Free agent outside linebackers.

Steel Worker

I personally like MM90 mock of getting Edmunds in the 1st and an OLB in the second Sam Hubbard or Harold Landry should be there in the second. 

Flyod

DT59

Edmunds

Sam Hubbard/Harold Landry

depth: C Jones, Nick K, Lynch (FA), OLD Willie 

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

I go after Trent Murphy. Sure he's coming off a torn ACL/MCL, which is unfortunate, but it happened early in the pre-season last year.

Barkevious Mingo is out there as well, but meh.

You think Trent murphy will just be the new Parrell McFee

mingo = meh you hit the nail on the head

Just now, Rogerthat said:

You think Trent murphy will just be the new Parrell McFee

mingo = meh you hit the nail on the head

lol I think he'll be a healthier version.

Long arms, huge hands, nice bend... we could do a lot worse. Still only 27.

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Yeah I’m not a big fan of any of the FA OLB either. I think it’s a bunch of depth guys that if I’m being honest I don’t like any better than bringing Houston back. He did a good job getting to the QB in his return. It’s a top 2 round draft need for me. There are guys there with big potential even if there’s not a blue chip guy beyond Chubb. 

Read earlier that if we go Edmunds that his coverage ability would open Floyd up to being much more of a full time pass rusher. I love the idea, and if we can get an ILB who excels in coverage in FA and then take one of the OLB in round 1/2 then even better. I’ve been and remain a huge fan of Harold Landry. He missed the Senior Bowl rehabbing an injury he had nagging much of this year but had 16.5 sacks and 22 TFL in 2016 and has elite bend off the edge. He and Floyd off the edge with DT and a rangy 2nd ILB behind our DL and our front 7 could be insanely productive now and for a while. 

I think bringing Houston back is a good idea for cheap veteran depth because it doesn't look like Willie Young will be back as he is getting up there in age (33) and McPhee is likely a cap casualty as well with his injury history and being set to count $7 million towards the cap in 2018.

As I mentioned before, Aaron Lynch would be a solid veteran depth signing due to his experience with the defense and the fact that he is still fairly young (25).  I still think he has potential.  Other than that you have a young developmental guy in Isaiah Irving so there is a need to add more talent through the draft.

Chubb is all but guaranteed not to be available when we pick because either the Colts or Bucs will grab him before Bears get a chance to.  That leaves guys like Edmunds, Davenport and Okoronkwo in the 1st.  The more I research Tremaine Edmunds the more I like about him due to his all around athleticism, versatility and huge potential.

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

The more I research Tremaine Edmunds the more I like about him due to his all around athleticism, versatility and huge potential.

NFL.com has their combine participant list out and on their preliminary scouting report for Edmunds they list his player comp as Brian Urlacher because of the super unique physical gifts at his size. If he could be the next Willis/Bowman for Fangio... 

9 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

NFL.com has their combine participant list out and on their preliminary scouting report for Edmunds they list his player comp as Brian Urlacher because of the super unique physical gifts at his size. If he could be the next Willis/Bowman for Fangio... 

I'd honestly play him inside next to Trevathan in base downs and rush him off the edge in sub packages.

22 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don't like the Urlacher Comp.  Edmunds can rush the passer in ways Urlacher was never asked to do.  I think he is more a Clay Matthews +.  He can play ILB and OLB given the situation. Cover and Rush.  Urlacher was just asked to be a coverage LB and never rush the passer. 

42 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

It's the closest comparison I can think of for Edmunds. Both absolutely excel in lateral quickness and being able to move sideline to sideline. Both play instinctually and read plays at the line of scrimmage. Both are 6'5" 260lbs, both play extremely physical when engaging OLmen. The fact that he's only 19 years old baffles me.... Even with a 5th year option the guy will be 24 by the end of his rookie contract. 

SAM- Leonard Floyd

MIKE- Tremaine Edmunds

JACK- Danny Trevathan

WILL- Aaron Lynch 

That is a well above average LB group.

27 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

I don't like the Urlacher Comp.  Edmunds can rush the passer in ways Urlacher was never asked to do.  I think he is more a Clay Matthews +.  He can play ILB and OLB given the situation. Cover and Rush.  Urlacher was just asked to be a coverage LB and never rush the passer. 

I think it’s more a lofty comp than a bad one skill set wise. Lach had 14 sacks in the 2 years before Lovie’s arrival put him consistently in the deep middle of the field, and he started out at OLB before moving inside when Barry Minter (I believe) got hurt. 

I see a lot of mentioning of Lynch, so as a 49er fan, I'll just warn you - he has major work ethic / conditioning issues and already has one ped suspension. Two years ago, he came in 30 pounds overweight, last year he was supposedly 20 pounds overweight. As a rookie, he was 250 and at one point, got up to 300, and then slimmed down to the 270's- 280s. Very inconsistent, and suffers from some nagging injuries (likely the result of the poor conditioning). He was a healthy inactive several times this year and we consistently played guys we plucked off the waiver wire (Marsh) rather than put Lynch on the active roster. The staff really did not love him at all. A lot of the things that plagued him in college are still present. I think you could certainly get him on a buy low deal given his struggles the last 3 years or so, but he's not a top notch edge guy (and at 280 or whatever, he's probably not going to be an ideal fit as a 3-4 olb, but I suppose that depends on what type of shape he is in). At his peak condition, I think his cap is a 7-8 sack guy and that's hoping he actually gets it all together. 

I wouldn't expect him to come in and fix anything - he's a good buy low / high ceiling guy to some degree, but I think if you sign him, you have to sign someone else or draft someone else as well. 

Archived