Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

Have to imagine the CarGo experiment is over here. Bringing Mercado up further log jams the OF and Zimmer will be back eventually. Naquin, ZImmer, Martin, and CarGo would be 4 LHB that can't hit lefties. 2 of them will be gone soon. CarGo, will shortly be the first.

Heard on 92.3 The Fan this morning that an opposing pitcher said that this Indians lineup is so easy to get out that you only need two pitches, a fastball and a changeup. The pitcher said he didn't even have to start throwing his curveball and use his out pitches.

That might be the most concerning thing I have heard. I just don't see where the improvement can potentially come from outside of Jose

Time for the Tribe to blow it all up and try again in 2020. Who would have thought having 4-5 AA or AAA replacement level position players/sticks (great job as a team hitting .219) and dumping $20 million in salary (great job with the Edwin trade, that's looking great) would have such an impact? 

I'd look for the poor Dolan family to "break even or lose" a lot more money this year, while the overall value of the team continues to climb. Do everyone a favor and just sell it already. It's ridiculous. 

I'd keep Lindor, some of our young arms, and Jose and just dump everyone else and hope for the best in 2020 TBH.

23 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Time for the Tribe to blow it all up and try again in 2020. Who would have thought having 4-5 AA or AAA replacement level position players/sticks (great job as a team hitting .219) and dumping $20 million in salary (great job with the Edwin trade, that's looking great) would have such an impact? 

I'd look for the poor Dolan family to "break even or lose" a lot more money this year, while the overall value of the team continues to climb. Do everyone a favor and just sell it already. It's ridiculous. 

I'd keep Lindor, some of our young arms, and Jose and just dump everyone else and hope for the best in 2020 TBH.

What has frustrated me in the last few years has been the almost, "in-between" approach to going for it or just trying to get by. This year it has caught up to them and the really need to make a decision and go with it. I highly doubt they would go all-in so I think they need to make a plan to start to look at giving this core a shot to compete 2 years from now.

The guys I would 100% hold on to are Lindor, Jose, Bauer, Bieber, Hand and Clevinger. Make some moves to load up again to make a 2021 run, with these guys as your foundation. You will have a great 1-3 with a couple guys in the minors (Rodriguez, McKenzie, Plesac, Oviedo) looking very good to fill out the rotation. You will need to resign Bauer, but losing Santana, Kluber, Kipnis and Cookie contracts would free up room to sign him.

By then you will have Nolan Jones, Tyler Freeman, Bobby Bradley, plus whatever you can get for to fill the outfield prospect wise from Cookie, Kluber, Santana, Perez, Cimber.

I think you would internally have something in 2021 that could look like..

• Rotation - Bauer, Bieber, Clevinger, McKenzie, Rodriguez
  • Bullpen - Hand, Wittgren, Sandlin, Karinchak, Oviedo
  • Lineup featuring Lindor, Jose, Bobby Bradley, Nolan Jones, Tyler Freeman

I think that is a good foundation and one that we can build a winner with. Most of those guys would still have not seen Free Agency outside of Hand and Bauer so a lot of money to go after a big bat (or sign Lindor....)

This pitching is so damn good, I hate thinking about needing to throw in the towel, but this lineup is that bad...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FEARtheELF said:

I think that is a good foundation and one that we can build a winner with. Most of those guys would still have not seen Free Agency outside of Hand and Bauer so a lot of money to go after a big bat (or sign Lindor....)

I think we need to resign (lousy word here, but it is what fits) ourselves to the fact that Lindor is like a non-renewable energy source.  Once he's gone (his contract is up), he is going somewhere that will give him 30+ million a year.  That won't be us.  That is why I posted a while back that if they decide that we're not getting it done right now, we get the top 3-4 prospects in a team's farm system now, rather than a draft pick in a few years.  Load up for another run in a year or two, rather than continually spinning our wheels.

I'm also for capitalizing on what we can get for Bauer at the moment.  The ship might have just sailed on a return for Kluber, but this club, as constructed, isn't gonig to win a thing.  I'd rather retool for two years from now, than fool myself into thinking the team has a snowball's chance in Hades, then having nothing to show for it when Bauer, Hand, Lindor, Ramirez, Kluber all leave.  

Here's what I'd do, to be honest:

Keep:

Lindor and Jose: They have multiple years left. I'd hold onto them until the last year on the contract, MAYBE 2 years left in terms of control before they hit the open market. The prospects that we'd get back would have about 5 years, so trading them for an extra year or two of control doesn't make much sense IMO.

Clevinger: Good young arm, has potential to be a LEGIT ACE going forward

Bieber and Cimber: Young arms

Trade if the price is right

Hand: Multiple years of control, elite reliever/closer

Carrasco: Feast or famine, injury issues

Trade:

Santana: He still has value

Bauer: He's gone on record saying he will never sign more than a 1 year deal here. He looks like a Cy Young caliber pitcher/winner. We could get a lot for him

Kipnis: For a bag of peanuts to be named later

Kluber: Should have tried to deal him in the off-season. Maybe in 2020 if he looks good, then try to deal a former Cy Young for a contender

Roberto Perez: Has a LOT of defensive value. He's a terrible hitter

• Like 1

Lindor has two years of arbitration after this year.  Following with your line of thought, if this club continues to underperform, I would certainly be exploring what kind of a haul they could get for him at this year's trade deadline, or during this offseason.  

10 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Lindor has two years of arbitration after this year.  Following with your line of thought, if this club continues to underperform, I would certainly be exploring what kind of a haul they could get for him at this year's trade deadline, or during this offseason.  

I'd THINK about it next year since Dolan is cheap and they won't resign him.

I wouldn't before that IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Fair enough, but I am scouting the hell out of the Yankees (and probably a few others) farm system(s) this year, in anticipation for this.  

Just now, Bucketheadsdad said:

Fair enough, but I am scouting the hell out of the Yankees (and probably a few others) farm system(s) this year, in anticipation for this.  

I agree 100%. I wouldn't trade him for a prospect with under 5 years of control either. I'm also heavily scouting young prospects in the middle infield department for the draft as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah there is no way we are trading Lindor this year. I get the idea but we can still get exactly the same package this off-seson, even next years deadline. He is signed through 2021. No chance we give up 2.5 years of Frankie for prospects. At earliest, we would probably trade him after the 2020 season.

• Like 2