Ideas to fix the defense

everlong

15 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

^In the SB against the falcons the patriots offense dominated TOP having the ball for over 40 mins. Brady alone had over 60 throws. That’s a significant factor in “holding” that offense to 21 points(in 23 minutes of offense btw)

This again is why the points per per game allowed stat needs to be placed in proper context.

Okay and they still held a great defense to 21 points, and Brady's offense gave up 7 other points. Also time of possession also had to do with things like a strip sack that got the ball back to the offense. Things like the defense holding the Falcons to 1/8 on third down conversion attempts. 

You're not giving the defense credit. 

You take away the pick six and the Blount fumble on offense, the Falcons might only score 14 points the entire game, and if the Patriots offense scored earlier in the game, you're looking at a massive swing. The offense in the first half was a bigger issue in that game than the defense. 

Just now, CP3MVP said:

Yeah They were good but not great. I remember Joe Flacco and the ravens offense embrassing them in foxboro where brady had to put together an all time performance to get them out of there with W. I also recall they weren’t so  hot in the Super Bowl either. Remember that drive allowing the TD before the half? Or when they allowed the seahawks to drive the length of the field until Wilson throws the dumb interception in the red zone?

Basically  the common theme of the patriots defense of this decade is as long as you don’t self implode with either or poor play calling or poor individual mistakes you will be fine moving the ball at will on them. 

Could say the same thing about the 2003 Panthers, 2004 Eagles, 2006 Colts in that playoff game with the lead we had. 

Tbh some people have whack expectations.  Its like they think anything short of the '15 Broncos is a bad defense. 

The 2016 Pats led the league in points allowed per game on defense.  They gave up 17 points, including 8 garbage time points, to Big Ben, Leveon Bell, and Antonio Brown in the AFCCG.  Then they gave up 21 points to one of the greatest offenses, statistically, in NFL history in the Super Bowl.  Gave up zero points in the 4th quarter and got some big sacks and turnovers to save the game.  But they didn't 'feel' like a good defense?  Come on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2018 at 7:55 PM, mission27 said:

Tbh some people have whack expectations.  Its like they think anything short of the '15 Broncos is a bad defense. 

The 2016 Pats led the league in points allowed per game on defense.  They gave up 17 points, including 8 garbage time points, to Big Ben, Leveon Bell, and Antonio Brown in the AFCCG.  Then they gave up 21 points to one of the greatest offenses, statistically, in NFL history in the Super Bowl.  Gave up zero points in the 4th quarter and got some big sacks and turnovers to save the game.  But they didn't 'feel' like a good defense?  Come on.

To be fair, Bell left the game early and never returned due to injury. That effectively neutered Pittsburgh's offense.

One of my favorite players is Paul Posluszny. I understand he is very average for shedding blocks, but he is great in coverage for the position he plays and truly a defensive leader. Any ballpark ideas as to how much he will get per year as a free agent?

2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

One of my favorite players is Paul Posluszny. I understand he is very average for shedding blocks, but he is great in coverage for the position he plays and truly a defensive leader. Any ballpark ideas as to how much he will get per year as a free agent?

What Poslusnzy are you watching? He was terrible this year in coverage.

He was the player even Jaguars fans admitted that we should have looked to target anytime he was on the field. 

Hard pass on a slow, aging LB. No need for a David Harris 2.0.

4 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

What Poslusnzy are you watching? He was terrible this year in coverage.

He was the player even Jaguars fans admitted that we should have looked to target anytime he was on the field. 

Hard pass on a slow, aging LB. No need for a David Harris 2.0.

Might have been a scheme thing as much as anything else. Any idea what he will cost a year?

22 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Might have been a scheme thing as much as anything else. Any idea what he will cost a year?

Not sure. I don't think he's someone the Patriots should even entertain. 

Overall, I feel like they need to add speed/youth to their front seven. Players like Marquise Flowers should not being seeing the field, unless it's for special teams. Van Noy I like in a limited role, but his role should exactly be that. He's not an every down LB.

I'll be interested to see how they upgrade this front seven. Before Hightower went down, they had his hand in the dirt a lot, with Van Noy in the middle. I'm not so sure that'll be the plan this season.

11 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Not sure. I don't think he's someone the Patriots should even entertain. 

Overall, I feel like they need to add speed/youth to their front seven. Players like Marquise Flowers should not being seeing the field, unless it's for special teams. Van Noy I like in a limited role, but his role should exactly be that. He's not an every down LB.

I'll be interested to see how they upgrade this front seven. Before Hightower went down, they had his hand in the dirt a lot, with Van Noy in the middle. I'm not so sure that'll be the plan this season.

I just like Posluszny, not necessarily for the Patriots. I just like him and am wondering out loud what he will get.

14 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Luckily the draft is full of athletes this year, a bunch at LB too. 

The Patriots met with Rashaan Evans and Leighton Vander Esch (among other, non-LBs). Can’t imagine the latter falls to 31, though.

Archived