Call Your Shot: 5 Browns & 5 General Draft Day Predictions

Mind Character

Just now, dawgdish said:

Doesn't matter that it's a 4 overall this year or in the top 5 next year if your strategy is to keep trading out of it for the Phil Taylors of the world instead of taking the Julio Jonses

Did we trade down from selecting Myles Garrett?

Often times left out of these conversations...

We traded down with our 2nd pick in the round

28 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Did we trade down from selecting Myles Garrett?

Often times left out of these conversations...

We traded down with our 2nd pick in the round

Yeah I agree and love how we are currently set up.  This is the second year in a row we have the ability to take the best player in the draft AND trade down and pick up possibly as high as a future first!

On 2/6/2018 at 10:43 AM, CBrownsman said:

I agree that we need to start cutting older players who aren't panning out but I find it curious that you mentioned Kindred as one of those.  I have been trying to figure out if he or Peppers will start at SS when we get a true FS.  I can't assume we would let him go with the year had, but I could certainly see some players drafted in the Brown era start to go because they aren't part of the new plan...

Older players?  What older players?  I think you're going to see talent-based cuts.  This was an 0-16 team we're talking about.  Let's start with the WRs.  I could see Coleman being gone.  Gordon will remain, if eligible.  Other than that, you could get rid of Higgins, Louis, and any other WR.  Nothing there to work with.  DBs?  I don't think we currently have any on the roster because I don't recall seeing any opposing WRs being covered last year.  A joke, but you get the idea....QBs?  If Hogan and Kessler are still on the roster, we are in deep trouble, without question.  And depending on how things go, I wouldn't be shocked if Kizer goes, too, via a draft day trade.  I think there will be many new faces on the roster.  I just hope those faces aren't the Earl Holmes 40 year old veteran type.  If so, see Hogan and Kessler comment.

6 minutes ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

Older players?  What older players?  I think you're going to see talent-based cuts.  This was an 0-16 team we're talking about.  Let's start with the WRs.  I could see Coleman being gone.  Gordon will remain, if eligible.  Other than that, you could get rid of Higgins, Louis, and any other WR.  Nothing there to work with.  DBs?  I don't think we currently have any on the roster because I don't recall seeing any opposing WRs being covered last year.  A joke, but you get the idea....QBs?  If Hogan and Kessler are still on the roster, we are in deep trouble, without question.  And depending on how things go, I wouldn't be shocked if Kizer goes, too, via a draft day trade.  I think there will be many new faces on the roster.  I just hope those faces aren't the Earl Holmes 40 year old veteran type.  If so, see Hogan and Kessler comment.

Lol, okay so my bad on the word older...

You have to work on a sliding scale when dealing with the youngest team in the NFL.

By older of course I mean Louis and Higgins and Kessler and Hogan :-P.

That's actually exactly who I was thinking, but for some reason the word older came out to describe 2 draft classes ago....

3 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

Lol, okay so my bad on the word older...

You have to work on a sliding scale when dealing with the youngest team in the NFL.

By older of course I mean Louis and Higgins and Kessler and Hogan :-P.

That's actually exactly who I was thinking, but for some reason the word older came out to describe 2 draft classes ago....

That's cool.  We're on the same page.  Now if we just get Dorsey, Wolf, Highsmith, Hue and McLoughlan......

5 minutes ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

That's cool.  We're on the same page.  Now if we just get Dorsey, Wolf, Highsmith, Hue and McLoughlan......

They are putting so many well respected people in this front office to make the decisions on this free agency period and this draft, though I have such high hopes, why do I still feel we are going to sign Terrell Pryor, way overspend on a CB like Malchom Butler, and draft Mayfield or Allen at #1, and way over draft a position we don't need at 4.  Can the front office over-power the terrible luck and awful drafting nature that is the browns....

3 hours ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Justin Smith, LaDainin Tomlinson, Richard Seymour, Marcus Stroud, Steve Hutchinson, Casey Hampton, Nate Clements, Drew Brees all taken after we took Gerard Warren at #3
--------------------------------------------------------
Ed Reed taken 8 picks after William Green
----------------------------------------------------
Willis McGahee, Nnamdi Asomugha, Charles Tillman, Anquon Boldin, Osi Umenyiora all taken after we took Jeff Faine at #21
--------------------------------------------------------
Ben Roethlisberger and Vince Wilfork taken after we TRADED UP and took Kellen Winslow at #6
----------------------------------------------------------
DeMarcus Ware, Aaron Rodgers, Logan Mankins taken well after we took Braylon Edwards #3
Antonio Cromartie, Tamba Hali, Johnathan Joseph, Nick Mangold all taken after we took Kamerion Wimbley #13
------------------------------------------------------------
Joe Staley, Paul Posluszny, Eric Weddle, LaMarr Woodley all taken after we took Brady Quinn #22
Clay Matthews taken after we took Alex Mack at #21
LeSean McCoy taken after we took Mohamed Massaquoi and David Veikune #50 and #52 picks aquired via trade down
Earl Thomas, Jason Pierre Paul, Demaryius Thomas and Dez Bryant all taken after we took Joe Haden #7
Cameron Jordan, Mark Ingram, Muhammad Wilkerson, Andy Dalton all taken after we traded down and TRADED UP with pick #70(Justin Houston) and took Phil Taylor #21
-----------------------------------------------------------
Luke Kuechly, Fletcher Cox and Chandler Jones all taken after we TRADED UP for Trent Richardson at #3

David DeCastro, Dont'a Hightower, Harrison Smith, Alshon Jeffery, Bobby Wagner all taken after we took Brandon Weeden #22 a pick aquired via trade down
Sheldon Richardson, Kyle Long, DeAndre Hopkins all taken after we took Barkevious Mingo at #6
Anthony Barr, Taylor Lewan, Oden Beckham Jr., Aaron Donald, Zack Martin, C.J. Mosley all taken after we took Justin Gilbert #8 again after TRADING UP from #10

Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr taken after we took Johnny Manziel #22 AGAIN AFTER A TRADE UP

Trading down has not hurt this team even in the slightest. The inability to property identify talent is what has crippled this team. Every year any team can find pro bowl impact players within the Top 50 picks. The are there to be had every single draft even as far back as the 50ish range. It is the teams that evaluate and identify the talent the best and make the right picks that flourish. It has nothing to do with where they are picking.

I couldnt agree more. Talent evaluation is the problem. Because of QBs the top talent will NOT be takin in the top 5 picks this year. 

Elfman

1 hour ago, CBrownsman said:

They are putting so many well respected people in this front office to make the decisions on this free agency period and this draft, though I have such high hopes, why do I still feel we are going to sign Terrell Pryor, way overspend on a CB like Malchom Butler, and draft Mayfield or Allen at #1, and way over draft a position we don't need at 4.  Can the front office over-power the terrible luck and awful drafting nature that is the browns....

Yes, there is that historical dread/expectation that we're going to blow it, due to our past history.  However, we have brought together the Justice League of Personnel, and if that were to happen again, we're in deep trouble (that's my "Phrase of the Day".)  I really think with this group of evaluators, we can't mess it up, and we just have to trust that they'll get it right.  Obviously, they may not select who we all are speculating we might (I just saw a note that McLoughlan likes Nelson at #4), or who we like, or want, but I trust that they will make the best choices to get the Browns back on track to winning.

I don't know if these qualify as predictions, but I still think there is a very high chance we will trade out of the #4 spot.  I would look at the Jets and Buffalo as possible trade partners.  I do not think we will draft Barkley, as Dorsey knows he can find, and has drafted, a quality running back in a later round.  I think if we do something unexpected at #1 (trade, draft something other than a QB), then we will draft Baker Mayfield.  I think there is a good chance we use one of our #2s to move back up into the 1st round for three picks.  I also think DeShone Kizer will be traded on draft day.

4 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

I definitely think they can overpower the awful drafting nature that we've been stricken with in the past - this is a new group, with a wealth of experience, competence, and success. They can't overcome the terrible luck that will continue to be generated due to the keystone kop Haslam being our owner (starting with the absurd decision to force another shotgun marriage between Dorsey and Hue). And for this offseason at least, we won't be able to avoid the fact they'll need to overpay to persuade any good-to-great free agents to play here (like they had to for Zeitler last year). If they draft and handle F.A. well, and show promise this season, we may start the needle pointing back up and be a more attractive destination starting next season.

Browns:

1) We will draft a QB
2) We will draft an offensive lineman
3) We will draft a DB
4) Some fans will be happy with our draft
5)Some fans will be unhappy with our draft

NFL:

1) Multiple QBs will be selected in the 1st round
2) Barkley will be the first RB selected
3) Eagle fans will make fools of themselves
4) Patriots will draft a QB
5) The Cowboys draft board will be on the jumbotron at least once

1. We will draft Sam Darnold at 1.

2. We will sign Terrelle Pryor and Malcolm Butler in free agency.

3. We will draft Josey Jewel, Dante Pettis, and Jaylen Samuels.

4. We trade down from 4 with Buffalo and acquire a ton of draft picks.

5. We do not sign or spend a high draft pick on a runningback. Matt Dayes could be our day 1 starter.

Archived