Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

5 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Baseball isnt the NFL or NBA, there is nothing a coach can do in baseball to get their hitters to hit the ball. They cant 'scheme' runs on the board.

Somewhat disagree with your premise.

Coaches can lead: Critically evaluate performance, motivate, inspire and, maybe most importantly, hold players accountable.

It sometimes struck me that these were areas in which he was asleep at the switch.

In the latest suggestion that the star shortstop will likely be playing elsewhere next year, Lindor made it sound like his time in Cleveland is coming to an end after the Indians were swept in the AL wild-card series by the Yankees.

“It’s not a surprise. It makes sense,” the four-time All-Star and two-time Gold Glove winner told reporters over Zoom on Thursday, when asked about the trade rumors he’s heard, with just one year remaining on his contract.

“It is what it is. You can’t cover the sky with one hand. It makes sense. It’s the reputation the organization has. It is what it is. On the other hand, I can’t control the future. I can’t control the moves this organization makes.”

Lindor, 26, was set to make $17.5 million after an arbitration hearing with the team last offseason. He is arbitration eligible for one more season before becoming a free agent after 2021. Lindor hit .258 with eight home runs and 28 RBIs while playing in all 60 games of the coronavirus-shortened season. He said the Indians “of course” can meet his asking price.

“It’s a billion-dollar team,” he said.

Tell em Frankie.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, candyman93 said:

What’s the difference between missing the post season and losing in the first round / getting swept every year?

Realizing that your a small market Indians team and being relevant at all is a victory. 

It's very easy to not watch baseball when your team is bad, I've enjoyed the past 7-8 years getting back into baseball and caring about watching it. Having the Indians go back into rebuilding mode for a decade would lose 1/2 the fans they spent the better part of this decade trying to get back.

I have so many good memories since Tito took over watching the Indians just being IN the playoffs and having that hype. I don't want that to go away even if I'm my heart of hearts I know we won't win the entire thing.

This year was fun to watch even though everyone knew the Indians were not a real WS contender. It kept me engaged and kept me interested in the team. As a small market team with the 24th or whatever payroll, that's a win. You sell off the entire team for a rebuild then you lose and become the Pirates, Reds or Tigers. Nobody wants to root for that and I probably won't ever pay attention to the Indians if they do that, which sucks

Edited by AkronsWitness

9 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I dont think his health is going to let him keep coaching. Sandy just got a season of experience and has seen Tito coach for years now, hopefully they give him a shot.

I’m hoping for one more year of Tito. Have him seriously train Alomar to take over the team. Like backy said have Tito in the front office and advise Alomar. 

21 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

I’m hoping for one more year of Tito. Have him seriously train Alomar to take over the team. Like backy said have Tito in the front office and advise Alomar. 

The way this team is going to be built. I don’t want a Tito 2.0. Want someone who is going to develop these young guys. Tito has never been a guy to develop young talent. He has been about riding and dying with his vets. I want a major youth movement really if they are going to strip this thing down

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

The way this team is going to be built. I don’t want a Tito 2.0. Want someone who is going to develop these young guys. Tito has never been a guy to develop young talent. He has been about riding and dying with his vets. I want a major youth movement really if they are going to strip this thing down

Pretty sure Alomar is his own man. How do you know he won’t develop guys?  Besides development is more the job of the minor league system. 

25 minutes ago, buno67 said:

You don't want a guy who went to 8 straight postseasons with next to zero budget to do so?

This isn't the NFL or NBA man lol 

Tito reinvented the Cleveland Indians and they haven't had a manager even close to him 

Edited by AkronsWitness