Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Its truly embarrassing isnt it? Why can we not just have a nice thing. Thats the hard part of being a baseball fan in a small market--its almost impossible to stay in contention past 3-4 years. Fact is, 2016 was the year. It was the year everything got put togetrher and it was the year to hit the lottery and win it. Buuuuut they blew it. Now comes the tear down and hopefully they can have another run in 8-10 years.

Jose Ramirez and Carlos Carrasco are the ONLY players we currently have under contract after this year. We only have 2 players....on the entire team....who are guaranteed to be here next year. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if they unloaded Lindor/Sunshine and others for as many prospects as they can.

What are you talking about?

Clevinger isnt a FA until '23. Bieber isnt a FA until '25, Perez isnt a FA until '23, Reyes isnt a FA until '25, Mercado isnt a FA until '26 and can go on with some of their other younger talent as well.

I believe they will lock up Clevinger so their future big 3 of Clev, Bieber, and Plesac are playing together. 

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

What are you talking about?

Clevinger isnt a FA until '23. Bieber isnt a FA until '25, Perez isnt a FA until '23, Reyes isnt a FA until '25, Mercado isnt a FA until '26 and can go on with some of their other younger talent as well.

I believe they will lock up Clevinger so their future big 3 of Clev, Bieber, and Plesac are playing together. 

They are all in arbitration years, what happens if the player wins arbitration and its more than the cheap Indians are wanting to pay? Wouldnt they put that player on the trade market? Obviously some of those guys will be here but I really get the feeling from the Indians that they are clearing the books to rebuild with prospects. Without Lindor this team is not a playoff team. So why wouldnt they trade their high level assets for a rebuild instead of sitting in mediocrity.

As far as Clevenger the Padres/Dodgers/Angels have all be linked to wanting to trade for him and as we know, the Indians are cheap. There has been a couple instances where his name has been brought up in trade talks. It might not be this year, but I dont think there is any way like Lindor that he receives a long term deal from CLE. Hes likely gone the first time somebody comes with a good enough package.

Edited by AkronsWitness

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

They are all in arbitration years, what happens if the player wins arbitration and its more than the cheap Indians are wanting to pay? Wouldnt they put that player on the trade market? Obviously some of those guys will be here but I really get the feeling from the Indians that they are clearing the books to rebuild with prospects. Without Lindor this team is not a playoff team. So why wouldnt they trade their high level assets for a rebuild instead of sitting in mediocrity.

As far as Clevenger the Padres/Dodgers/Angels have all be linked to wanting to trade for him and as we know, the Indians are cheap. There has been a couple instances where his name has been brought up in trade talks. It might not be this year, but I dont think there is any way like Lindor that he receives a long term deal from CLE. Hes likely gone the first time somebody comes with a good enough package.

Yeah but I doubt the arbitration numbers are going to be that high to force that. 

Those teams you mentioned were all linked in trades with the Indians because the Indians still had Kluber and Bauer. Those 2 and Clev were talked about but the deals never worked out. 

indians rarely trade guys with that many years left on their deal. They still have enough young core that they can still compete 

12 hours ago, buno67 said:

Yeah but I doubt the arbitration numbers are going to be that high to force that. 

Those teams you mentioned were all linked in trades with the Indians because the Indians still had Kluber and Bauer. Those 2 and Clev were talked about but the deals never worked out. 

indians rarely trade guys with that many years left on their deal. They still have enough young core that they can still compete 

Got it, what do you think the core of this team is going to look like moving forward in this new era then post-Lindor? The somehow got Jram to agree to a cheap extention and they did the same with Cookie but I wonder who are the other guys they will make a point to be the 'new' Kluber, Kipnis, Brantley, ect.

I can see Perez because of how good he is defensively for the pitching staff but everybody else seems liek they are on the bubble

52 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Got it, what do you think the core of this team is going to look like moving forward in this new era then post-Lindor? The somehow got Jram to agree to a cheap extention and they did the same with Cookie but I wonder who are the other guys they will make a point to be the 'new' Kluber, Kipnis, Brantley, ect.

I can see Perez because of how good he is defensively for the pitching staff but everybody else seems liek they are on the bubble

Truly we have no idea what the future might hold cause all our minor league guys are going to miss significant development time because of the lost season. 

The starting pitching staff is truly going to be the core. Shane Bieber, Mike Clevinger, Carlos Carrasco, Aaron Civale, Zach Plesac, and Adam Plutko give the team a very deep pitching staff. It allows you to be flexible that you can trade one or two to fill in spots on the offense. Also helps they had young guys in the minors who look like they are developing but you have to wonder what happens now with their development.

Offensively, potentially its Perez, Chang, Mercado, Reyes, Zimmer (who finally looks healthy physically and mentally).It really comes down to the youth. The one player the Indians really need is Nolan Jones. Really need him to pan out once he is called up. 

To say the Indians only have 2 players going forward is extremely pessimistic. Also its been rare for the Indians to move on from a guy after one season of arbitration. Also Clev isnt the future Ace of the staff, its Bieber. They will try and pull a Kluber contract with him.

Honestly I thought Clev was younger but he 29. So they might just play out his contract. Would be the smartest thing to do and try and lock up Bieber, Civale, and Plesac

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Roberto Perez is otherworldly defensively.

Also, it’s not possible hitting Bieber’s curveball. 

9 k’s through top of 4th.

Perez is one of the better catchers in league. I think he is a top10 catcher. He is one of the best defensive catchers in the league and he looked like one of the better hitting catchers last year. Lot of his stars were top15 in MLB.