Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

8 hours ago, bruceb said:

He's a keeper...for 2-3 years at least.

well he isnt a FA until 2025. He will be one of those guys who will get a Kluber/JRam type contract. Will seem like a slight over pay but after a season or two it becomes a huge bargin. He wont become a Lindor, who got way too good way too fast that the contract didnt work out. Imagine if Frankie would have signed that $100m deal they offered hime a few years ago. It would be a major major bargin.

As much complaining as I have directed towards this front office, I now must eat crow. This deal certainly was their finest piece of thievery - maybe in the history of the franchise. Oscar Mercardo from the Cardinals for Connor Capel and Jhon Torres. Who? Are you serious? Frank Lane can officially rest in his grave now.....

2 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

As much complaining as I have directed towards this front office, I now must eat crow. This deal certainly was their finest piece of thievery - maybe in the history of the franchise. Oscar Mercardo from the Cardinals for Connor Capel and Jhon Torres. Who? Are you serious? Frank Lane can officially rest in his grave now.....

I think the FO has largely just been victimized by working under an owner not committed to opening up his checkbook to keep guys long-term. 

• Like 6

OK - here is where we are on the morning of Sept 12.

Tribe is trailing the Twins in the division race by 4 games. Tribe has 15 games left. 9 of those 15 are against teams with .500 or better records. (60% of the games left). (3) MIN, (3) PHI, (3) @ WSH. The remaining 6 against sub .500 teams are (3) DET and (3) @ CWS.

Minnesota has 17 games left - (2) games in hand on the Tribe. However, they only face better than .500 teams in 4 of the 17 contests. (24% of their games left). Just (1) WSH and (3) @ CLE. The remainder of their schedule is (3) CWS, (4) KC, (3) @ DET, and (3) @ KC.  

I am not ready to concede the AL Central flag just yet, but the only flickering hope the Tribe has is for us to sweep the Twins this weekend. Anything short of a sweep and we can walk over to the visitors dugout on Sunday afternoon and congratulate the Twins on a race well run.

The Tribe's most realistic path to the post season is as a wild card selection.

Currently, Tampa Bay leads the Wild Card race, but just by a scant half game. Oakland is currently in the second wild card spot. They are only a half a game in front of the Tribe. Boston is the next team behind the Tribe. It would take the mother of all miracles for them to make the postseason, as they currently sit a full ten games behind Oakland.

Oakland has 16 games left - with just tonight's game in Houston the only game against .500 or better records. Ouch.

Tampa Bay has 15 games left, but 8 of them are against teams of .500 or better (53%). Included in those 8 is a a quick 2 game trip to Chavez Ravine to meet the Dodgers.

Could be a dogfight with the Rays for the final playoff spot. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brooks1957 said:

OK - here is where we are on the morning of Sept 12.

Tribe is trailing the Twins in the division race by 4 games. Tribe has 15 games left. 9 of those 15 are against teams with .500 or better records. (60% of the games left). (3) MIN, (3) PHI, (3) @ WSH. The remaining 6 against sub .500 teams are (3) DET and (3) @ CWS.

Minnesota has 17 games left - (2) games in hand on the Tribe. However, they only face better than .500 teams in 4 of the 17 contests. (24% of their games left). Just (1) WSH and (3) @ CLE. The remainder of their schedule is (3) CWS, (4) KC, (3) @ DET, and (3) @ KC.  

I am not ready to concede the AL Central flag just yet, but the only flickering hope the Tribe has is for us to sweep the Twins this weekend. Anything short of a sweep and we can walk over to the visitors dugout on Sunday afternoon and congratulate the Twins on a race well run.

The Tribe's most realistic path to the post season is as a wild card selection.

Currently, Tampa Bay leads the Wild Card race, but just by a scant half game. Oakland is currently in the second wild card spot. They are only a half a game in front of the Tribe. Boston is the next team behind the Tribe. It would take the mother of all miracles for them to make the postseason, as they currently sit a full ten games behind Oakland.

Oakland has 16 games left - with just tonight's game in Houston the only game against .500 or better records. Ouch.

Tampa Bay has 15 games left, but 8 of them are against teams of .500 or better (53%). Included in those 8 is a a quick 2 game trip to Chavez Ravine to meet the Dodgers.

Could be a dogfight with the Rays for the final playoff spot. Stay tuned.

To be where we are on September 12th, with the M*A*S*H unit that we have had for most of the year is absolutely mind-blowing.  40% of the rotation gone a few weeks into the season.  Your current ace missing two months with a bad back, and has come back to look like a Cy Young candidate (if the season had another month to go). 

3 young starters have established themselves as possible cornerstones going forward. 

Roberto Perez has been a great defender, and his bat has reassured us that the Gomes trade was, in fact, a good one.  

We've managed to find ourselves in this position despite the impact of climate change on our closer (help me, I'm melting).

Despite our failed reclamation projects earlier in the year, (H. Ramirez, C. Gomez), this group of young kids have battled hard, to be this close to the post season.  

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 12:05 PM, NateDawg said:

I think the FO has largely just been victimized by working under an owner not committed to opening up his checkbook to keep guys long-term. 

trevor bauer for reyes seems like uh, great, with how our pitching has done without bauer.  not to mention we also got other pieces.

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

If we are going to win the division, I feel like we need to sweep the twins in this upcoming series. Beyond that, we are in the wild-card hunt.

This Minnesota series is do or die really.

Astros decided for whatever reason to now start sucking against Oakland.