Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

On 7/4/2018 at 10:28 AM, sdrawkcab321 said:

id love to have manny but will Dolan be able to pay him?

Rumor is he is willing to only resign with one team. I rather the Indians spend their prospects on more controllable guys. Also they say Manny wants to be a full-time SS but that won’t happen in Cleveland

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Rumor is he is willing to only resign with one team. I rather the Indians spend their prospects on more controllable guys. Also they say Manny wants to be a full-time SS but that won’t happen in Cleveland

Oh, he would be a rental for sure. No one is trading for him with the assumption that they are keeping him long term. We wouldn't be moving any of our top 3-4 prospects for him. I think he'd take more like a guy in our 6-10 range and a guy in the 15-20 range plus maybe a really young former July 2 guy or something.

4 hours ago, malibuspeedrace said:

I’d be fully on board with Arenado

He's only got one year of arbitration left, and he's already making 17.75M in his second to last year, so he'll probably make 20+ next year. I would like it, but with the home/away splits combined with the contract situation, I wouldn't want to give away what they would be asking.

18 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Oh, he would be a rental for sure. No one is trading for him with the assumption that they are keeping him long term. We wouldn't be moving any of our top 3-4 prospects for him. I think he'd take more like a guy in our 6-10 range and a guy in the 15-20 range plus maybe a really young former July 2 guy or something.

I keep hearing manny would take Mejia or Bieber. I find it hard to trade them for rentals. I have no issues trading too prospects for legit talent that is under contract for 3years or so 

4 hours ago, NateDawg said:

No chance I’m giving up either of those two for a rental. 

What about Zimmer?  Have we seen enough from Naquin and Allen to decide that one of them could be C.F.O.T.F.?

Plutko?  Think he entices the O's enough?

Edited by Bucketheadsdad

41 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

What about Zimmer?  Have we seen enough from Naquin and Allen to decide that one of them could be C.F.O.T.F.?

Plutko?  Think he entices the O's enough?

I’m fine with Zimmer or Plutko being included. Zimmer seems pretty replaceable in an OF rotation, and I’m not sure Plutko has top end of the rotation potential. My guess is the Indians would still have to include another decent prospect or two to entice the Orioles though. They will have some leverage, because other teams will likely be in the bidding war.

Edited by NateDawg

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

I’m fine with Zimmer or Plutko being included. Zimmer seems pretty replaceable in an OF rotation, and I’m not sure Plutko has top end of the rotation potential. My guess is the Indians would still have to include another decent prospect or two to entice the Orioles though. They will have some leverage, because other teams will likely be in the bidding war.

Keep in mind, I was just asking.  I'm not advocating picking up Machado at all.  My hope is that the club finds another quality corner OF (preferably RF) and a controllable quality bullpen arm that can let us jettison Josh Tomlin.  He is simply taking up a roster spot right now.  

I understand the concept of the long reliever, but our rotation goes deep enough that that role is almost redundant.  If one of our starters gets shelled early (which doesn't happen very often), they can piece meal a game together from the pen.  

22 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Keep in mind, I was just asking.  I'm not advocating picking up Machado at all.  My hope is that the club finds another quality corner OF (preferably RF) and a controllable quality bullpen arm that can let us jettison Josh Tomlin.  He is simply taking up a roster spot right now.  

I understand the concept of the long reliever, but our rotation goes deep enough that that role is almost redundant.  If one of our starters gets shelled early (which doesn't happen very often), they can piece meal a game together from the pen.  

I think that the long reliever for us in the playoffs could become our 4/5 starter that isn’t in the October rotation. So, likely a guy like Bieber. Not sure who gets fills the 3rd slot right now between Clevinger and Carrasco. Both are solid. Really good rotation right now. So, I agree, I don’t see any role for a guy like Tomlin. You’d hope to not really even need the long reliever at al unless your SP gets bombed early, and you’re just trying to get through 9.

Miller and the bullpen are the key right now, long-term. He has dug is out of so many tight situations late in games. We need him back to his dominant self, and another late inning guy at the deadline wouldn’t hurt either, even as just insurance. 

Kluber throws 7 shutout innings and Perez comes in and gives up 3 runs in 1/3 of an inning and now it’s tied 3-3. Stupid bullpen.

They need a healthy and effective Miller plus at least 1 more legit relief guy...and I’d like to see another big bat too if they want to contend for a World Series.