Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

19 minutes ago, bruceb said:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the-indians-have-been-eliminated-and-its-mostly-the-fault-of-ownership/

This article sums things up pretty well.

Dolan should sell the team if he isn't committed to winning.

Truthfully, that article has been, over the course of the year, been written by the Indians fans in this forum.  :) 

Sure, it looks all fancy when you put it together in a single article......but we've said all of it already.

The only thing I do not like about the article is it leaves the FO and Francola off the hook.

Some of the FO's decisions were puzzling and certainly didn't help matters (e.g., Not calling up Mercado way earlier. Hell, he should have broke camp with team).

As the adage goes, managers can't win games but they can lose them and Francola lost his share with boneheaded decisions like forcing Hand when it was pretty clear that the guy needed rest.

And the FO's and Francola's fascination (fetish?) with utility players did not help at all.

• Like 1

The question becomes who is out there for the Indians to go target in FA. I can't imagine they will be very content rolling into next season with Lindor, Jose, Franmil, Santana and Mercado as the only 5 reliable bats on the roster. Luplow, Naquin, Zimmer, Perez are all mediocre at the plate and go off/on too much.

Is there any rental players they can sign to replace Puig and give the offense some more stability?

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

The question becomes who is out there for the Indians to go target in FA. I can't imagine they will be very content rolling into next season with Lindor, Jose, Franmil, Santana and Mercado as the only 5 reliable bats on the roster. Luplow, Naquin, Zimmer, Perez are all mediocre at the plate and go off/on too much.

Is there any rental players they can sign to replace Puig and give the offense some more stability?

Perez is perfectly fine at catcher. He is one of the better well rounded catchers in the league.

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Perez is perfectly fine at catcher. He is one of the better well rounded catchers in the league.

Defensively yes, but he is also a career .216 hitter. Jason Kipnis is a career .261 hitter and every Indians fan thinks hes liquid garbage.

Perez can improve from the plate, but I dont think he is anything more than a 8 hole hitter on a legit playoff team.

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Defensively yes, but he is also a career .216 hitter. Jason Kipnis is a career .261 hitter and every Indians fan thinks hes liquid garbage.

Perez can improve from the plate, but I dont think he is anything more than a 8 hole hitter on a legit playoff team.

his first full year as a starter he was a 3.0 WAR player and had a slash of .239/.321/.452

He was one of the best defensive catchers in the league. He played like a top10 catch in all of MLB. With how good defensively he is, he doesnt need to be a monster with the bat