Free agent outside linebackers.

Steel Worker

I have been looking at some of the 3-4 Outside linebackers who will be available for the bears in this upcoming free agency period. Here is a list of names. Trent Murphy had 9 sacks one year with the redskins. Tore his back last year and should be good to go by August. Jeremiah attachou who had 6 sacks when chargers ran 3-4. Now he is a defensive end and a change back to outside linebacker in fangio' s system might rejuvenate his career he is 26.  Dion Jordan is 27, and came on strong for the Seahawks in their last 5 games. I believe he had 4 sacks. He is 27.  Aaron lynch is 34, and playing in a 4-3 scheme with the 49ers. He is 24 and could rejuvenate his career being back with big fangio. As windy said in another dee Ford may be a cap casualty with the chiefs and having had 10 sacks in a season looks intriguing. Don't know the status of aldon Smith but I doubt bears are interested after the Ray McDonald fiasco.  I would prefer signing ford and Murphy, and taking Lorenzo Carter from Georgia I the second round of the 2018 NFL draft.

Lynch is the obvious one for me...played very well for Fangio in the past with the 49ers and I would be happy to add him but for me we need a real stud early in this draft at OLB...1st or 2nd round and let Fangio turn him into a Aldon Smith (without the off-field) type of pass rusher who would also help free up Floyd and if you have two of those speed guys coming off the edge look out...

No position we draft will have a bigger impact on this D than an OLB or ILB.

Mike, walterfootball.com has Carter ranked going between 2nd and 4th rounds respectively. Unless pace wants to jump back up to into the 3rd round, to get him, which I think he covers his 2 4th rounders, I have no problem taking Carter in the 2nd round.  

13 minutes ago, Steel Worker said:

Mike, walterfootball.com has Carter ranked going between 2nd and 4th rounds respectively. Unless pace wants to jump back up to into the 3rd round, to get him, which I think he covers his 2 4th rounders, I have no problem taking Carter in the 2nd round.  

For me he is a late 3rd-4th rounder.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Marquis Flowers if I am willing to spend a little more.

Lynch on a cheap deal.

Trent Murphy if I want to spend a little and I am cool with the medicals.

Other than that not a ton of interest in the free agent class.

Yeah I’m not a big fan of any of the FA OLB either. I think it’s a bunch of depth guys that if I’m being honest I don’t like any better than bringing Houston back. He did a good job getting to the QB in his return. It’s a top 2 round draft need for me. There are guys there with big potential even if there’s not a blue chip guy beyond Chubb. 

Read earlier that if we go Edmunds that his coverage ability would open Floyd up to being much more of a full time pass rusher. I love the idea, and if we can get an ILB who excels in coverage in FA and then take one of the OLB in round 1/2 then even better. I’ve been and remain a huge fan of Harold Landry. He missed the Senior Bowl rehabbing an injury he had nagging much of this year but had 16.5 sacks and 22 TFL in 2016 and has elite bend off the edge. He and Floyd off the edge with DT and a rangy 2nd ILB behind our DL and our front 7 could be insanely productive now and for a while. 

I think the Bears need 3 OLBs who can play not counting the rookie.

Floyd

Houston

Lynch

Plus a highly drafted rookie and maybe Irving/day 3 Pick.

That would make the most sense.

I personally like Flowers because he can play off the ball and cover as well.

Archived