Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Are we seriously going to blame coaching for the lack of bats in our offense or the refusal to open up the pocket books? This is egregious...

I’m blaming the developmental staff. They’ve proven with a good developmental staff they can create great pitches. So need to do the same with hitting.

but yes dolans certainly aren’t helping on their end  

37 minutes ago, buno67 said:

why? he taught everyone how to choke...getting rid of him will be a breathe of fresh air

He also taught them how to be a playoff team. Something they couldn’t do before him. Every year with Tito we’ve been competitive. I’d rather not go back to the years where we constantly rebuild and suck. 

• Like 1

Just now, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’m blaming the developmental staff. They’ve proven with a good developmental staff they can create great pitches. So need to do the same with hitting.

but yes dolans certainly aren’t helping on their end  

Yes to an extent, but both Frankie and Jose are home grown guys that they developed. They acquired Brantley when he was young, and yet they let him walk out the door. So, when you continue to let guys you acquire, and then develop (I agree they need to do better at drafting these guys) walk away, that's not on the developmental staff.

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yes to an extent, but both Frankie and Jose are home grown guys that they developed. They acquired Brantley when he was young, and yet they let him walk out the door. So, when you continue to let guys you acquire, and then develop (I agree they need to do better at drafting these guys) walk away, that's not on the developmental staff.

Lindor was a child prodigy. He was going to be great no matter what. But yes they did well with Jose and Brantley. I just wish they did well with more. The pitching development seems to have a much higher turnout %. Which they absolutely need in order to stay competitive. The second that goes down they’re done. I hate the dolans as much as everyone but I’m not going blame them for not keeping lindor. Even the red Sox’s couldn’t keep Mookie. 

Edited by sdrawkcab321

3 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I hate the dolans as much as everyone but I’m not going blame them for not keeping lindor. Even the red Sox’s couldn’t keep Mookie. 

The difference is, at some point, every small market team has to pay their superstar player (See: Yellich, Christian). The Sox with Mookie was a dumpster fire, but they're a big market team and have won 4 Titles and spent like madmen to do it at points.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Lindor was a child prodigy. He was going to be great no matter what. But yes they did well with Jose and Brantley. I just wish they did well with more. The pitching development seems to have a much higher turnout %. Which they absolutely need in order to stay competitive. The second that goes down they’re done. I hate the dolans as much as everyone but I’m not going blame them for not keeping lindor. Even the red Sox’s couldn’t keep Mookie. 

They have had guys but they often give up on guys too early. Like Gio Urshela who they just flat out cut. Yandy Diaz is another they gave away for Jake Bauers who is garbage. Bradley Zimmer was supposed to be that dude as well but injuries derailed him which is just unlucky. Mercado has flashed. They developed Roberto Perez into the best defensive catcher in MLB and also developed Jason Kipnis. Naquin is on the verge of a breakout season next year.

So there are guys, but the problem is that they either gave up on them too early or got hit with injuries. 

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

The difference is, at some point, every small market team has to pay their superstar player (See: Yellich, Christian). The Sox with Mookie was a dumpster fire, but they're a big market team and have won 4 Titles and spent like madmen to do it at points.

Yeah but the reverse side to it that the Indians are probably looking at is what happened to the Tigers with Miggy. Small market, gave the moon to Miggy to stay and are still regretting that decision years later. They couldnt pay to keep talent around Miggy or develop anybody and now they are just stuck in no mans land.

That decision to pay Cabrerra 250 million set the Tigers franchise back a decade

Edited by AkronsWitness

16 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah but the reverse side to it that the Indians are probably looking at is what happened to the Tigers with Miggy. Small market, gave the moon to Miggy to stay and are still regretting that decision years later. They couldnt pay to keep talent around Miggy or develop anybody and now they are just stuck in no mans land.

That decision to pay Cabrerra 250 million set the Tigers franchise back a decade

They made the right move paying miggie the first time. It was the second contract when he was in his mid 30s that screwed them over. 

17 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

The Indians are in no mans land and have been since the World Series. Getting bounced in the first round every year is not competing. We have a 8 game post season losing streak.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

The Indians are in no mans land and have been since the World Series. Getting bounced in the first round every year is not competing. We have a 8 game post season losing streak.

So do you want to pay Lindor + get another piece or two to get over the hump or trade everybody and miss the postseason for the next X amount of years

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

So do you want to pay Lindor + get another piece or two to get over the hump or trade everybody and miss the postseason for the next X amount of years

What’s the difference between missing the post season and losing in the first round / getting swept every year?

46 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Where are we going to get another piece or two? These isn’t a stud ready in the farm system and we know they won’t sign any one for that