Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

16 hours ago, candyman93 said:

When Kip is healthy, just make him a utility guy. Have Urshela play 3rd. I'd strongly consider swapping Jay Bruce with Santana. It's not like Santana is a stud at 1st base defensively. Carlos can be a pinch hitter.

Kip cant really be a utility. He can play 1 maybe 2 positions. 2nd base and maybe LF. Just sucks for Kip, having a injury plagued season. Got hurt in training camp and it seems like when he gets back into the groove of things, he gets hurt again. Im not surprised he is having a bad year. It be hard for any baseball player to string things together when they only get 3-4weeks of action before getting hurt again. I think it be best to keep him on the DL until he is fully healthy before bring him back. 

I dont know about that Santana/Bruce. I think adv stats show Santana is a better 1B actually. 

I would love to somehow bring Santana and Bruce back. If they can win the world series this year, maybe there is a chance but who knows. I think Bruce could get a bigger contract than Santana this off season.

For me Buno, I can't think of a reason to start Kip. He's hurt and Urshela has been an animal defensively. Kip has been struggling all year swinging. Just make him a pinch hitter. There MUST be a way to make Jay Bruce a part of our offense. If you have to, maybe make him replace Lonnie permanently.

Frankie

Brantley

JRam

EE

Bruce

Santana

Zimmer

Gomes

Urshela

Edited by candyman93

22 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

For me Buno, I can't think of a reason to start Kip. He's hurt and Urshela has been an animal defensively. Kip has been struggling all year swinging. Just make him a pinch hitter. There MUST be a way to make Jay Bruce a part of our offense. If you have to, maybe make him replace Lonnie permanently.

Frankie

Brantley

JRam

EE

Bruce

Santana

Zimmer

Gomes

Urshela

Keep in mind.....Lonnie was leading this team in RBIs with 51 in only 64 games, and hitting well over .300 when he was shelved.  True, there is no guarantee of that switch being flipped back on when he comes off the DL, but he wasn't exactly stinking up the joint before the calf injury.  

The future looks bright for our young kids. Defensively a Ramirez, Lindor, and Urshela infield is great.  Sucks that Kip and everything he meant to the team doesn't seem like the best fit right now.  If Urshela learns to hit a little better he will be extremely valuable.  I think Ramirez looks much more natural at 2nd than 3rd.  Lonnie is a beast in right even though he let us down last year.  Zim is a beast in center.  Brantley seems like the piece we may have been missing last year, hopefully he comes back health for the remainder of this season.  Then Austin Jackson is more than capable of backing up any of the outfielders. Bruce fits well as a 1st base/spot right fielder/DH.  EE can play DH and 1st base.

Pitching is really starting to come together.  I can't wait to see how far they push into the playoffs this year.

Kips hitting is hurting our offense and they don't seem to have the spark when he is in the line-up. 

That being said, I could see us losing both Kip (trade) and Santana (free agency) next year.  Kips contract jumps 50% of what it currently is and the value isn't really there with Ramirez playing so well. Santana isn't having the contract season we were all hoping for.  It would be nice to see Bruce resign with us he's relatively young (30) and is a good ball player but that might be asking a lot.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EL Brownso said:

The future looks bright for our young kids. Defensively a Ramirez, Lindor, and Urshela infield is great.  Sucks that Kip and everything he meant to the team doesn't seem like the best fit right now.  If Urshela learns to hit a little better he will be extremely valuable.  I think Ramirez looks much more natural at 2nd than 3rd.  Lonnie is a beast in right even though he let us down last year.  Zim is a beast in center.  Brantley seems like the piece we may have been missing last year, hopefully he comes back health for the remainder of this season.  Then Austin Jackson is more than capable of backing up any of the outfielders. Bruce fits well as a 1st base/spot right fielder/DH.  EE can play DH and 1st base.

Pitching is really starting to come together.  I can't wait to see how far they push into the playoffs this year.

Kips hitting is hurting our offense and they don't seem to have the spark when he is in the line-up. 

That being said, I could see us losing both Kip (trade) and Santana (free agency) next year.  Kips contract jumps 50% of what it currently is and the value isn't really there with Ramirez playing so well. Santana isn't having the contract season we were all hoping for.  It would be nice to see Bruce resign with us he's relatively young (30) and is a good ball player but that might be asking a lot.

When Kip is hitting he avg defense is covered up. I am not going to give up or trade Kip after this one bad season. I know his contract jumps but he is a huge key to this team. He is a locker room favorite,  fan favorite, and a coaches favorite. 

Kip for the tie being should be kept on the DL until the roster expands. They need to get him healthy and allow him to get into a groove. Dude has had bad lucky all season because of injuries. As long as the Indians has this window to win, Dolan will spend money. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, buno67 said:

When Kip is hitting he avg defense is covered up. I am not going to give up or trade Kip after this one bad season. I know his contract jumps but he is a huge key to this team. He is a locker room favorite,  fan favorite, and a coaches favorite. 

Kip for the tie being should be kept on the DL until the roster expands. They need to get him healthy and allow him to get into a groove. Dude has had bad lucky all season because of injuries. As long as the Indians has this window to win, Dolan will spend money. 

I completely agree with you.  My brother and I had a long discussion/debate about the whole thing.  He is a plus hitter and defender when healthy and is a two time all-star.  But sometimes you have to buy low and sell high.  Kip is definitely a fan favorite and helps this team when healthy and it might be a down year for him, but his slump has been concerning.  I hope he pulls it all together. 

As for Dolan spending money, I agree right now he is doing what he needs to for them to be a contender.  But if they don't go deep into the playoffs, what is his next step?  Does he keep spending or go back to the penny pinching ways of past Indian teams? 

2 hours ago, EL Brownso said:

I completely agree with you.  My brother and I had a long discussion/debate about the whole thing.  He is a plus hitter and defender when healthy and is a two time all-star.  But sometimes you have to buy low and sell high.  Kip is definitely a fan favorite and helps this team when healthy and it might be a down year for him, but his slump has been concerning.  I hope he pulls it all together. 

As for Dolan spending money, I agree right now he is doing what he needs to for them to be a contender.  But if they don't go deep into the playoffs, what is his next step?  Does he keep spending or go back to the penny pinching ways of past Indian teams? 

When you gotta view his slump for truly what it is. Kip has had no time to get comfortable or to find his swing. He basically missed all of spring training because of injury and during the regular season he has been bouncing back and fourth from line up and DL.  He hasn't had the chance to consistently see live MLB pitching to find his swing. I would love to see him stay healthy and than get a decent stretch of games and ABs under his belt. It seems like every time this year you saw him get consistently with his bat he would get hurt a game or two later and send him straight back to square one. 

I think once this run is over he will go back to the conservative way until the Indians r build with their farm system. I could see this window staying open if they are able to rotate some of these young studs into starter spots and pick up where they left off. Years past the team flirted with maybe being good so they were hesitant but now with real chances they are willing to spend. Look at Miller, EE, and Bruce. It's good to see that Dolan is backing the front office when they decide to make a push

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

When you gotta view his slump for truly what it is. Kip has had no time to get comfortable or to find his swing. He basically missed all of spring training because of injury and during the regular season he has been bouncing back and fourth from line up and DL.  He hasn't had the chance to consistently see live MLB pitching to find his swing. I would love to see him stay healthy and than get a decent stretch of games and ABs under his belt. It seems like every time this year you saw him get consistently with his bat he would get hurt a game or two later and send him straight back to square one. 

I think once this run is over he will go back to the conservative way until the Indians r build with their farm system. I could see this window staying open if they are able to rotate some of these young studs into starter spots and pick up where they left off. Years past the team flirted with maybe being good so they were hesitant but now with real chances they are willing to spend. Look at Miller, EE, and Bruce. It's good to see that Dolan is backing the front office when they decide to make a push

I expect to see Miller get a much larger contract in the next couple years.  For what he has done is 9 million a year enough?  I know he isn't an ace or a closer, but he is just as important to our team as either of them.  We haven't dealt out a HUGE contract yet. I almost expect to see us spending a lot of money shortly.  With Lindor, Ramirez still in pre arbitration we have time, but both of them are young and playing great. Miller and Brantley are coming up on contract years and I expect us to try and extend each of them.  Kluber's value will go through the roof if he earns another Cy Young but he's still under contract for a few more years. 

In the next year or two we will see how much Dolan is interested in spending to maintain the level they are playing now.

42 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Am I the only one excited to see a 4 game win streak going into Minny? We beat these clowns and I think we can shut down the division for the year and focus on getting 2nd place. 

that is all

Mastercheddaar

I'm excited...but also incredibly nervous. The way this team has been all season, would it really surprise you if the Tribe got swept and everyone left the series wondering what the heck just happened?

1 hour ago, EL Brownso said:

I expect to see Miller get a much larger contract in the next couple years.  For what he has done is 9 million a year enough?  I know he isn't an ace or a closer, but he is just as important to our team as either of them.  We haven't dealt out a HUGE contract yet. I almost expect to see us spending a lot of money shortly.  With Lindor, Ramirez still in pre arbitration we have time, but both of them are young and playing great. Miller and Brantley are coming up on contract years and I expect us to try and extend each of them.  Kluber's value will go through the roof if he earns another Cy Young but he's still under contract for a few more years. 

In the next year or two we will see how much Dolan is interested in spending to maintain the level they are playing now.

Well they did give out big money for EE. Something they rarely do. I think the response the fans gave with their attendance this year should hopefully let Dolan know that the way this team is built, if they spend money the fans will come. From last year to this year they are saying an avg of 5,000 more fans a game. A lot of that was an increase in season ticket holder numbers. I can see the numbers going up even more next season. The indians have the 2nd best local market tv rating. If they keep that up they can strike a better TV deal when ever that deal comes up. I think at the moment it be smart to try and keep this team together.

To me in years past when Dolan wasn't willing to spend or resign guys the team was all that great. In 2007 the Indians had a fantastic starting pitch but nothing else was really that great. It was kind of a fluky year because the year prior and year after they did nothing. With the way this team is set up, its not really fluky. Got plenty of talented pitchers, a line up that sports at least 3 MVP potential candidates. I think this current team is too talented for the Dolan's not to back them.