Malcolm Butler situation

GSUeagles14

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

He graded at 79 according to PFF.  That's average in the NFL.  You can't say he sucks when he graded out as average unless you don't know the meaning of the word average.  He was an average CB, he was benched for the Super Bowl, he was, according to him, healthy, and they didn't play him.  According to Butler, "They gave up" on him.  You can't use that explanation.  It's proven false.  Something else happened.

PFF is ran by a bunch of pretentious talking heads.

Just now, Heimdallr said:

No offense to PFF but I'll trust Bill Belichick's judgement over their grades

Yeah, if that's the reason.  I don't think it was why he got benched.  It's one thing to say it was a "best shot at winning."  It's another thing to mean it. 

Just now, everlong said:

PFF is ran by a bunch of pretentious talking heads.

Are you, yes or no, better than PFF?

Yes or no.  Are you better than PFF? 

I'm not saying they're the end all be all, but let's not act like 99% of people on this entire site could do better.  That includes you and me. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yeah, if that's the reason.  I don't think it was why he got benched.  It's one thing to say it was a "best shot at winning."  It's another thing to mean it. 

Again keep in mind Butler had to get treated for flu like symptons. Very likely he wasn't playing at the level Belichick wanted them too.

2 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

No offense to PFF but I'll trust Bill Belichick's judgement over their grades

Agreed. Except the no offense part.

I don't know this to be true, but I will bet anybody 5 internets that no corner in the ENTIRE nfl has given up as many yards over the last 3 years as Butler has. 

Just now, lancerman said:

Again keep in mind Butler had to get treated for flu like symptons. Very likely he wasn't playing at the level Belichick wanted them too.

That's another possible explanation, but is it the right one?  I just can't believe that's the case based on Butler's explanation.  If it was that, you think he'd say something like, "I was sick, but I feel like I could have played..."

11 minutes ago, everlong said:

People don't realize that Butler sucks now and lives off of that one interception.

If the answer was a simple, he sucks, then he shouldn't have seen an almost 100% snap count during the regular season and the first two playoff games.

I agree about PFF. People crap on them for being an imperfect system as if their own eyes watching the game in real-time are more accurate.

Are Patriots fans saying Malcolm Butler isn't even average? If you are, you haven't watched other NFL teams play this year. It's strange they took out an average NFL CB and gave minutes to Johnson Bademosi. There is something going on here. Butler may very well not be great, but he's not bad enough to ride the pine while the Eagles put on an aerial show out there.

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

That's another possible explanation, but is it the right one?  I just can't believe that's the case based on Butler's explanation.  If it was that, you think he'd say something like, "I was sick, but I feel like I could have played..."

Idk it would make sense to me. Butler got sick, tried to come back, Belichick determines he isn't playing to a level good enough to start, Butler disagrees and feels like they gave up on him. 

Otherwise I can't think of anything else that isn't zany

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

I agree about PFF. People crap on them for being an imperfect system as if their own eyes watching the game in real-time are more accurate.

Are Patriots fans saying Malcolm Butler isn't even average? If you are, you haven't watched other NFL teams play this year. It's strange they took out an average NFL CB and gave minutes to Johnson Bademosi. There is something going on here. Butler may very well not be great, but he's not bad enough to ride the pine while the Eagles put on an aerial show out there.

So much this

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

Put it this way, I think Butler benefits a lot from exceptional coaching harnessing his raw talent and making sure he is always in the right place at the right time. I don't think he has the instincts of other top corners to just know and do what he is supposed to. Even on the pick in the Super Bowl, Browner had to basically tell him the play based off the formation. 

PFF is good, but they aren't in practice everyday.

Archived