Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

On 5/14/2019 at 10:12 AM, FEARtheELF said:

What has frustrated me in the last few years has been the almost, "in-between" approach to going for it or just trying to get by. This year it has caught up to them and the really need to make a decision and go with it. I highly doubt they would go all-in so I think they need to make a plan to start to look at giving this core a shot to compete 2 years from now.

The guys I would 100% hold on to are Lindor, Jose, Bauer, Bieber, Hand and Clevinger. Make some moves to load up again to make a 2021 run, with these guys as your foundation. You will have a great 1-3 with a couple guys in the minors (Rodriguez, McKenzie, Plesac, Oviedo) looking very good to fill out the rotation. You will need to resign Bauer, but losing Santana, Kluber, Kipnis and Cookie contracts would free up room to sign him.

By then you will have Nolan Jones, Tyler Freeman, Bobby Bradley, plus whatever you can get for to fill the outfield prospect wise from Cookie, Kluber, Santana, Perez, Cimber.

I think you would internally have something in 2021 that could look like..

• Rotation - Bauer, Bieber, Clevinger, McKenzie, Rodriguez
  • Bullpen - Hand, Wittgren, Sandlin, Karinchak, Oviedo
  • Lineup featuring Lindor, Jose, Bobby Bradley, Nolan Jones, Tyler Freeman

I think that is a good foundation and one that we can build a winner with. Most of those guys would still have not seen Free Agency outside of Hand and Bauer so a lot of money to go after a big bat (or sign Lindor....)

This pitching is so damn good, I hate thinking about needing to throw in the towel, but this lineup is that bad...

We have two weeks to see where the season goes. With series against Tampa, Boston, CWS, Twins and the Yankees in those two weeks. We will see if we are playoff contenders or pretenders. If they do decide that they are pretenders, the good thing is we do not have to entire into a fire sale because we pretty much have anyone of value under contract for 2020. If we get a ransom offer at the deadline, great, if not, take those guys into winter meetings.

It's do or die time.

2 hours ago, FEARtheELF said:

We have two weeks to see where the season goes. With series against Tampa, Boston, CWS, Twins and the Yankees in those two weeks. We will see if we are playoff contenders or pretenders. If they do decide that they are pretenders, the good thing is we do not have to entire into a fire sale because we pretty much have anyone of value under contract for 2020. If we get a ransom offer at the deadline, great, if not, take those guys into winter meetings.

It's do or die time.

What is it going to show you? Outside of the AL central last year we got our butts kicked. It’s going to happen this year and now we don’t have a division full on tanking anymore.

the Dolans were gifted the central for 3 years and they refused to take advantage of it. 

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

This team is bipolar at best.

Amazing what happens when players like Greg Allen, Pawlecki, Mercado and Bauers actually show that they can hit the baseball and expand the batting order beyond Lindor, Jose and Santana.

What makes no sense is that they tried to bandaid their losses with Hanley and CarGo--cut both of them, and then instead of trying to replace them with proven bats they replaced them with a bunch of AAA players..

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Amazing what happens when players like Greg Allen, Pawlecki, Mercado and Bauers actually show that they can hit the baseball and expand the batting order beyond Lindor, Jose and Santana.

What makes no sense is that they tried to bandaid their losses with Hanley and CarGo--cut both of them, and then instead of trying to replace them with proven bats they replaced them with a bunch of AAA players..

The bottom 2/3s of the order is marginally AAA, including Ramirez until and unless he gets his head out of his butt or goes back on PEDs.

5 minutes ago, bruceb said:

The bottom 2/3s of the order is marginally AAA, including Ramirez until and unless he gets his head out of his butt or goes back on PEDs.

Thats my point they replaced their bad proven players (Hanley/CarGo) with AAA bats. The lack of urgency makes no sense. I would slow down on Jose, he has been a MVP candidate each of the last 2 years and hes off to a bad 1/4 of the season I wouldnt be throwing the towel in on him just yet. He did this same thing after the All-Star break last year and it took him a while to get back going. Just got to weather the storm with him

Edited by AkronsWitness

13 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Kipnis hit cleanup tonight. 

WTF is wrong with Tito. 

Somehow we still managed 14 runs and the win. 

Seems like he is talking crap and throwing it at the wall and seeing if it sticks. 

So glad I don't care about baseball in the slightest. It seems like this is an incredibly frustrating team to follow with zero hope for long-term future success. At least when the Browns or Cavs suck you know we'll try to get better. It seems like our owners don't care about winning championships. Or simply don't understand what needs to be done in order to accomplish that.

• Like 1