Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

2 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I don't love either move. I hate that we are in full salary dump mode when we have a rotation that basically guarantees us a shot at the playoffs every year and a shot at the Series once we are into the playoffs.

Salary dump mode, Indians just picked up an extra year of $20m. I don’t get the trade. 

I was looking forward to Kip and Edwin coming off the books next hear becuase that would be $32m or so to use. Making that trade, we traded Edwin’s one year of $20m for two years of $20m

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Salary dump mode, Indians just picked up an extra year of $20m. I don’t get the trade. 

I was looking forward to Kip and Edwin coming off the books next hear becuase that would be $32m or so to use. Making that trade, we traded Edwin’s one year of $20m for two years of $20m

Well Edwin has a $5 million buyout next year so it is really 1 year of Edwin for $25 or two from Carlos for $35. Also got $5 million from Tampa in the trade too. So looking closer to 1 year of Edwin at $25 or Carlos for two at $30. I would imagine we try to clear the $9 million that we owe Yonder too since Carlos will be everyday at 1st.

37 minutes ago, FEARtheELF said:

Well Edwin has a $5 million buyout next year so it is really 1 year of Edwin for $25 or two from Carlos for $35. Also got $5 million from Tampa in the trade too. So looking closer to 1 year of Edwin at $25 or Carlos for two at $30. I would imagine we try to clear the $9 million that we owe Yonder too since Carlos will be everyday at 1st.

It was a good point though Buno. For some reason I thought Santana was at 14M AAV not the near 20 he is. That makes it even weirder to me, Santana is only a couple years younger and wasn't better last year. I have no clue why they thought this was enough of an upgrade to send a comp balance pick AND take on a little bit of extra money. 

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

It was a good point though Buno. For some reason I thought Santana was at 14M AAV not the near 20 he is. That makes it even weirder to me, Santana is only a couple years younger and wasn't better last year. I have no clue why they thought this was enough of an upgrade to send a comp balance pick AND take on a little bit of extra money. 

Actually, it is being reported that the Indians also got $6million in the deal as well.

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Ya, this is so typical of this FO.

Somebody they know who doesn't represent an upgrade.

This is just moving pieces on the board with a parochial perspective.

15 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Ya, this is so typical of this FO.

Somebody they know who doesn't represent an upgrade.

This is just moving pieces on the board with a parochial perspective.

some reports I have seen is the guy they got from Tampa can be a starter for us. That he has pretty good potential as a 1B/OF. Also said the trading of Edwin, freed up $6m that they will be able to play the market. Now I just hope they can get some legit talent from Kluber or Bauer. Get an a legit OF, BP arm, and a prospect. Listening to the Radio, this move makes it look like they will be spenders and not chopping salary. 

Edited by buno67

9 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Just read up some on him.

Meh

Idk, I liked Edwin but this was a solid trade for the Indians. They got a solid switch hitter with Santana who will be DH/1B. Bauers who was the #5 prospect for the Rays. Also add in the money It was a decent trade for them. What makes or breaks this offseason depends on who they are able to sign or able to trade for with Kluber Bauer