Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Maybe I’m wrong, but the Dolans are boned. They had their chance with the Browns being garbage, but that’s over. Maybe they can pluck away some Cavs fans. Cavs are gonna be kinda screwed too because of the teams status and when they play during the regular season. It’s gonna be like the 70’s and 80’s.

Meh the Cavs/Indians are going to be right there with eachother. The Cavs (pending the upcoming draft) have a bright future with young players. They are in a similar place the Indians were in 2013-2014. The Indians are only regressing and are about to crest the hill on the Millennium Force. The Indians will always draw somewhat (even it its completely lackluster) crowd because its a much more casual sport where people who know nothing go just to hang out in the sun for $13/ticket. When the Cavs are bad like pre-Lebron, its like a funeral home at the games unless its a weekend night game.

Either way, I think both teams will go right back to being an afterthought once the Browns get going. They are always going to have middling/bleh attendance numbers until one of them catches lightning in a bottle and goes on another 4-5 year run.

Edited by AkronsWitness

11 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I can't speak for Milwaukee, but all four of those others are MUCH larger metro areas than Cleveland. Denver, Atlanta, Pheonix, and San Diego are 9, 11, 17, and 19 for population of metro area in the US. Cleveland is 33, behind Columbus, Austin TX, and Sacramento for comparison. The CLE metro area has about two million people. Atlanta is 5.8, Pheonix is 4.7, San Diego is 3.3 (and that is being very stingy about what counts as San Diego), and Denver is 2.8.

That means that, of those four teams, they are operating in markets that are roughly: 3, 2.5, 1.7, and 1.4 times larger than ours.

Fair point on the size of the markets.  I guess my point was more about how the Tribe draws versus how successful they are.  They are one of the most successful teams in the league in terms of wins, but are one of the lowest drawing teams in terms of attendance.

Over the last 5 seasons, the Indians are #4 in games won, and they are #29 in attendance.

34 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

Fair point on the size of the markets.  I guess my point was more about how the Tribe draws versus how successful they are.  They are one of the most successful teams in the league in terms of wins, but are one of the lowest drawing teams in terms of attendance.

Over the last 5 seasons, the Indians are #4 in games won, and they are #29 in attendance.

Yeah but those wins are loaded up because of ‘16/‘17’/‘18’and the attendance numbers are crap because of ‘14/‘15 when the team was pretty bad. Gotta remember from ‘09 to’12 they avg like 70wins a season and they saw that because the team was getting rid of talent like CC, Lee, and Victor. 

Indians have the run in ‘16 and the owners actually pretend like they care and invest into the team, so they avg close to 2m in attendance for the year in ‘17 and ‘18. Something that only happen 4 other times in the Dolan era. 

Teams without “star players” are a harder sell to casual fans.  Most non-baseball fans don’t know about Ramirez, Lindor, etc. because they’ve only been here a couple of seasons.  

Right now, if you or someone you know wanted a Tribe jersey, whose would you tell them to get?  Who is gonna be a guy who’s gonna be here for the next 5 years or who will have their number retired someday?  

We’ve had plenty of guys talented enough to get their number retired and with HOF ability over the last couple decades, and we’ve let them all walk, some multiple times.  It absolutely kills a fan base.

I’m not saying they have to get into bidding wars with eveyone, but that could have picked one player from those 90’ s teams to pay and keep.  They could have paid one of the Cy Young winners.  They can pay Lindor.  

Without that “face of the franchise” they’ll continue to be a team that lacks a “heart and soul” to a lot of fans and attendance will suffer.

At least imo.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Teams without “star players” are a harder sell to casual fans.  Most non-baseball fans don’t know about Ramirez, Lindor, etc. because they’ve only been here a couple of seasons.  

Right now, if you or someone you know wanted a Tribe jersey, whose would you tell them to get?  Who is gonna be a guy who’s gonna be here for the next 5 years or who will have their number retired someday?  

We’ve had plenty of guys talented enough to get their number retired and with HOF ability over the last couple decades, and we’ve let them all walk, some multiple times.  It absolutely kills a fan base.

I’m not saying they have to get into bidding wars with eveyone, but that could have picked one player from those 90’ s teams to pay and keep.  They could have paid one of the Cy Young winners.  They can pay Lindor.  

Without that “face of the franchise” they’ll continue to be a team that lacks a “heart and soul” to a lot of fans and attendance will suffer.

At least imo.

I agree with you. 100%

you want fans gotta give them a reason to see a talent. It’s with all sports really. 

To me it’s going to hurt losing lindor. I went to so many SingleA games of his back in the day because he was the young stud prospect. 

I think when he leaves that might hurt the most. I was a huge manny fan and I followed him to Boston and made them my #2 team but I don’t know I have it in me to follow another star player of ours to another team 

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I agree with you. 100%

you want fans gotta give them a reason to see a talent. It’s with all sports really. 

It’s not just talent though, it’s consistency too.  Seeing the same faces and drawing nostalgia.  Nostalgia and enjoyment go hand in hand. Hell, look how many folks were thrilled when guys like Lofton, Thome, Delly and LeBron (although for a multitude of reasons) returned.  It wasn’t just the talent, but the familiarity.

To me it’s going to hurt losing lindor. I went to so many SingleA games of his back in the day because he was the young stud prospect. 

I’m glad you mentioned this.

Im a bit older than you so when I was young the double A affiliate played in Canton (where I grew up) at Thurman Munson Stadium.  I went to all the baseball camps in the summer and had guys like Brian Giles and Sean Casey refine my swing. I still remember guys like Lee Tinsley and Joel Skinner taking the time to work with us kids.  Mike Sarbaugh was there too.  Think I don’t smile when I see him coaching 3rd?

I think when he leaves that might hurt the most. I was a huge manny fan and I followed him to Boston and made them my #2 team but I don’t know I have it in me to follow another star player of ours to another team 

It was Belle for me.  I was like 13 and he was my favorite.  I’d stop everything I was doing if I was outside playing catch, shooting hoops, etc to come in and watch every one of his at bats.  Prolly cried when he left.

The “final straw” for me was CC.  I am apparently a slow learner, but that’s when I realized the Dolans are running a business and not a pro ball club. Haven’t watched more than a handful of games in their entirety in years, maybe an inning or two every now and then.

I still love the game, it was actually my favorite sport as a kid, but I no longer have a passion for the team like I once did.

9 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

It’s almost like this was completely predictable. 

More like intentionally orchestrated. Trying to not so subtly dump salary and replace these guys with lower tier versions. If they aren’t competent offensively soon I’d bet on them trading Kluber and Bauer.