Allen Hurns - keep or let go?

pwny

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

And that's without trying to find money to re-sign Colvin (though he looks likely to be a cap casualty already), or a guy like Omameh who was mostly decent and would be awfully nice to bring back as solid depth at least.

That Bortles money really changes the cap picture for this team, for the worse.

I don't see how Bortles situation hinders the Jags on a 1 yr deal.. If Blake was a stud he was going to be paid regardless at a larger clip and at more yrs so whats the difference?

4 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

I don't see how Bortles situation hinders the Jags on a 1 yr deal.. If Blake was a stud he was going to be paid regardless at a larger clip and at more yrs so whats the difference?

If he was to get a long term deal, it’s almost a complete certainty that he’d get a large signing bonus and then his year one cap hit would sit around 13-15M, and then ramp up in later years where we aren’t quite so tight against the cap.

18 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Other than crawling off the field what did Hurns really do last year? I think fans get to emotionally invested in players and what they've done. I'm ok with losing Hurns next year. 

If he can stay healthy, last year he showed that he's still at worst an ~700 yards pace guy with some versatility, and familiarity with the system here and rapport with Bortles.  And potential to be more.

18 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

I don't see how Bortles situation does anything but hinder things tbh.  It's $19M bucks next year, on a guy who we're not even sure is actually any good at QB.  That undeniably puts a huge dent in your cap structure.  That's money that you could casually overspend on "weapons" to help flatter your lackluster QB if they were making appropriate money...but now cannot, because Bortles is getting it all.  It's a huge chunk of change that makes everything else significantly tighter.

Talking about what would happen "if Blake was a stud" is totally irrelevant, because that's not what he's proved.  Yet one way or another, he's going to be paid next year as though he has proven it.  There's really no way around that.  So it's going to impact 2018 season's cap situation as though he is a stud...even if he's not, and needs a bit of an overspend on "weapons" to make him look serviceable.

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

If he can stay healthy, last year he showed that he's still at worst an ~700 yards pace guy with some versatility, and familiarity with the system here and rapport with Bortles.  And potential to be more.

I don't see how Bortles situation does anything but hinder things tbh.  It's $19M bucks next year, on a guy who we're not even sure is actually any good at QB.  That undeniably puts a huge dent in your cap structure.  That's money that you could casually overspend on "weapons" to help flatter your lackluster QB if they were making appropriate money...but now cannot, because Bortles is getting it all.  It's a huge chunk of change that makes everything else significantly tighter.

Talking about what would happen "if Blake was a stud" is totally irrelevant, because that's not what he's proved.  Yet one way or another, he's going to be paid next year as though he has proven it.  There's really no way around that.  So it's going to impact 2018 season's cap situation as though he is a stud...even if he's not, and needs a bit of an overspend on "weapons" to make him look serviceable.

My point exactly he is going to get it regardless because that what the market value is if Glennon made 18 million and rode the bench majority of the year regardless if he was the projected starter or not. Glennon was still given 18 coming from a back up role to being a starter.. what do you think Blakes worth if he just QB'd a team to a title game? 

19 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

My point exactly he is going to get it regardless because that what the market value is if Glennon made 18 million and rode the bench majority of the year regardless if he was the projected starter or not. Glennon was still given 18 coming from a back up role to being a starter.. what do you think Blakes worth if he just QB'd a team to a title game? 

I don't see how that matters.  The reality is, we're going to be spending a ton more on our QB, which plays very much into how much you can afford to spend on WRs and "weapons" for them.  And it's tougher when it's a guy like Bortles who probably needs a ton of great weapons if he's going to look decent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2018 at 3:11 AM, Tugboat said:

I don't see how that matters.  The reality is, we're going to be spending a ton more on our QB, which plays very much into how much you can afford to spend on WRs and "weapons" for them.  And it's tougher when it's a guy like Bortles who probably needs a ton of great weapons if he's going to look decent.

Define a ton of great weapons. Did he have that this season? He has no threat at TE, rookie WRs that are cheap for now and then 2 guys who are definitely not #1s. I wouldn’t say he has these great weapons that made him look good

15 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Define a ton of great weapons. Did he have that this season? He has no threat at TE, rookie WRs that are cheap for now and then 2 guys who are definitely not #1s. I wouldn’t say he has these great weapons that made him look good

I don't think Blake got enough credit for what he did with what he had around him.. Give credit where credit is due people around the league said negative things about Bortles but don't take into account that he played with Lee who is wildly inconsistent Hurns who stayed dinged up.. Cole who was undrafted free agent rookie and a 4th round rookie that missed the first 9 games of the season.. and we don't need to address TE.

21 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I'm talking about the sort of investment in weapons and support for Bortles to "take another step".  He didn't necessarily have the greatest weapons this year, but what he did this year also wasn't good enough, and i have zero confidence it will be good enough to make any noise next season.  There were plenty of stretches where he was utterly incompetent (albeit, with lackluster/inexperienced receiving threats and a musical chairs OLine at times).  We need more from him for next season, to get where we want to go.  That means more weapons, a better line, etc.  That's expensive, when you're paying a guy $19M.

I mean, it depends on if you think we're going to get "Good Bortles" every game this year.  I'd gladly pay "Good Bortles" that and extra weapons isn't really an issue.  But i'm exceptionally wary of that premise.  He's far too inconsistent for me to believe that's going to be likely.  So it comes back to "adding more weapons around him", and the money that costs (including a major ARob raise).

17 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

I don't think Blake got enough credit for what he did with what he had around him.. Give credit where credit is due people around the league said negative things about Bortles but don't take into account that he played with Lee who is wildly inconsistent Hurns who stayed dinged up.. Cole who was undrafted free agent rookie and a 4th round rookie that missed the first 9 games of the season.. and we don't need to address TE.

You think we’re good at TE? We could easily upgrade the spot

• 1 month later...

Archived