Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

5 hours ago, candyman93 said:

It’s 2019 and people still think attendance affects revenue?

Unless Im interpreting this wrong. Yes, 24% of the Indians revenue as a team in 2017 came from ticket sales alone. Not concessions, not merchandise but strictly 1/4 of the money they make is just from ticket sales alone. I would believe that yes attendance and the amount of fan interest directly impacts their overall revenue. Im also thinking its not a coincidence that they signed Edwin to a massive out of the ordinary deal after they made the WS the year before will all of the extra revenue from that. Something that Dolan also said in his recent interview that the team was really banking on another deep playoff run last year for revenue sake with how much $$ they invested in the team.

Also, here is a article that says the Indians put a actual 'Fan Attendance Bonus' in Edwins contract. If you have to put bonuses based on fan revenue in players contracts---it def. means something. They really had a "We'll pay you more money if our fans actually show up to games and we get more revenue" clause in his contract O.o

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/edwin-encarnacions-contract-with-the-indians-includes-attendance-bonuses/

Forbes projects that about 24% of the Indians' 2017 revenues — $65 million — stemmed from gate receipts. The Indians don't make such numbers public, but they have continually stressed that ticket revenue, beginning with a season-ticket base that lingered well below the MLB norm from 2010-16, is the most important part of their business.

Edited by AkronsWitness

On 3/27/2019 at 12:59 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Unless Im interpreting this wrong. Yes, 24% of the Indians revenue as a team in 2017 came from ticket sales alone. Not concessions, not merchandise but strictly 1/4 of the money they make is just from ticket sales alone. I would believe that yes attendance and the amount of fan interest directly impacts their overall revenue. Im also thinking its not a coincidence that they signed Edwin to a massive out of the ordinary deal after they made the WS the year before will all of the extra revenue from that. Something that Dolan also said in his recent interview that the team was really banking on another deep playoff run last year for revenue sake with how much $$ they invested in the team.

Also, here is a article that says the Indians put a actual 'Fan Attendance Bonus' in Edwins contract. If you have to put bonuses based on fan revenue in players contracts---it def. means something. They really had a "We'll pay you more money if our fans actually show up to games and we get more revenue" clause in his contract O.o

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/edwin-encarnacions-contract-with-the-indians-includes-attendance-bonuses/

Forbes projects that about 24% of the Indians' 2017 revenues — $65 million — stemmed from gate receipts. The Indians don't make such numbers public, but they have continually stressed that ticket revenue, beginning with a season-ticket base that lingered well below the MLB norm from 2010-16, is the most important part of their business.

Dolans have no one else but themselves to blame  

They cry about season ticket base and what, how can you expect fans to buy season tickets when they won’t consistent invest into the team. 

Yeah they state the numbers were below from ‘10-‘16. In ‘07 the Indians were a game away from the WS and prolly would have won it. They thought if they could get healthy in ‘08 they could run it back but it went opposite. They trade CC that year. In ‘09 they trade Lee, that season they only win 65 games and enter full tank mode. So going in ‘10 what is their to be excited about? What is worth it so you invest into season tickets? 

When the team was worthy again season attendance numbers went up to 2mil again. 

Dolans have lost the fan base of the team. Because they are so freaking cheap. If you won’t  invest into the team yearly, why should the fans?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Dolans have no one else but themselves to blame  

They cry about season ticket base and what, how can you expect fans to buy season tickets when they won’t consistent invest into the team. 

Yeah they state the numbers were below from ‘10-‘16. In ‘07 the Indians were a game away from the WS and prolly would have won it. They thought if they could get healthy in ‘08 they could run it back but it went opposite. They trade CC that year. In ‘09 they trade Lee, that season they only win 65 games and enter full tank mode. So going in ‘10 what is their to be excited about? What is worth it so you invest into season tickets? 

When the team was worthy again season attendance numbers went up to 2mil again. 

Dolans have lost the fan base of the team. Because they are so freaking cheap. If you won’t  invest into the team yearly, why should the fans?

I disagree. The Indians fans that never actually show up to games are the ones to blame. You want a big salary cap in a small market like the Cavs? Show up to games and not be 22nd in baseball in attendance and support the team. 

When have the Dolans been cheap? The literally have the highest paid roster in franchise history the past 2 years and they are in the bottom 3rd in attendance with nobody spending money at games. Its a machine. Come to the games, buy tickets, buy merch, be a top 10 attendance team and then get more to spend on players.

When all of Cleveland wants to watch games on TV and not actually go---you have a funding problem compared to what your spending on the roster contracts.

Indians fans want a fine dining steak dinner but only want to go to a fast and easy place like Outback and then complain that  their $20 steak is mediocre.

Edited by AkronsWitness

6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I disagree. The Indians fans that never actually show up to games are the ones to blame. You want a big salary cap in a small market like the Cavs? Show up to games and not be 22nd in baseball in attendance and support the team. 

When have the Dolans been cheap? The literally have the highest paid roster in franchise history the past 2 years and they are in the bottom 3rd in attendance with nobody spending money at games. Its a machine. Come to the games, buy tickets, buy merch, be a top 10 attendance team and then get more to spend on players.

When all of Cleveland wants to watch games on TV and not actually go---you have a funding problem compared to what your spending on the roster contracts.

Indians fans want a fine dining steak dinner but only want to go to a fast and easy place like Outback and then complain that  their $20 steak is mediocre.

Interesting.

I remember when fans sold out 455 consecutive games and we were rewarded by the team allowing Belle, Lofton, Thome, Alomar, etc to leave via FA. Belle was on Jacobs, the rest on the Dolan’s, almost immediately after buying the team.

What was the issue then?   Not buying enough merch?

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Interesting.

I remember when fans sold out 455 consecutive games and we were rewarded by the team allowing Belle, Lofton, Thome, Alomar, etc to leave via FA. Belle was on Jacobs, the rest on the Dolan’s, almost immediately after buying the team.

Bingo

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Interesting.

QFT. 

Weak AL Central could still mean contenders for the division. Who knows. They aren’t remotely WS contenders as it currently stands though. 

12 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Ah so 2 years of spending makes up for years of being cheap since the moment he bought the team. 2 years of spending doesn’t make up for the 15+ years of not spending at all  

Indians also have one of the best viewership rates as a franchise. Might not go to the games but people are watching them. Hence why he was pretty much able to create his own station to broadcast the games and than he sold that stations to Fox Sports. 

You know the Indians have had better attendance than the Phillies the past couple of years and had attendance numbers that were close to the Padres and those two franchises just dropped a butt load of money. 

You say buy merch. I would love to buy a Lindor jersey but why do that when he won’t be here. Would love to buy a Bauer jersey but he won’t be  here. 

Also you streak reference is pretty great actually. I’ll go spend money on a great steak when the window or reason is fitting. Like say an Anniversary, I’ll spend the money. But if it’s just a Wednesday night, I’ll be cheap. Dolan and the Indians have a legit window. This isn’t a time to be cheap. Indians prolly will never have a starting rotation like this to go with a star player like Lindor. So spend. No one will complain about being cheap for a few years if they just won a WS. I don’t think Royal fans are upset, I don’t think Marlin fans were upset after their titles. 

You get parades for pennants

you don’t get parades for prospects or participation. 

I could see if dolan was shelling money out year after year after year that he could be cheap but the dude just spent money for 2 years and is already tapping out. Where is all the money he saved for all the time he went cheap between ‘10-‘16

this team can not compete as is. Sorry it’s the truth. They have a great rotation but they lose that advantage when they match up with Houston. We saw it last year. 

Hell every other team in the AL got better and the Indians got worse and they want to show out when you did nothing but cut money for this team and than tell us enjoy Lindor while we can cause we won’t re-sign him. 

If that’s the model. Better trade him now and totally load up the farm system so the Indians can make a run 5-7years from now that won’t be properly funded. 

I love it that everyone brings up ‘16. Yeah ‘16 was great but the AL is so much better now. If that was a year to steal the WS that was it. That ‘16 squad would have struggled in the AL in ‘17 or ‘18

ill buy into being cheap when he opens up the books and shows exactly what is going on. That he proves that he is losing money. You don’t get into own a sports team to make or lose money. You get into owning a sports team for egotistical reasons. Dolans need to get out of the business. They don’t deserve to own a team. 

I'm sure I'll get heat for this, but it bothers me that other teams who spend less than the Indians, and have less success, actually draw more fans the Tribe.  Colorado, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Arizona, even San Diego.  They all draw more fans than we do.

It's easy for me to say since I don't live in Cleveland anymore, but it still bothers me.

2 years of average spending, because 15 out of 30 is middle of the pack, doesn’t make up for 20 years of letting HOF players walk, trading back to back Cy Young winners (who faced off in the WS, each of them winning a title at some point with their new club), and admitting to fans that Lindor is as good as gone just confirms the Dolans are awful owners. Why spend merchandise or ticket money when the owners won’t pony up for fan favorites and HOF bound players. At least Rachel Phelps was up front about making money and tanking. The Dolans are basically the Bizzaro Jacobs.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ReggieCamp said:

I'm sure I'll get heat for this, but it bothers me that other teams who spend less than the Indians, and have less success, actually draw more fans the Tribe.  Colorado, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Arizona, even San Diego.  They all draw more fans than we do.

It's easy for me to say since I don't live in Cleveland anymore, but it still bothers me.

I can't speak for Milwaukee, but all four of those others are MUCH larger metro areas than Cleveland. Denver, Atlanta, Pheonix, and San Diego are 9, 11, 17, and 19 for population of metro area in the US. Cleveland is 33, behind Columbus, Austin TX, and Sacramento for comparison. The CLE metro area has about two million people. Atlanta is 5.8, Pheonix is 4.7, San Diego is 3.3 (and that is being very stingy about what counts as San Diego), and Denver is 2.8.

That means that, of those four teams, they are operating in markets that are roughly: 3, 2.5, 1.7, and 1.4 times larger than ours.

• Like 5

Maybe I’m wrong, but the Dolans are boned. They had their chance with the Browns being garbage, but that’s over. Maybe they can pluck away some Cavs fans. Cavs are gonna be kinda screwed too because of the teams status and when they play during the regular season. It’s gonna be like the 70’s and 80’s.

Edited by candyman93