Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

13 hours ago, bruceb said:

But his normal self is not top caliber.

No way he should be our #3 hitter.

Ramirez is vastly superior in that spot.

what? Brantley broke out in '14 to be 3rd in MVP voting. His WAR was a 6.8 and his oWAR was 7.0. Right now Jose is at a 5.2 WAR and a 5 oWAR.

I feel like you dont remember how good that '14 season was for Brantley. 

Jose is currently batting .309/.362/.564

Brantley this year is at .299/.358/.445

Vastly superior when it comes to playing defense. He could be a gold glove 2B. Brantley is just a solid defender. When it comes to hitting they are right in the same spot. Jose is a little bit more pop but Brantley is the better contact hitter. 

Its a good problem to have for Terry when Brantley is healthy. Next year he should be even better because he wont need to rehab his shoulder in the offseason and can just prepare for the season. A first four of Lindor, Jose, Brantley, and EE is going to scare a lot pitchers. 

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

I dont think so, I heard he was with the team in Chicago and was taking part in team workouts. Hopefully we will see him back in the next week or so

Assuming everyone is healthy for the playoffs.  What is your lineup?  Who are your outfielders?

I would probably go with:                                                       Pitching Rotation of:

1. Lindor, SS                                                                          1. Kluber

2. Ramirez, 3B                                                                       2. Carasco

3. Brantley, LF                                                                        3. Bauer

4. Encarnacion, DH

5. Santana, 1B

6. Bruce, RF

7. Kipnis, 2B

8. Zimmer, CF

9. Gomes/Perez, C

Austin Jackson should start over Zimmer in CF. Same caliber of defense, but Jackson can actually hit.

1. Lindor, SS

2. Jackson, CF

3. Ramirez, 2B

4. Encarnacion, DH

5. Brantley, LF

6. Santana, 1B

7. Bruce, RF

8. Gomes / Perez, C

9. Urshela, 3B

Edited by candyman93

21 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Austin Jackson should start over Zimmer in CF. Same caliber of defense, but Jackson can actually hit.

1. Lindor, SS

2. Jackson, CF

3. Ramirez, 2B

4. Encarnacion, DH

5. Brantley, LF

6. Santana, 1B

7. Bruce, RF

8. Gomes / Perez, C

9. Urshela, 3B

I know we would lose a bit but not much with Chisenhall in CF but if he gets his stroke back I would platoon him with Jackson.

Also, if he keeps making contact at bat, I would play Urshella at 3rd for his D and Ramirez at 2nd.

I think Kipnis is a D liability and not consistent enough with his O to outweigh it.

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Hopefully the streak can survive with Tomlin pitching today. After him we'd have Bauer, Carrasco, and Klubot.

I think he will do fine. Defense behind him is playing great and he pitchers a lot better when it's colder. 

I remember Dustin fox mentioned it awhile ago but that Tomlin pitches a lot better when it's colder. Kinda makes sense cause tomlin seems to have a track record of pitching well in the beginning and the end of the season and struggles during th middle of the summer. He pitched to contact and the ball doesn't carry as well when it's colder so that could be part of the explanation. I also have faith with how the bullpen has been and how good the offense has been. 

Also for some reason he struggles turn it into a bullpen day. With cookie Klubot and clevenger pass 3 outings the bullpen could use some work lol. 

It be sweet to see them reach 20games

some fun facts of this Indians little run!

• Run differential extended to +204. This is now officially more than double their 2016 total of +101.
  • Tribe has a run diff. of 114-28 during this streak
  • The Indians' 7-9 batters are slashing .339/.386/.567 with .953 OPS during the win streak
  • Win today, and this is the 4th longest win streak since the Baseball Hall Of Fame was implemented in 1936. Currently a 3 way tie for 5th longest.
  • Like 2