Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

Sadly I'd rather the Indians stay out of these monster contracts.  They are destroying the sport and if you don't see it you're not looking.  

How often do these big price tag guys really work out?  I see it as more of a hindrance to have such a large percentage tied up in one player.  If even High cap teams have trouble making them fit how can we be expected to?  I would rather have a team full of hungry up and coming players for less money who actually look like they enjoy playing.  If any sport needs a salary cap it is definitely baseball.  These 7,8,10, hell 13 year contracts are awful for fans and the league.  It ties a team to a player who will only be useful for maybe half of that contract and then we as fans get to luxury of higher seat tickets to pay bad contracts.    I really hope the next bargaining agreement starts limiting the length of contracts so smaller market teams at least have a chance to participate.

Unfortunately it's not for the love of the game anymore and just, how can I make more than the next guy who cares about winning.  I fear we may be seeing the end of professional sports at this rate...

As for the Indians after this move. It really needed to be done.  We didn't have him for last year and still had a great season, more wins than the prior season.  Kluber has been declining for a couple years and he will never get younger sadly.  If you look at the Patriots they get rid of players before they tank and hopefully this is a move that is preemptive to Kluber going the way of Cody Allen.

21 hours ago, FEARtheELF said:

Chernoff and Antonetti have been boarder-line terrible the last couple of years. I don’t think there is a single move they got right. 

Yandy for Bauers trade, Bauer for Reyes, How they handled Kluber, Gomes, Brantley.... I am losing faith in the Indians FO. 

You look at it, how is the FO suppose to properly evaluate yandy when Tito rarely uses him 

Gomes? Perez completely outplayed what Gomes would have done. From that aspect alone the trade was fine. 

brantley deal falls squarely Dolans not the FO

kluber, they had to get something out of him cause it seems like they were going to let him walk at the end of the year 

3 hours ago, FEARtheELF said:

I don't expect any free agents or trades to acquire MLB talent. So it seems like we will be rolling into 2020 with something along the lines of.

• Perez
  • Santana/Bauers
  • Arroyo/Chang
  • Lindor/Velazquez 
  • Ramirez
  • Luplow/Daniel Johnson
  • DeShields
  • Mercado
  • Reyes

Going into the season with three atrocious lineup slots, for a team that is supposedly contending...

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Going into the season with three atrocious lineup slots, for a team that is supposedly contending...

giphy.gif

I will agree with DeShields and the 2B spot, but Luplow/D. Johnson could be a decent platoon.

We can hope that they are able to address the 2B spot, but I don't see many "comforting" options that fit the Indians business model. Josh Harrison, Scooter Gennett, Brock Holt, Travis Shaw, are guys that they might look at on vet min or minor league deals hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.

Do people really think, with the pattern established over the last couple years, that we are going to get an impact piece? Or even decent upgrades? We'll grab a few cheap reclamation projects, maybe another "utility" guy. I'm ticked at how the last couple years have gone down. A great on-field team torpedoed by penny pinching and misjudging the window on trading guys.

35 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Do people really think, with the pattern established over the last couple years, that we are going to get an impact piece? Or even decent upgrades? We'll grab a few cheap reclamation projects, maybe another "utility" guy. I'm ticked at how the last couple years have gone down. A great on-field team torpedoed by penny pinching and misjudging the window on trading guys.

i mean bauer for reyes was dope

On 12/16/2019 at 2:58 PM, Bonanza23 said:

Whilst I agree with this, remember the off season isn’t over. We have a ways to go. 

Thought the same thing last year and they did absolutely nothing. Except trot out CarGo and Hanley Rameriz on the starting day line up. 

thought they would do something with the money they saved on not keeping Brantley And Miller

Edited by buno67

11 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

yeah keep telling me the dolans aren’t cheap and can’t afford players lmao 

....but..... but AttENdaNcE

Just completely ignoring how much bank they get from TV.

The MLB wants to get rid of 40 minor league teams too, but yeah guys, it’s the dude who has to work 50 hours a week and can’t show up for games fault.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1