Post Superb Owl Mock

Joe

Posting this for crates and giggles. Not going to pontificate on how I feel FA will go down, nor will I pontificate as to how trades will go down as a GM switch makes any previous trend null and void...

1. Vita Vea, NT, Washington: I hate to say it, but Kenny Clark has been rather underwhelming and doesn't have the girth that Vea brings to the position. We need a guy in the middle that creates piles and Kenny Clark isn't that guy. Conversely, Clark and Vea could easily create an incredibly formidable front for opposing offenses. Personally, I'd trade down a few spots for Vea to gain another midround pick or two.

2. Arden Key, EDGE, LSU: Gut feeling is that this guy takes a tumble for an underwhelming 2017 season and a questionable combine. He's often too upright in action and can't fight through OL. He's shown flashes of greatness on tape, but he's wildly inconsistent. Coaching could help here, but he's gotta improve his instincts. I can't see how he's a top-25 player in this draft. Too much of a tweener at 231 lbs. What happens when he puts on the requisite weight?

3. Lorenzo Carter, EDGE, Georgia: Carter's got great instincts, reaction time, and he can fight through blocks. Has a great nose for the ball.

3(comp). Cedrick Wilson, WR, Boise St.: Excellent length, but he has to fill out a bit, and he can catch balls in traffic like nobody's business. Owns DB's in one-on-one situations.

4. Adam Breneman, TE, UMass: In a year in which the TE class is a dumpster fire, Breneman emerges as a complete TE. Granted, he'll need some adjustment time, but he's got the size you look for in a blocking TE, but the soft hands and precision you look for in a route-runner at the position. Not buying into Goedert and think someone will reach on Gesicki.

5. Tyrell Crosby, LT, Oregon: Plays a bit upright, but is murder in the run game and anchors VERY well in the pass game. Methinks he could be another Pac-12 mid-round steal...

5(comp). Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond: Excellent showing at the Senior Bowl. Played through a bad start to that game. Found ways to succeed on the field despite a rough start. Mentally tough.

5(comp). Trenton Thompson, DL, Georgia: Thompson requires a constant double team. Could be a bit more urgent, but technical difficulties could be coached. Lined up everywhere in a 4 man front. create Constantly draws multiple OL.

6. Allen Lazard, WR, Iowa State: played for a traditionally losing program and was still productive. Stepped up BIG time in both the bowl game and in tougher match-ups constantly this past season. Diamond in the rough...

7.Nathan Bazata, Interior DL, Iowa: disruptive force in the middle that could 1 gap if necessary. Strong in the run game, can collapse the pocket and create piles in the passing game.

Notable UDFA: Jack Cichy, ILB, Wisconsin(draftable); DeMarcus Christmas, DL, FSU; Joel Lanning, ILB/FB, Iowa St; Braxton Berrios, WR/RS, Miami(FL); Larry Allen Jr., OL, Harvard.

Have at it boys...

Lol.  Kenny Clark has been underwhelming.  Lolololololololololol

He just rated out at an 87 on PFF.  That's just shy of elite level.  Say what you will about PFF, but PFF is better than you, and anybody who actually watched could see how well Kenny Clark played last year.

He also just had 4.5 sacks.  If that's underwhelming, more of our defensive players have to underwhelm. 

9 hours ago, Joe said:

1. Vita Vea, NT, Washington: I hate to say it, but Kenny Clark has been rather underwhelming and doesn't have the girth that Vea brings to the position. We need a guy in the middle that creates piles and Kenny Clark isn't that guy. Conversely, Clark and Vea could easily create an incredibly formidable front for opposing offenses. Personally, I'd trade down a few spots for Vea to gain another midround pick or two.

Clark Underwhelming? What games have you been watching? one of the few bright spots on defense in 2017.

5 minutes ago, squire12 said:
35 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You lost me at Kenny Clark being underwhelming.  Not sure what you're expecting if he's been underwhelming.

Kenny Clark is not Aaron Donald.....thus he is underwhelming

Sharpening my pitchfork!!!

26 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:
31 minutes ago, squire12 said:
1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

You lost me at Kenny Clark being underwhelming.  Not sure what you're expecting if he's been underwhelming.

Kenny Clark is not Aaron Donald.....thus he is underwhelming

Sharpening my pitchfork!!!

Is that better

10 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Lol.  Kenny Clark has been underwhelming.  Lolololololololololol

He just rated out at an 87 on PFF.  That's just shy of elite level.  Say what you will about PFF, but PFF is better than you, and anybody who actually watched could see how well Kenny Clark played last year.

He also just had 4.5 sacks.  If that's underwhelming, more of our defensive players have to underwhelm. 

Agreed about Clark. I stopped reading at that point, because as far as I could see it was just something made up, to justify Vea as the first pick.

9 hours ago, jleisher said:

I would have to agree with everyone about your Clark statement.  I respect your thought, but don't agree.  I like the pick of Vea.  I think with Vea/Clark/Daniels it would free up the LB'ers.  Thanks for the mock.  

Hmm, the last time I checked, we were 17th against the run and couldn't stop the run for most of the season. That starts up front. Clark can't create the piles necessary to stop the run in our front. We drafted him to be both a run stopper and a pass rusher. He can get the push in the pass rush, but he struggles against the run. I'm not looking for Aaron Donald, but we need a guy who is better in the run. PFF can get things wrong too, it's not a perfect system.

Take off the homer glasses...

Archived