expects big signings every year but at least make signings that make the team better. Like Marwin Gonzalez. Dude signed for 2yra/$21m with the twins. You telling me the Indians couldn’t afford a player like that. He prolly would have loved playing with the Indians cause their contenders and play with guys like Jose amen frankie 

i think it’s hard to blame the Browns for their attendance issues. There is a strong baseball population here but also that they play in such different seasons. Nothing better than going to an Indians game in late May early June IMO. But when the team is garbage, I don’t want to go or when they show they don’t want to be true contenders. 

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It is, but as I referenced earlier, fans can only watch a team let their favorite players/face of the franchise type guys walk so many times before you start to become disheartened.

It’s tedious.  

Absolutely. Trading cc and lee back to back years killed the heart of the fan base. No one trusts the team anymore. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Absolutely. Trading cc and lee back to back years killed the heart of the fan base. No one trusts the team anymore. 

Belle, Manny and Thome all leaving did it for me, but yeah, those guys getting dealt didn’t help anything.

Lindor and JRam will be the coup de grace imo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Cant believe he’s signed on a minor league deal.  Or is 35. Or plays for the Indians.

We habitually snag players who once were very good near the ends of their careers when they are not very good.

Hoping to catch lightning in a bottle as an alternative to spending on very good players in their primes.

It’s like I don’t know how to feel about Lindor...

do we sign him to the deal he is worth and watch him accomplish nothing while we surround him with no talent cause they won’t have the money to sign anyone

or

let him walk so the Indians can still pull off these weird runs everyone and awhile

5 minutes ago, buno67 said:

do we sign him to the deal he is worth and watch him accomplish nothing while we surround him with no talent cause they won’t have the money to sign anyone

Only if it's with a hefty hometown discount.