Foles vs. Wentz - what will the Eagles do??

KC_Guy

Trade him when they get a crazy offer, obviously. 

Might not come until after Cousins signs somewhere, but it’ll happen. Wouldn’t surprise me if a team loves him enough to get him even before FA.

If I’m Philly, I keep him unless a team gives up something like a second or more.

Wentz is unquestionably their guy going forward, as long as he gets cleared by the doctors.  Now is exactly the right time to put Foles up on the trading block because his value will NEVER be higher.  You will always have the memories of the last several games Foles played for you, but now he can be the gift that keeps on giving.  Get a first round pick or more for him this offseason.

11 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Trade him when they get a crazy offer, obviously. 

Might not come until after Cousins signs somewhere, but it’ll happen. Wouldn’t surprise me if a team loves him enough to get him even before FA.

If I’m Philly, I keep him unless a team gives up something like a second or more.

Correct assessment - likely every NFL team will realize what a great job Pederson did here, though - and much like Doug Williams, Jeff Hostetler, Foles will earn his place in SB lore, and guarantee himself a long career as the top relief pitcher in the game. 

But remember that even when Wentz returns, ACL repairs take 18 months to regain full explosion.   And he won't be 12 months until December 2018.

Forget the Q on whether Wentz plays Week 1 - he may not, but even if he does, the risk is actually far greater of any injury in 2018 than it was heading into 2017, back when Foles was signed.   Foles just proved why having a decent backup matters.    No reason for PHI to even consider anything but keeping him...unless a team drastically overpays.   Which, given the # teams who need a QB who have an innovator like Pederson at the helm...well, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Keep both and do the Montana/Young thing. Trade whoever you think is lesser by the deadline next year. That's the smart play. Wentz wouldn't be the first young QB to have a great freshman or sophmore year and come back to Earth. Wouldn't be the first player to come back from an injury not the same player either. Not saying that will happen. But you have insurance now. 

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Correct assessment - likely every NFL team will realize what a great job Pederson did here, though - and much like Doug Williams, Jeff Hostetler, Foles will earn his place in SB lore, and guarantee himself a long career as the top relief pitcher in the game. 

But remember that even when Wentz returns, ACL repairs take 18 months to regain full explosion.   And he won't be 12 months until December 2018.

Forget the Q on whether Wentz plays Week 1 - he may not, but even if he does, the risk is actually far greater of any injury in 2018 than it was heading into 2017, back when Foles was signed.   Foles just proved why having a decent backup matters.    No reason for PHI to even consider anything but keeping him...unless a team drastically overpays.   Which, given the # teams who need a QB who have an innovator like Pederson at the helm...well, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I agree.  If keeping Foles allows PHI to let Wentz fully heal and not rush back while notching some wins to help toward getting a #1 or 2 seed in 2018 is worth it.  His cap hit is very small for 2018.  

Devil's Advocate here... Nick Foles is young by today's NFL standards as a QB and could get them 6 years.  Foles would get, best case scenario, a first round pick.  A mid-round first round pick.  He'd probably get something more like a second or third round pick.  But what if the Eagles kept him and traded Wentz?  Wentz could potentially land the first overall and fourth overall picks and more.  The team just won a Super Bowl with Foles and they have zero major players hitting free agency.  Is it completely and entirely out of consideration for Roseman to trade Wentz and get a mega haul the likes of which the NFL hasn't seen since Herschel Walker was traded and built the Cowboys dynasty? 

28 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

wentz had no problem winning games before he went down. Us Eagles fans said all along to have faith in Foles.. Non Eagles fans didnt' believe us and laughed.... whos laughing now?

good to laugh I suppose, I forget that feeling.  Can the Eagles keep both QB's ?

I agree. Unless its an amazing offer, I keep him. You might still get a 3rd round comp for him and QB insurance is probably more valuable than any pick (which you may or may not hit on). Unless you think Sudfeld can pull of what Foles did. I mean, yes if Cleveland offers number 4, then sure, make the deal and sign another backup but I'd rather keep my investment in Foles rather than rush back Wentz to a fanbase who will be expecting a repeat.

Archived