Free agent outside linebackers.

Steel Worker

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

I see a lot of mentioning of Lynch, so as a 49er fan, I'll just warn you - he has major work ethic / conditioning issues and already has one ped suspension. Two years ago, he came in 30 pounds overweight, last year he was supposedly 20 pounds overweight. As a rookie, he was 250 and at one point, got up to 300, and then slimmed down to the 270's- 280s. Very inconsistent, and suffers from some nagging injuries (likely the result of the poor conditioning). He was a healthy inactive several times this year and we consistently played guys we plucked off the waiver wire (Marsh) rather than put Lynch on the active roster. The staff really did not love him at all. A lot of the things that plagued him in college are still present. I think you could certainly get him on a buy low deal given his struggles the last 3 years or so, but he's not a top notch edge guy (and at 280 or whatever, he's probably not going to be an ideal fit as a 3-4 olb, but I suppose that depends on what type of shape he is in). At his peak condition, I think his cap is a 7-8 sack guy and that's hoping he actually gets it all together. 

I wouldn't expect him to come in and fix anything - he's a good buy low / high ceiling guy to some degree, but I think if you sign him, you have to sign someone else or draft someone else as well. 

Fangio has history with him and one of his best seasons was his rookie season under Vic Fangio.

I would think if Vic vouches for the kid, we could bring him in on a pretty cheap and team-friendly deal. Dude's only 24 to boot.

2 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

After McDonald, I don't think Fangio can vouch for anyone even if he got an extension.  If this is true this is the type of guy Pace runs from

No one doubted McDonald could play...it was the off-field that was the issue...if Fangio thinks Lynch can play you try and sign him as a rotational piece.

3 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

After McDonald, I don't think Fangio can vouch for anyone even if he got an extension.  If this is true this is the type of guy Pace runs from

Yeah, I counted McDonald as a major bad mark for Fangio too. Sometimes, a coach's loyalty to a player can cloud his judgement.

Every case is different, but when you bring in a bad character that fails it can out weight 2-4 successful retreads depending on how big the fails or wins were per the players.

Starting off with a bad one is about the worst outcome.

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

No one doubted McDonald could play...it was the off-field that was the issue...if Fangio thinks Lynch can play you try and sign him as a rotational piece.

Yeah... the McDonald thing was 3 years ago. Fangio would seemingly have done a lot to rebuild that rapport. 

3 hours ago, GBHalas said:

Pace only signs people who shows football is important to them.  It doesn't sound like it is, so they rather spend their time and money on someone who wants to play football not someone with the ability to play football

If they lack the ability to play football then they don't need to be signed, regardless of how much they want to play. McClellin had the want, but not the ability. I'll pass on them. lol

Seriously though, he would be on such a small deal Christian Jones likely would top. Lynch has a higher ceiling, and if he puts in crap effort he gets tossed away. He isn't getting any notable guarantees.

Jerry Attaochu is showing up on all these "most underrated FA" lists, and he has potential for sure,  but the problem is, he is always hurt. 

He's only played in 12 total games over the past 2 seasons.

If you want to take a flier on him and he comes cheap, go for it, but you can't count on him for anything.  Personally, I'm tired of players who are always hurt.

Archived