Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The Browns just had a home opener right next door. That probably didn't help.

We're 24th in attendance. Nothing to do with the browns. Sad really I remember the 90s when we sold out every game for like 5 years. Baseball just isn't the draw in this town that it is to be. We do have one of the highest local TV ratings so at least were watching. 

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

We're 24th in attendance. Nothing to do with the browns. Sad really I remember the 90s when we sold out every game for like 5 years. Baseball just isn't the draw in this town that it is to be. We do have one of the highest local TV ratings so at least were watching. 

those 90s numbers were inflated because of the new stadium and no browns. It was the perfect storm for that to happen. Also the Cavs sucked, so everyone was a huge Indians fan.

Like you said with the TV ratings. I want to say they have a top3 TV rating. A lot of times its easier to watch the game than make it to a game. Like last night I got offered two tickets in section 113 for $25 a piece. I would  of loved to go but it being such a late game, I wouldnt of gotten home until well past midnight. I much rather watch it on TV and thats what I did. You look at some of the teams that top the attendance list, they dont have much competition in their area or they are a huge market. Also some of those teams have inflated numbers because of season tickets. To me I could see the Indians "attendance numbers" increase just because of the season tickets they will sell going into next year, it will be a bigger increase than what it was this year. People might not always make it to the game but it still shows as a ticket being bought and that its considered part of the attendance. 

4 hours ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

My brother just forwarded a tweet that said the Indians are going to experiment Kipnis in centerfield with Zimmer out.  Not sure what that will look like but could be a good fix to a crowded infield.

yeah apparently Kip played CF in at ASU

We're still loaded just some more adversity to face 

Don't even like Baseball but man has it been an exciting 2 years to watch the Indians. I though there win streak last June/July was impressive and then the playoff run was fun to watch. This win streak is unreal. Hopefully the playoff run can better last season's as well.

Not going to lie watching an Indians Championship would be so much more satisfying that watching the Cavs win it all.

12 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I'll say it. This is the best Indians team I've ever seen. Yes, I'm including the 90's.

Just like when the Cavs won it all, that was the best Cavs team I ever saw all season.

As much as I'd love to give you crap for this, I just can't.  The 90s team had superior hitting but this team has superior pitching and adequate hitting. But this team is something else. I was not optimistic in the beginning of the year. But we've been rolling for awhile now. DESPITE some big injuries. 

Yeah im tempering my excitement. 

13 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

As much as I'd love to give you crap for this, I just can't.  The 90s team had superior hitting but this team has superior pitching and adequate hitting. But this team is something else. I was not optimistic in the beginning of the year. But we've been rolling for awhile now. DESPITE some big injuries. 

Yeah im tempering my excitement. 

idk i would say this team is better than those 90s teams. To me this Indians team started off very slow because of the World Series hangover. This team has better pitching all around. The 90s had more star power but I think this team is a lot deeper. 

10 minutes ago, buno67 said:

idk i would say this team is better than those 90s teams. To me this Indians team started off very slow because of the World Series hangover. This team has better pitching all around. The 90s had more star power but I think this team is a lot deeper. 

deeper in the field?
I dont think so

for sure deeper in the bullpen and the rotation

9 minutes ago, mistakey said:

deeper in the field?
I dont think so

for sure deeper in the bullpen and the rotation

Agreed. We're talking about a '97 Indians team that platooned Brian Giles (who was a multiple All Star and career .291 hitter), had multiple All Stars Richie Sexson and Sean Casey backing up Jim Thome, and had Kevin Seitzer coming off the bench with Julio Franco (Hit .284 that year) and Bip Roberts (underappreciated hitting almost .300 that year as well and former ALL Star) with the following lineup (not batting order):

C: Sandy

1B: Thome

3B: Matt Williams

SS: Omar

2B: Tony Fernandez (I still feel terrible for him making that costly error after his heroic ALCS homer)

LF: Manny

CF: Marquis Grissom

RF: Justice

Long story short, you had multiple future All Stars ON THE BENCH (Casey and Sexson were both rookies that rarely played/were midseason call ups, but still, Giles) and one past ALL STAR in Roberts with usually Julio DHing.

That team from a position and hitting standpoint was one of the best in recent history.