Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

I guess I’d rather change a name than have others feel insulted.

Names like Indians, Braves and Chiefs aren’t what I would consider offensive as they’re not demeaning, but stuff like the tomahawk chop and the chief wahoo mascot are over the top imo.

Id generally avoid any stereotyping of an ethnicity for a mascot though.  That’s just me.

Just a few things that I find ironic:

1. They named the team (Indians) to honor one of their Native American players

The CLEVELAND INDIANS baseball team, a charter member of the American League, founded in 1901, was originally named the Blues, then the Broncos, and from 1903-11 was known as the Naps, in honor of player-manager NAPOLEON LAJOIE. From 1912-14 the team was officially named the Molly McGuires but popularly was still called the Naps. In 1915 Lajoie was traded and, based on sportswriters' suggestions, the team became permanently known as the Indians, a nickname used in the 1890s when the Amerindian LOUIS "CHIEF" SOCKALEXIS played for the old National League CLEVELAND SPIDERS.

2. Blame Christopher Columbus for thinking that he landed in India. The dude was the most overrated person in all of human history. He didn't prove the earth was round, he didn't discover America (I'm looking at you Leif Erikson and Amerigo Vespucci), and he was responsible for blatant racist Imperial actions in the name of Catholicism, greed, and Spain/Portugal.

3. The term "American Indian" is still used today. Blame the American Anthropological Association. As a matter of fact, this is an interesting read from the perspective of varying indigenous tribes and people:

https://www.nativetimes.com/index.php/life/commentary/11389-native-american-vs-american-indian-political-correctness-dishonors-traditional-chiefs-of-old

So is Lindor going to get traded this off-season or are they going to stall on his departure another year?

Sucks the way our organization is built, with such limited windows as a small market franchise.

If we do trade him, I want at least one elite prospect to go with some other guys who have major league potential. No deal for a handful of average upside prospects.

18 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

So is Lindor going to get traded this off-season or are they going to stall on his departure another year?

Sucks the way our organization is built, with such limited windows as a small market franchise.

If we do trade him, I want at least one elite prospect to go with some other guys who have major league potential. No deal for a handful of average upside prospects.

They will trade him. They can’t afford to hold on to him to make him a deadline trade. This team won’t compete next year until a rookie or two blows up. Keeping him would be just a cash grab for the first couple months. 

2 hours ago, FGK said:

Well, this conversation didn't go off the rails, good job.

Time to quit while we're ahead.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Way to go @MWil23.  I told you not to keep bringing up Vespucci in every damned thread.

This is an acquiesce that I win  :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NateDawg said:

If the Indians trade him, look at the Phillies or braves. They will want him out of American League. Braves top two prospects are major league ready outfielders and the Phillies have Alec Bohm who should be the beginning of any trade With them involving lindor. Bohm is going to be a stud