Ideas to fix the defense

everlong

4 hours ago, Elky said:

I don't think CB is as much of a need as people think. Gilmore/Rowe/Bademosi can be a solid unit with better front seven play.

Cut Branch, Gilisee, McClellin, Harris, Allen (keep Bennett while monitoring his health) as @Deadpulse suggests and that should give us enough room to get someone like Dontari Poe.

It goes both ways though.  If you go back and watch the SB, there were plays where Harrison and Flowers got pressure but couldn't get to Foles because coverage broke down so quickly and he was able to get it out.  We've left too many guys wide open on too many 3rd downs this year for me to be comfortable with the current group.

Gillmore is a clear #1 corner, I think Rowe and Bademosi and the Jones are good rotational players, but getting a true #2 guy behind Gillmore would really help this defense.  Maybe that's more of a draft priority though.

On 2/5/2018 at 8:31 PM, CP3MVP said:

When was the last time you trusted the Patriots defense? 2006? Even that year they blew it. I’ve never been comfortable with this defense no matter what pretty defensive PPG stats they put up. 

The Revis-Browner year was pretty good. 

22 hours ago, mission27 said:

It goes both ways though.  If you go back and watch the SB, there were plays where Harrison and Flowers got pressure but couldn't get to Foles because coverage broke down so quickly and he was able to get it out.  We've left too many guys wide open on too many 3rd downs this year for me to be comfortable with the current group.

Gillmore is a clear #1 corner, I think Rowe and Bademosi and the Jones are good rotational players, but getting a true #2 guy behind Gillmore would really help this defense.  Maybe that's more of a draft priority though.

Not to say that we should ignore the position, I just think the line is a higher priority.

55 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Speaking of, Chiefs just let Revis go, maybe he's an option for opposite Gilmore?  I know he wasn't great last year but still not a bad starting corner.  Probably wouldn't be that expensive either.  I really wanted him last year.

22 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Speaking of, Chiefs just let Revis go, maybe he's an option for opposite Gilmore?  I know he wasn't great last year but still not a bad starting corner.  Probably wouldn't be that expensive either.  I really wanted him last year.

Eh, I think he's a clear downgrade from Rowe at this point. He didn't play well in New York either, he's much older, and has lost a couple steps. Not really worth it IMO.

Rowe could be a solid #2, if not an average one. The problem is, if he goes down, you're looking at Bademosi and Jonathan Jones on the outside with the other inside. The position needs depth, at least.

16 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Nah, he's a has-been. Much rather see how much Kyle Fuller would cost.

47 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Eh, I think he's a clear downgrade from Rowe at this point. He didn't play well in New York either, he's much older, and has lost a couple steps. Not really worth it IMO.

Rowe could be a solid #2, if not an average one. The problem is, if he goes down, you're looking at Bademosi and Jonathan Jones on the outside with the other inside. The position needs depth, at least.

Idk do you really like Rowe that much?  Its just hard for me to take a guy seriously who gets destroyed by Alshon F'ing Jeffrey.  Its not like we're talking about Julio Jones here, and given Rowe's size and strength, you'd think he could cover that guy.  I know its only one game but still.  Its not like he had a huge sample size covering outside receivers this year, right?  Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

7 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Idk do you really like Rowe that much?  Its just hard for me to take a guy seriously who gets destroyed by Alshon F'ing Jeffrey.  Its not like we're talking about Julio Jones here, and given Rowe's size and strength, you'd think he could cover that guy.  I know its only one game but still.  Its not like he had a huge sample size covering outside receivers this year, right?  Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

Rowe missed a lot of the year with injury, which led to the Jonathan Jones exposure. He's a solid boundary guy, IYAM. He got beat by Jeffery early but Jeffery is a very good receiver with elite jump-ball ability, I wouldn't exactly lambaste Rowe for that. Especially since he was in position and nearly got a hand on the ball, not many receivers make that play. 

Rowe actually covered Julio for a lot of last year's SB and did a solid job containing him. I'm a fan and think if he stays healthy, he'd be a solid #2. 

On 2/5/2018 at 8:31 PM, CP3MVP said:

When was the last time you trusted the Patriots defense? 2006? Even that year they blew it. I’ve never been comfortable with this defense no matter what pretty defensive PPG stats they put up. 

2005 against the Eagles in the Super Bowl they had struggled without Rodney Harrison. 2006 against the Broncos I felt like was the last time their defense was good enough to lead the team in the playoffs. By 2007 they were too slow and it showed against the Colts in the championship. From there, with the exception of a handful of games and 2014 season with Revis, the Pats have been carried by Brady.

On 2/8/2018 at 4:35 PM, mission27 said:

Revis is terrible now. Idk why anyone would want him. He sucked his last year with the Jets and sucked with the Chiefs. The cost wouldn't be worth the play. 

On 2/5/2018 at 6:31 PM, CP3MVP said:

I mean if we are being totally honest, 2003 they got torched by the Panthers in the Super Bowl. They were fading fast against the Eagles as well, we just had time on our side and Reid botching the clock management. They beat up on those Colts teams, but in hindsight, Manning's offense always struggled in the playoffs when they let teams play and his timing was off because of physical receivers, and the Patriots weren't the only team to do it, we were just the first. 2006 was the last year of that core defense. By 2007 I hated the secondary and all year I was terrified of Ellis Hobbs and sure enough he gave up the TD in the Super Bowl. 2009-2013 the defense was crap, it got better when we brought on Talib. 2014 the defense was real good despite a slow start. However, they almost blew the Super Bowl for us. 2016 the defense was very opportunistic, they actually had one of the better defensive performances in the Super Bowl for a Pats team since 2001. Only allowed a historic Falcons offense 14 points in the first half and 7 in the second half. And one of those scores was after a fumble. But because of the offensive struggles and the pick six making the score 28-3 people act like the defense got torched when they virtually shut out the Falcons after the first drive the 2nd half and got key stops and a strip sack that basically won us the game. Then the 2017 was talent devoid, but had great discipline and good scheming. However, we made the stupid decision to double down on the lack of talent by removing one of our most physically talented members of the secondary and having a lot of guys play off position.

^In the SB against the falcons the patriots offense dominated TOP having the ball for over 40 mins. Brady alone had over 60 throws. That’s a significant factor in “holding” that offense to 21 points(in 23 minutes of offense btw)

This again is why the points per per game allowed stat needs to be placed in proper context.

On 2/8/2018 at 5:39 PM, Yin-Yang said:

Yeah They were good but not great. I remember Joe Flacco and the ravens offense embrassing them in foxboro where brady had to put together an all time performance to get them out of there with W. I also recall they weren’t so  hot in the Super Bowl either. Remember that drive allowing the TD before the half? Or when they allowed the seahawks to drive the length of the field until Wilson throws the dumb interception in the red zone?

Basically  the common theme of the patriots defense of this decade is as long as you don’t self implode with either or poor play calling or poor individual mistakes you will be fine moving the ball at will on them. 

Archived