Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

5 hours ago, bruceb said:

8 behind MN

They're in the 2nd WC spot also.  Kind of a logjam there, so ultimately you'd like to see them make up more ground on the Twins and make a run at the Division to have the best chance, really.  Teams like Boston are destined to make those deadline acquisitions as they often do. 

They've won 8 out of the last 10.  Putting some good games together.  Need to continue cleaning up on the bottom-dweller teams like KC this week. 

So, ya think the Tribe is dead and buried for 2019? Has anyone checked the standings this morning? The Twinkies once seemingly insurmountable lead of 14 games is down to just 8.........

And we still have  - ALL of July, ALL of August & ALL of September to play. Oh yeah - we still have 12 head to head games with the Twins to play. Hey Mom, we certainly wouldn't turn down a little help from up above!

Instead of our early season line up of the likes of Hanley Ramirez, Carlos Gonzalez, Leonys Martin, Max Moroff, Brad Miller, and Eric Stamets - we now feature budding future stars like Oscar Mercado and Bobby Bradley.

Bradley is "strong like bull". He has a controlled swing, and consequently that allows him to attack pitching. He will have days where he struggles, but his swing is oh so pretty. It is what has given him success at every level of baseball he has been at.

Jose is actually showing signs of having a pulse again. Naquin may not be the most gifted athlete out there among the nine, but he has something every manager craves. He gives you 110% every batting practice, every play in the field, and every live at bat. But the biggest positive force in the resurgence has to be veteran 2B Jason Kipnis. Not only has the Kip Dog had several key hits, I see him growing into the role of a respected senior veteran on this team. Re: post game interview Friday night with Andre Knott and Tyler Naquin. Andre and Naq were going over his incredible 8th inning outfield double play. Tyler was talking about how he had to adjust his route. The interview shifts to Kip and as Tyler is leaving, Kip Dog shouts out to Naq -

"Nice route, Magellan!"

I about blew my water all over the living room floor. The boys are having fun again. Just like Mom would have wanted it. Did I hear pitching? We lose Kluber, Carrasco, and Clevinger - and we don't even blink. Enter Plutko, Plesac, and now Civale.

Only thing to say to the Twins is - GAME ON!

This boy is officially back on the bandwagon. Besides, the red jerseys are the coolest!

• Like 1

@brooks1957

yeah the lead is 8 but I keep hearing that after the AS break the twins will have an easy schedule. Yeah we are beating up on these bad teams but the twins will be facing these bad teams as well. We really need them to get struck by the injury bug so we have a chance for the division. 

The real question is what is the move you make to improve the team to make a potential run. 

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, flyers0909 said:

This thread wasn't active at all for like a year I never even ventured in here anymore haha, thanks for the heads up.  I'll read through this thread and catch up.

You’re thinking the wrong area, we moved all Indians and Cavaliers talk into the Browns sub forum 😉. There’s been plenty of talk. 

But 🤫 it’s our own secret sanctuary. 

5 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

You’re thinking the wrong area, we moved all Indians and Cavaliers talk into the Browns sub forum 😉. There’s been plenty of talk. 

But 🤫 it’s our own secret sanctuary. 

Browns forum is so discreet that even a couple of our moderators don’t come in here.

• Like 1

Bobby Bradley stat line -

2 ML games

2 RBI doubles (in consecutive games). Nice move holding him back, front office.

Kip Dog with the walk off bomb last night. Lead cut to 7-1/2 games.

Now if anyone wants to believe the Tribe dug themselves too big of a hole to crawl back out of early in the season, then go right ahead. But let me offer these two sobering points........

First - 1964 (yes, I am old) - the Phillies had a THIRTEEN game lead with just six weeks to play - and gagged up the National League pennant to the St. Louis Cardinals. So, in my mind, to think that a 7-1/2 game lead cannot be overcome with three full months left in the season is utterly foolhardy. More to the point, we still have 13 games where we go head to head with the Twins. (6 in MIN - 7 in CLE).

Secondly - The Twins find themselves in first place this late in the year for the first time in almost 30 years. Most of the players on this year's team, if not all of them, were not even born yet the last time the Twins were in the thick of it this late in the year. It is a completely different animal to be the hunted, and not the hunter. Will the Twins get the "deer in the headlights" mentality and realize all of a sudden they are walking the tightrope without a safety net below? Will they stay injury free? Most importantly, with their pitching hold up? The Tribe is the team that has been battle tested down the stretch, we will see if the Twins have the staying power to go toe to toe with that history.

It's like the old saying in golf - The Masters really doesn't start until the back nine on Sunday afternoon. Pressure can bring the strongest of men to their knees. Speaking of golf - does anyone remember 1999, and the British Open, and a certain Frenchman by the name of Jean VanDeVelde? That might be the all time choke job in sports history.

I am PUMPED to see how this chase ends. The Tribe has definitely picked themselves up off the mat - and Lord help those that stand in their way now.

1 hour ago, brooks1957 said:

Bobby Bradley stat line -

2 ML games

2 RBI doubles (in consecutive games). Nice move holding him back, front office.

Kip Dog with the walk off bomb last night. Lead cut to 7-1/2 games.

Now if anyone wants to believe the Tribe dug themselves too big of a hole to crawl back out of early in the season, then go right ahead. But let me offer these two sobering points........

First - 1964 (yes, I am old) - the Phillies had a THIRTEEN game lead with just six weeks to play - and gagged up the National League pennant to the St. Louis Cardinals. So, in my mind, to think that a 7-1/2 game lead cannot be overcome with three full months left in the season is utterly foolhardy. More to the point, we still have 13 games where we go head to head with the Twins. (6 in MIN - 7 in CLE).

Secondly - The Twins find themselves in first place this late in the year for the first time in almost 30 years. Most of the players on this year's team, if not all of them, were not even born yet the last time the Twins were in the thick of it this late in the year. It is a completely different animal to be the hunted, and not the hunter. Will the Twins get the "deer in the headlights" mentality and realize all of a sudden they are walking the tightrope without a safety net below? Will they stay injury free? Most importantly, with their pitching hold up? The Tribe is the team that has been battle tested down the stretch, we will see if the Twins have the staying power to go toe to toe with that history.

It's like the old saying in golf - The Masters really doesn't start until the back nine on Sunday afternoon. Pressure can bring the strongest of men to their knees. Speaking of golf - does anyone remember 1999, and the British Open, and a certain Frenchman by the name of Jean VanDeVelde? That might be the all time choke job in sports history.

I am PUMPED to see how this chase ends. The Tribe has definitely picked themselves up off the mat - and Lord help those that stand in their way now.

That is true but our 2nd best hitter has been Carlos and it’s unsure if he can keep up this production. He notoriously was a slow starter at the plate and usually warmed up in June but he has been solid at the plate all season and maybe could get better but who knows if he potentially takes a nose dive. Yea we are hot lately but so is kip, has he finally found his swing? He lost it over 3 years ago, is it back? 

If Santana can keep it up, Kip keeps this bat Luke warm, and Jose can find a pulse this offense might have a chance

• Like 1

A million percent correct Buno. The Tribe certainly could expend all their energy chasing the Twins down - then run out of gas at the end and fall flat on their face.

But I have always been - and sometimes to my detriment - more of a glass half full kind of guy, as opposed to a glass half empty kind of guy.

But that is what makes baseball so fun, because it is so unpredictable. One way or the other, the truth will be revealed over the next three months.

@buno67 Good point, mon frere.

Edited by brooks1957

7 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

A million percent correct Buno. The Tribe certainly could expend all their energy chasing the Twins down - then run out of gas at the end and fall flat on their face.

But I have always been - and sometimes to my detriment - more of a glass half full kind of guy, as opposed to a glass half empty kind of guy.

But that is what makes baseball so fun, because it is so unpredictable. One way or the other, the truth will be revealed over the next three months.

@buno67 Good point, mon frere.

With how the pitching staff has been. Depending on when Klub and Cookie come back, I would trade Bauer and really try to increase the offense, if the Indians stay hot.