Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

21 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

What do we do with Kluber when he comes back?

The fact that he was once the ace of your staff means you show him the proper amount of respect and do not shuffle him off to the bullpen upon his return.

I would say the proper course of action would be for Kluber and Tito to have a sit down upon his return but prior to pitching. Lay out the plan that he will return to his spot in the rotation, but he will be on a very short leash until he builds up his strength completely. Especially if he struggles early in his first few starts, he needs to understand he will be yanked earlier than normal. Like it or not, we are in the middle of a dogfight for the AL Central title. Even the "good" starts earliy on, will probably result in 80-100 max pitches.

I am sure the ONLY thing that concerns Corey at this point is the Indians winning. If he only goes 4 innings, turns it over to the bullpen, and we win - all good.

16 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

The fact that he was once the ace of your staff means you show him the proper amount of respect and do not shuffle him off to the bullpen upon his return.

I would say the proper course of action would be for Kluber and Tito to have a sit down upon his return but prior to pitching. Lay out the plan that he will return to his spot in the rotation, but he will be on a very short leash until he builds up his strength completely. Especially if he struggles early in his first few starts, he needs to understand he will be yanked earlier than normal. Like it or not, we are in the middle of a dogfight for the AL Central title. Even the "good" starts earliy on, will probably result in 80-100 max pitches.

I am sure the ONLY thing that concerns Corey at this point is the Indians winning. If he only goes 4 innings, turns it over to the bullpen, and we win - all good.

you never know, it all depends on when Kluber comes back. He could playa role as a great BP arm for the Indians if he doesnt have the time to get his arm back in shape

• Like 1

True that Buno. If he is not back until mid August - BP may be the way to go until he can make a couple of key September starts for you. The key is to communicate with him regarding the strategy of how he is to be used so he does not feel disrespected. He certainly has earned that.

11 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

True that Buno. If he is not back until mid August - BP may be the way to go until he can make a couple of key September starts for you. The key is to communicate with him regarding the strategy of how he is to be used so he does not feel disrespected. He certainly has earned that.

That is something we know Tito will do. He shows his Vets the respect they deserve. At times, too much

• Like 1

Well, to say this weekend was disappointing would be a massive understatement.

I really thought we were on our way to an energizing series opening victory on Friday. Talk about a game of less than inches. A challenge call gets overturned (probably the right call) and the floodgates open. Saturday, one batter in and we are down 1-0 already.

In one of the more amazing baseball stats - Max Kepler has HOMERED off of Trevor Bauer FIVE STRAIGHT TIMES!!!! Hey Trev, the intentional walk exists for a reason. 90 feet is better than 360......

That is why yesterday's "stem the tide" comeback victory was so sweet and so needed. Disappointed that we allowed the Twins to expand their divisional lead by a game - but allowing it to expand by three would have been disastrous for 2019 and beyond. Because I fear at the trading deadline, that Antonetti and Chernoff would be like horny sailors on shore leave in a whorehouse with a credit card.

So the reality on July 15th is - we have 71 games to go (10 more head to head with MIN - 7A - 3H) to eradicate a now 6-1/2 game lead.

I will not concede the division title to the Twins yet, but the Tribe needs every win they can muster to stay in the wild card race as well. They have been overtaken by 1/2 game by the A's for the second wild card spot.

• Like 1

Man, anyone else stay up to watch watch the Tribe eclipse the Tigers after the rain delay? Specifically, I am talking about the bottom of the 7th or 8th inning when the Tigers brought in right handed flame thrower Trevor Rosenthal. I was doing the head bob (struggling to stay awake) when his season stats flashed up on the screen.

Dude has an ERA of 22.74!!!! And his pitches regularly hit triple digits on the Juggs gun. Trouble is he has no clue where the pitches are going. Gets a 1-1 count on Naquin - then uncorks a 99mph heater that sails BEHIND Naquin in the LH batter's box by at least a foot and straight to the screen.

I thought the Hall of Famer Bob Uecker snuck into the broadcast booth two batters later (Mercado) and unleashed his infamous "Just a bit outside!" line. It totally fit. The pitch was a 55 footer, at least 5 feet up the first base line. Our guys in the dugout were laughing their kiesters off, but Oscar shot them a death stare, as if to say - "You think this is funny? You stand in here then and see how funny you think it is then!!!"

Fortunately - Tribe is victorious, 8-6. Hand gags to open the ninth - AGAIN. This bullpen is suffering from a severe case of dingeritis lately. But we hold on and cut the divisional lead back to 6 games.

Plesac is back to start tonight, and the Tiggers have called up LHP Ryan Carpenter from AAA Toledo (1-5; 8.25 ERA) to start. Tonight will be game 2 of a four game home series with Detroit, while Minnesota hosts the New York Mutts.

Edited by brooks1957

That's just it, Nate. As fans, we all love to scoreboard watch and run all kinds of scenarios through our heads. But at the end of the day, The Tribe can only control what they can control.

I was not a fan of the move to send Bobby Bradley down when promoting Zach Plesac. I thought that he is not going to learn how to hit ML pitching at the AAA level. But I was given instant results when Jake came to the plate early in the game (in what would have been Bradley's spot) with a runner in scoring position and he ripped a double to score him. Could Bradley have done that? Maybe.

The roster now stands at 13 pitchers and 12 position players. That tells me that we are trading pitching for a big bat down the stretch.

Tribe hammered the Tigers again - the Mets got the better of the Twins - lead at 5 games now.

I’m betting on Bauer getting dealt for a big bat and perhaps another prospect. Kluber is coming back and the Dolans are cheap. He also doesn’t do well against the Twins, so it makes as much sense in the Dolan world to deal him now. He’s going to make a ton going forward. 

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I’m betting on Bauer getting dealt for a big bat and perhaps another prospect. Kluber is coming back and the Dolans are cheap. He also doesn’t do well against the Twins, so it makes as much sense in the Dolan world to deal him now. He’s going to make a ton going forward. 

The Dolan World - if you make more than $6/hr - you're outta here. But they still charge $48 for ONE seat in the right field seats.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brooks1957 said:

The Dolan World - if you make more than $6/hr - you're outta here. But they still charge $48 for ONE seat in the right field seats.

All while saying "We are losing money, but no, you can't see our books...and please ignore the fact that our team's value according to Forbes has QUINTOUPLED in value since we bought them".

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

On MLB.com, they reference an article from "The Athletic", where I believe it was Ken Rosenthal discussing the idea of sending Bauer AND Hand to the Braves for several of their top prospects, who are MLB ready.  Braves top 30

That is the thing BHD - no denying it, we are smack dab in the middle of a playoff race. You simply cannot trade off key components to you being in the race, and get nothing in return that keeps you in the race.

If Chernoff and Antonetti are bound and determined to trade Bauer, then it's time to play hardball with your trading partner and bend them over. If you want a premium front of the rotation and a premium closer, you BETTER come strong with your best offer. Get that weak stuff outta here, like Uncle Austin says....

Edited by brooks1957
  • Like 1