Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

Looks like we are going to be bringing in Domingo Santana. Probably to be a DH. So maybe we look at Reyes in RF to start the season and see how it goes. 

Along with many, I would really like to see us go after Joc Pederson. In a platoon role with Luplow could create great production from the LF spot. Then that leaves DeShields, Mercado or Zimmer for CF. And we will need the defense there to help Reyes. Add Pederson and Santana and the lineup starts to feel a little less miserable. 

31 minutes ago, FEARtheELF said:

Looks like we are going to be bringing in Domingo Santana. Probably to be a DH. So maybe we look at Reyes in RF to start the season and see how it goes. 

Along with many, I would really like to see us go after Joc Pederson. In a platoon role with Luplow could create great production from the LF spot. Then that leaves DeShields, Mercado or Zimmer for CF. And we will need the defense there to help Reyes. Add Pederson and Santana and the lineup starts to feel a little less miserable. 

Why do you think DS is probably going to be DH?He started close to a 100 games last year as a starting OF. I rather have him playing RF than Reyes. 

Also I dont think you Platoon LF just year. Luplow straight killed LHP last year. He deserves to have a chance to face RHP and make a case to being an everyday starter.

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

He deserves to have a chance to face RHP and make a case to being an everyday starter.

He’s a career .207 hitter against righties man. 70 points better against lefties. He has been bad every season he has played against right handed pitching. There is a reason he plays against lefties and not righties. Not gonna happen. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NateDawg said:

He’s a career .207 hitter against righties man. 70 points better against lefties. He has been bad every season he has played against right handed pitching. There is a reason he plays against lefties and not righties. Not gonna happen. 

Dude also only has 200 career ABs vs RHP. The dude deserves a chance. Didn’t say it had to be given the entire season worth. 

10 hours ago, buno67 said:

Why do you think DS is probably going to be DH?He started close to a 100 games last year as a starting OF. I rather have him playing RF than Reyes. 

Also I dont think you Platoon LF just year. Luplow straight killed LHP last year. He deserves to have a chance to face RHP and make a case to being an everyday starter.

Domingo Santana is no better in the field than Reyes and Reyes also started about 100 games in the OF last year... But Reyes fits the long term plan if you can find a home for him in RF then that adds much more value to your team than Santana in RF on a 1 year deal. So if you are going to take the risk on either of these guys in the OF. Take it with Reyes.

Luplow did kill LHP last year, but Pederson destroyed RHP. You platoon those guys and you have a .260 hitter with 50+ HRs. How can you not want that? With the bullpen changes, platooning becomes easier too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FEARtheELF said:

Domingo Santana is no better in the field than Reyes and Reyes also started about 100 games in the OF last year... But Reyes fits the long term plan if you can find a home for him in RF then that adds much more value to your team than Santana in RF on a 1 year deal. So if you are going to take the risk on either of these guys in the OF. Take it with Reyes.

Luplow did kill LHP last year, but Pederson destroyed RHP. You platoon those guys and you have a .260 hitter with 50+ HRs. How can you not want that? With the bullpen changes, platooning becomes easier too.

Because we have Luplow lol can’t assume the Dolans are going to allow spending of money. 

but with the NL looking like they will get the DH, We’re making him waste time in the OF. Rather just make him focus on hitting. He has the potential to be a far better bat than DS. In the end, it’s a good problem to have

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

Because we have Luplow lol can’t assume the Dolans are going to allow spending of money. 

but with the NL looking like they will get the DH, We’re making him waste time in the OF. Rather just make him focus on hitting. He has the potential to be a far better bat than DS. In the end, it’s a good problem to have

Well that is a given. Doesn't change the fact that I would like to see it happen. I just dont think going into a season with the hopes of Luplow being enough is enough to contend.

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

Didn't even realize that Kipnis signed with the Cubs earlier this week. He was a fan favorite and had a few good years for us, but it was definitely time to move on. I wish him luck though.

He is from Chicago and family is still there.

Good for him.

Dolans really going to screw things up, what a surprise. 

Frankie talks about how he wants to stay here but that the Dolans have to make him a somewhat respectable offer.  

I don’t know why they don’t just sign Frankie and than sell the team. It’s just going to increase the value of the franchise, so they can make more money off the sale. They wont see that deal through, so why should they care. They might have to pay frank one $70m over 2-3 years. He will easily make that back for them. Let Frankie’s contract be solved by the new ownership. They will either be willing spenders or they can trade him away and get prospects to rebuild the team. 

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

Dolans really going to screw things up, what a surprise. 

Frankie talks about how he wants to stay here but that the Dolans have to make him a somewhat respectable offer.  

I don’t know why they don’t just sign Frankie and than sell the team. It’s just going to increase the value of the franchise, so they can make more money off the sale. They wont see that deal through, so why should they care. They might have to pay frank one $70m over 2-3 years. He will easily make that back for them. Let Frankie’s contract be solved by the new ownership. They will either be willing spenders or they can trade him away and get prospects to rebuild the team. 

Why would they sell, they’re making money hand over fist?

Do you get rid of lucrative investments?

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Why would they sell, they’re making money hand over fist?

Do you get rid of lucrative investments?

There not making money, it’s why there not reinvesting back into the roster /s

its been talked about that they have been considering selling the team for the past few years.and believe that within the next 3-5 years they might be sold. Reports have said the reason they might be trimming the spending and not want to resign frankie is so they can make a bigger return. The new owner of KC said has said that. He was suppose to be the next owner in line but KC became available first