Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

23 minutes ago, buno67 said:

If they truly valued that pitcher catcher relationship they would have kept Yanny 

Both Perez and Gomes are good receivers, but one is 3.5M cheaper for 2019. For teams without payroll issues Yan's deal can be an asset there are a couple desirable club options that we would have passed on. I'm not too upset with Jefry Rodgriguez and Daniel Johnson from what I've seen so far.

46 minutes ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

Both Perez and Gomes are good receivers, but one is 3.5M cheaper for 2019. For teams without payroll issues Yan's deal can be an asset there are a couple desirable club options that we would have passed on. I'm not too upset with Jefry Rodgriguez and Daniel Johnson from what I've seen so far.

I’m just saying, the Indians need to worry about having the better bat there. The catching position and the lack of hitting has been a real issue for this team the past few seasons. You shouldn’t have a black hole of a hitter as a catcher IMO. I would at least want to see Haase up to start working with the guys and get experience 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

The team seems to value his work with the pitching staff over all else.

Party line that does not hold water.

We have elite/borderline elite pitchers.

Can't imagine any catcher not working well with them.

On 4/26/2019 at 5:56 PM, bruceb said:

Party line that does not hold water.

We have elite/borderline elite pitchers.

Can't imagine any catcher not working well with them.

Kind of a chicken vs the egg debate man. Many of you seem to undervalue defense in general in this thread.

Honestly I should probably not bother venturing into this thread it's a bunch of people crying about the most successful team our city has had. They run the indians like a successful business and ya'll sit and complain that they don't give blank checks to players on the back 9s of their careers. They've absolutely let talent walk out the door too often, but every decision of the past 20 years has led to the roster composition that's been a perennial playoff contender for a while now.

3 hours ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

Kind of a chicken vs the egg debate man. Many of you seem to undervalue defense in general in this thread.

Honestly I should probably not bother venturing into this thread it's a bunch of people crying about the most successful team our city has had. They run the indians like a successful business and ya'll sit and complain that they don't give blank checks to players on the back 9s of their careers. They've absolutely let talent walk out the door too often, but every decision of the past 20 years has led to the roster composition that's been a perennial playoff contender for a while now.

Perennial playoff contender? In 18/19 seasons the Dolans have own the team, they have made the playoffs 6x. That doesn’t scream perennial

Yes they have run the team like a successful business but when they actually have an amazing window for a potential title. They have been too laxed about it. They waited wait to late in the year to address the need of another bat. Donaldson wasn’t ready or wasn’t healthy. 

This year they decided to cut a lot of money, instead of reinvesting it. 

Come out and tell us to enjoy Lindor but yet won’t surround him so we can truly utilize every ounce of his talent.

yea they run the organization like a successful business but this is also a major sports franchise. When you have a title window, you are suppose to take advantage of it and they truly aren’t. 

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

Perennial playoff contender? In 18/19 seasons the Dolans have own the team, they have made the playoffs 6x. That doesn’t scream perennial

Yes they have run the team like a successful business but when they actually have an amazing window for a potential title. They have been too laxed about it. They waited wait to late in the year to address the need of another bat. Donaldson wasn’t ready or wasn’t healthy. 

This year they decided to cut a lot of money, instead of reinvesting it. 

Come out and tell us to enjoy Lindor but yet won’t surround him so we can truly utilize every ounce of his talent.

yea they run the organization like a successful business but this is also a major sports franchise. When you have a title window, you are suppose to take advantage of it and they truly aren’t. 

We are 9th in wins since 2000 in a small market that's great. They're behind NYY, STL, BOS, LAD, LAA, ATL, OAK, SF. Apparently you'd rather be ran like Detroit who has spent a ton of money and also never closed the deal.

They've absolutely let talent walk out the door too often

And then some.

every decision of the past 20 years has led to the roster composition that's been a perennial playoff contender for a while now.

More like a playoff pretender.

The Dolans simply will not do the things needed to take the team to the promised land.

On one hand, I respect the need to run the team like a business; on the other, I believe every professional sports franchise has a civic duty to try their best to assemble a team with a realistic shot at winning it all.

I mean, after all, they are expecting and taking the fans' money.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bruceb said:

And then some.

More like a playoff pretender.

The Dolans simply will not do the things needed to take the team to the promised land.

On one hand, I respect the need to run the team like a business; on the other, I believe every professional sports franchise has a civic duty to try their best to assemble a team with a realistic shot at winning it all.

I mean, after all, they are expecting and taking the fans' money.

Like I said, echo chamber of cry babies in here.

15 hours ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

We are 9th in wins since 2000 in a small market that's great. They're behind NYY, STL, BOS, LAD, LAA, ATL, OAK, SF. Apparently you'd rather be ran like Detroit who has spent a ton of money and also never closed the deal.

They at least tried to closed the deal but they also spent a lot of money cause they actually kept their big time good player when they had their window of competing for a title. 

Also im not giving Dolan’s credit for what happen in ‘98 -‘01. That was a team Jacobs fielded and a roster Dolan let just walk away. 

Just shows you how cheap the dolans are. They have had decent teams but rarely if ever want to spend money to take the team over the top to make them better. 

I love that ‘16 season but that was more a curse than a blessing. Having an AL weaken by Yankees and a Boston holding back some spending, horrible division, and mixed in with some luck even tho with all those pitching injuries that it gave the organization false bravado cause they believed they basically could just run it back the past two years even tho the AL greatly improved hence why we couldn’t even get past NY or Hou the past two years

no one ever said the Indians had to be major spenders every year. Just have to spend when you have a title window. You have a chance to win, you go for it because you have no idea what the future holds. Prospect don’t pan out and injuries happen. 

Now Lindor is prolly already the best or top3 Indians players of all time and would go down as the best player in franchise history but ownership has already said they won’t resign him. You want to make us enjoy him while we have him. Piece a team that has a legit shot at the title.  Not one that just needs to get lucky 

Edited by buno67

Go into the season and rely riding the arms of our starters they say. 

Welp first month is over and we lost 2 of our top4 starters. One for a couple more weeks and the other for what looks like a couple of months. 

Maybe I will be proven wrong over the long haul, but i am FIRMLY convinced that Chernoff, Antonetti and Dolan blew it big time this past winter by not pulling the trigger on a trade for Corey Kluber. I will be shocked to see him on the mound before mid August - and with our offense' we will be WELL behind the Twins at that point. Oh yeah, that is not counting the offense we COULD have had by trading Kluber.

Dolan's Discounts strikes again..........

Anybody think it is time to 

Blow It Up GIF - Lemon Blow It GIFs?

I'm talking a Bieber is your #2 by the end of the week type blow up.  (Hanging onto Carassco, JRam, Santana, but exploring trades in the off season.)  

Ship out Bauer, Lindor, Hand, and strip a few organizations of their top prospects to get a rebuild underway.   

I am not necessarily advocating this, but 40% of our rotation is gone, and I think this forum might be able to put together a more forimidable batting order than Tito is putting on his lineup card every night.