Call Your Shot: 5 Browns & 5 General Draft Day Predictions

Mind Character

Browns Predictions:

1. We will select Baker Mayfield number 1 (...and I will be sick to my stomach)

2. If Saquon is on the board at 4, we will pass on him.

3. We will select a CB in the 1st round (either via trade up from the 2nd round or otherwise)

4. The Browns will trade back into round 1 to select either Mike McGlinchey or Billy Price,

5. John Dorsey will target Mark Walton or Derrius Guice as a primary back (or both).

Bonus:

• I actually think we end up selecting 4 times in the first round.
  • We traded a 4th round pick (108th) to move from 33rd to 29 to select David Njoku last year.
  • I think we pull off that trade twice...giving up two, 4th rounders (that we have this year) to give us four, 1st rounders in total.

-----------------------------------

General Draft Predictions:

1. Josh Allen will fall to the bottom of the 1st round.

2. Saquon Barkely will fall to at least pick 12.

3. Bradley Chubb will fall past pick 8

4. No WRs go in the 1st round.

5, Lamar Jackson still goes top 12.

35 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

1. We select Darnold after an impressive combine and pro day. 

2. We sign two DB's one to a mega contract

3. We select a bridge QB and and he is only average at best

4. We don't pick at 4

5. We don't acquire a 2019 first. 

These are interesting.

The idea of not selecting at 4 but not acquiring a 2019 first is a real fascinating one whereby we likely move back a few spots for less than a 1st rounder in 2019...unless you were intimating that we trade up from 4 which wasn't my interpretation of your prediciton....

1. I will be certain I could have done better.

2. I will eventually talk myself into every pick unless we draft Cam Erving again somehow.

3. Holy hell I just had to look up when the Chiefs traded for Cam Erving to see if that was confirmation of Dorsey’s retardation.

4. He didn’t, thank Christ.

5. We take Darnold. I spend the rest of my night like so;

e3e.gif

Not sure about the rest of the league yet.

7 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

These are interesting.

The idea of not selecting at 4 but not acquiring a 2019 first is a real fascinating one whereby we likely move back a few spots for less than a 1st rounder in 2019...unless you were intimating that we trade up from 4 which wasn't my interpretation of your prediciton....

I think we move back in the 1st and then also move from the 2nd into the 1st.

If this is a bad class outside of QB and RB then I think we will want to shuffle forward more than back. 

I think that 3 QB's go in the top 4. At least. I think Darnold, Baker and rosen are locks or at least the top 6. 

34 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think we move back in the 1st and then also move from the 2nd into the 1st.

If this is a bad class outside of QB and RB then I think we will want to shuffle forward more than back. 

I think that 3 QB's go in the top 4. At least. I think Darnold, Baker and rosen are locks or at least the top 6. 

I actually think we end up selecting 4 times in the first round.

We traded a 4th round pick (108th) to move from 33rd to 29 to select David Njoku.

I think we pull off that trade twice...giving up two, 4th rounders (that we have this year) to give us four, 1st rounders in total.

2 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Browns Predictions:

1. We will select Baker Mayfield number 1 (...and I will be sick to my stomach)

1. We will select Sam Darnold.

2. If Saquon is on the board at 4, we will pass on him.

2. And every other talent of a lesser God available at 4. We will trade this pick to ARIZ for Patrick Peterson, their R1 (#15, I think) and a 2019 2nd round pick

3. We will select a CB in the 1st round (either via trade up from the 2nd round or otherwise)

3. After getting Peterson we will fortify the position by using the ARIZ pick on a CB.

4. The Browns will trade back into round 1 to select either Mike McGlinchey or Billy Price,

4. The Browns will trade up to get Price. McGlinchey will be gone higher.

5. John Dorsey will target Mark Walton or Derrius Guice as a primary back (or both).

5. We will trade our first 2nd round pick for a 2019 1st round pick and a #3 this year.

23 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I actually think we end up selecting 4 times in the first round.

We traded a 4th round pick (108th) to move from 33rd to 29 to select David Njoku.

I think we pull off that trade twice...giving up two, 4th rounders (that we have this year) to give us four, 1st rounders in total.

I think the only issue with that strategy is the contracts will start adding up to quite a lot in 2023. 

IMO teams have too much power over players in the first contract of their careers, especially non 1st rounders. 
If they preform at a pro bowl level early the team has them on a dirt cheap contract for a long time. By the time they get to market or in a position to renegotiate then they may have there best year far behind them,. 

A classic exampe is alfred morris 6th round pick, all pro never gets a good contract. 

9 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think the only issue with that strategy is the contracts will start adding up to quite a lot in 2023. 

IMO teams have too much power over players in the first contract of their careers, especially non 1st rounders. 
If they preform at a pro bowl level early the team has them on a dirt cheap contract for a long time. By the time they get to market or in a position to renegotiate then they may have there best year far behind them,. 

A classic exampe is alfred morris 6th round pick, all pro never gets a good contract. 

I hear you on the Alfred Morris thing and how lower round picks get screwed over, but actually the 1st round picks due to the CBA are held back from free agency and controlled by the teams more so than even 2nd round picks.

Given the current CBA, the 5th year team option for 1st round picks is actually the reason why teams want to trade into the 1st round when they are in the top of the 2nd...

Under the CBA, the team can option the player for a 5th year; then they have the option to Franchise Tag that player in the 6th year amounting to 5 years of team control of their contract at a price-controlled number w/ the option to tag them and hold onto them for a total of 6 years.

For second round picks, the team has no 5th year option, only has control for 4 years at best with the option to tag them the final year if necessary giving them 5 total years of control of the contract/player.

I wouldn't worry to much about 2023 or if the contracts start to add up by then as the 5 year option on 1st rounders would mean the issues with the cap and major decisions would all come to a head in 2024...by then we'll know if we have a core of impact star players and can move accordingly or let certain players go and receive a compensatory pick the following year.

1st round contracts via the CBA are the way to go especially if we're at the top of the 2nd round.

1- Sign Kurt Cousins, Carlos Hyde, Terrel Pryor, top CB. 

2- We pick 3. times in 1st round. 

3- Trade #1 to Jets for #6, #37, 2019 1st, 4th, 2020 2nd & 2021 2nd. Trade # 4.to Arizona for #15,#47, 2019 1st, 4th, 2020 3rd, trade # 64, #65, Arizona 2019 1st to Atlanta for # 26, we pick #6, # 15 & #26, #33,35,#37 # 47. 

4- With 1st 7 picks in no order we pick at least 1 of RB,WR,CB,S,OL,DL. 

5- We pick a QB in rd 4. 

elfman

21 minutes ago, elfman1955 said:

1- Sign Kurt Cousins, Carlos Hyde, Terrel Pryor, top CB. 

2- We pick 3. times in 1st round. 

3- Trade #1 to Jets for #6, #37, 2019 1st, 4th, 2020 2nd & 2021 2nd. Trade # 4.to Arizona for #15,#47, 2019 1st, 4th, 2020 3rd, trade # 64, #65, Arizona 2019 1st to Atlanta for # 26, we pick #6, # 15 & #26, #33,35,#37 # 47. 

4- With 1st 7 picks in no order we pick at least 1 of RB,WR,CB,S,OL,DL. 

5- We pick a QB in rd 4. 

elfman

Could see Sashi pulling off something like this but Dorsey?

I am pretty sure that we take Darnold at #1 overall.

We will trade the #4 pick to a team drafting in the top 10, that wants a QB. If we do not trade the pick, we take Barkley to carry the team's offense till Darnold is ready to start around game 7.

I pray we draft offense, offense and more offense! Build one side of the team and worry about defense in the 2019 draft.

I suspect we will draft 2 WR's and 2 RB's to cover ourselves. We also will draft a couple of OLmen.

We sign a rather mediocre starter for our first 7 games, like chicago did with Glennon.

I hear you on the Alfred Morris thing and how lower round picks get screwed over, but actually the 1st round picks due to the CBA are held back from free agency and controlled by the teams more so than even 2nd round picks.

Given the current CBA, the 5th year team option for 1st round picks is actually the reason why teams want to trade into the 1st round when they are in the top of the 2nd...

Under the CBA, the team can option the player for a 5th year; then they have the option to Franchise Tag that player in the 6th year amounting to 5 years of team control of their contract at a price-controlled number w/ the option to tag them and hold onto them for a total of 6 years.

For second round picks, the team has no 5th year option, only has control for 4 years at best with the option to tag them the final year if necessary giving them 5 total years of control of the contract/player.

I wouldn't worry to much about 2023 or if the contracts start to add up by then as the 5 year option on 1st rounders would mean the issues with the cap and major decisions would all come to a head in 2024...by then we'll know if we have a core of impact star players and can move accordingly or let certain players go and receive a compensatory pick the following year.

1st round contracts via the CBA are the way to go especially if we're at the top of the 2nd round.

Solid reasoning, definitely, 1st round picks are way more valuable with that 5th year option than 2nd and other picks.

If players had their choice,they would probably prefer to be UDFA's and have full control of their contracts after year 1. Most players or at least their agents, hate being tied up for 5 years before getting a shot at FA.

3 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

I pray we draft offense, offense and more offense! Build one side of the team and worry about defense in the 2019 draft.

I prefer to finish the D off, first, although I cannot say I have a world of confidence in Williams' ability to scheme to his talent.

Talks a tough game but schemes to "not to lose".

Archived