Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

3 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Meh, slight upgrade on Kipnis as a whole. Doesn’t really move the meter much though.

At least he's not a utility infielder.

But on that front, Mike Freeman accepted a Triple-A assignment and was invited to spring training.

Whoopdeedoo!

Positive signing in Hernandez. And reassuring to know they got some money to spend. 

With  that being said, I would be happy with this off-season if the can sign Bentances and Corey Dickerson. Bentances gives the bullpen a veteran presence outside Hand and we can get him discounted due to his injury.  Dickerson platooned with Luplow would create a plus position at LF for us. 

Would leave the RF spot as the only spot with some concern but you go in with the hope of one of Deshields, Daniel Johnson, or Jake Bauers grabbing an everyday role. If we are playing well, it’s something that we might be able to address at the deadline. 

On 12/23/2019 at 6:09 PM, FEARtheELF said:

...And reassuring to know they got some money to spend...

that will prolly be the only money they will spend.

Hell, I rather them have gone hard and spent money to fix the OF and just move JRam to 2B and bring up Jones to play 3B

• 3 weeks later...

After the Astros cleaned house following the sign stealing scandal, the Red Sox followed suit and cut ties with manager Alex Cora.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2871219-alex-cora-fired-as-red-sox-manager-amid-astros-sign-stealing-scandal

What do you think the chances are that the BoSox float Tito an offer to return to Bahhhstun - and If so, would he take it?

My feeling is no - unless the offer is a Monopoly Money offer

29 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

After the Astros cleaned house following the sign stealing scandal, the Red Sox followed suit and cut ties with manager Alex Cora.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2871219-alex-cora-fired-as-red-sox-manager-amid-astros-sign-stealing-scandal

What do you think the chances are that the BoSox float Tito an offer to return to Bahhhstun - and If so, would he take it?

My feeling is no - unless the offer is a Monopoly Money offer

I think he would take it.  Especially after this season when the Indians decline.  He wouldn't have to worry about ownership reducing payroll and not spending money.  Since the 2016 season they did invest in EE but we can argue that may not have been the right investment.  When he was injured they had no real "depth" and lost in 5 to the Yankees.  Last season they won 93 games (yay) but missed the playoffs. 

This season they traded Kluber and have more payroll reductions.  Can they handle injuries?  I doubt it.  I would expect them to miss the playoffs again this season.  That would mean Lindor is gone before he hits Arb 2 (~23 to 26M which you know the Indians won't pay).  With other "payroll" reductions I can see Tito going we had a good run but I am gone.  He would "retire" then the Red Sox would offer the brinks truck to bring him back.

As much as it drives us crazy that Dolan has cut payroll and let so many guys go over the years, the fact is, he is running one of the best franchises is baseball and I am not sure an owner with more money would put together a better organization.

Dolan can certainly spend more, there is no doubt about that. But, the team continues to win at a high level and has been a consistent contender for a long time.

2 minutes ago, FEARtheELF said:

As much as it drives us crazy that Dolan has cut payroll and let so many guys go over the years, the fact is, he is running one of the best franchises is baseball and I am not sure an owner with more money would put together a better organization.

Dolan can certainly spend more, there is no doubt about that. But, the team continues to win at a high level and has been a consistent contender for a long time.

Yeah, except we haven't won a World Series and have repeatedly failed to make the right moves necessary to win one when we have a legit opportunity to do so.

Look at what happened last year. Instead of making the moves to make a push for the WS, we were complacent and then failed to even make the playoffs. Now we'll send off Lindor sooner or later, and we'll essentially rebuild again.

Rinse and repeat.

9 minutes ago, FEARtheELF said:

Indians were a contender for 2 years. That’s it.

6 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Yeah, except we haven't won a World Series and have repeatedly failed to make the right moves necessary to win one when we have a legit opportunity to do so.

Look at what happened last year. Instead of making the moves to make a push for the WS, we were complacent and then failed to even make the playoffs. Now we'll send off Lindor sooner or later, and we'll essentially rebuild again.

Rinse and repeat.

If this is as good as it gets, just move the Indians and save the taxpayers money.

There’s 2 other franchises in the city to support.

Edited by candyman93