Ask Keyser - 2017 Fantasy Questions Thread

keysersoze3421

6 hours ago, squire12 said:

I would rather have DJ for this season.  Try to win this season vs looking too far ahead.  Making that trade based partially on who you can keep next year does not make sense to me.

Me too. I always approach dynasty leagues with the idea of win now. I re-evaluate mid season  during the deadline and if I'm out, then I'd start to offer DJ around. People who are going for the W this season are still going to give you really good value for him, even as a "rental". 

2 hours ago, MightyMouse07 said:

We have a rule where you can't trade anyone on the can't cut list for a draft pick mid season. 

Thats a ridiculous rule lol

But my answer wouldn't change unless you think you have absolutely no shot this year, and even then I'd try for a higher caliber roster player with keeper control, even if you have to take a little less in pick compensation

Ugh.

So my big money 14-team league (which is up to a $250 buy-in this year) is drafting tomorrow (I want to punch someone) and I just found out I've got the #1 pick, so that snake is gonna be a brutal one to ride.

I suppose drafting this early makes it a little easier to be OK with drafting #1, but this is a standard scoring (passing TD's are +6) double specific-flex (1 WR/RB and 1 WR/TE on rosters, along with 2 RB's, 2 WR's, and a TE... and fun time, fun times only 3 bench spots), so RB's are always at a premium.  My only solace is that QB tend to be overvalued (as many as 5 in the first 2 rounds in recent years), so hopefully that means that a worthy WR1 falls to me at the bottom of R2.  I'm content to sit and wait until post-R8 for a QB like Dalton (OL has some questions, but weapons are legit and when he was healthy last season he was fire - especially when AJ was actually playing).

I suppose the other benefit is that the two guys in this league that tend to value the same kinds of guys I do are picking smack in the middle of the round and in the 14-hole respectively, so I'll at least know and have enough of an opportunity to plan if I feel like there's a guy I really feel strongly about and have accepted I'll need to make a calculated reach for. 

Also worth noting, there's a couple of us in this league missing out on attending the live draft in Vegas this year, so we're all congregating at the same spot this year and we've tossed around the idea (we'll see how the draft unfolds) of verbal-agreement/handshakes on mid-draft trade negotiations (say it's the 4th round and I determine I absolutely have to have this last guy in my Tier 2 and he's not going to make it to my pick, I handshake-agree with one of the other guys in the room to trade my 4th and 5th for their 4th and 6th... and we'll just tell each other who to draft at those respective picks and then transact the trade after the draft is done).

14 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Ugh.

So my big money 14-team league (which is up to a $250 buy-in this year) is drafting tomorrow (I want to punch someone) and I just found out I've got the #1 pick, so that snake is gonna be a brutal one to ride.

I suppose drafting this early makes it a little easier to be OK with drafting #1, but this is a standard scoring (passing TD's are +6) double specific-flex (1 WR/RB and 1 WR/TE on rosters, along with 2 RB's, 2 WR's, and a TE... and fun time, fun times only 3 bench spots), so RB's are always at a premium.  My only solace is that QB tend to be overvalued (as many as 5 in the first 2 rounds in recent years), so hopefully that means that a worthy WR1 falls to me at the bottom of R2.  I'm content to sit and wait until post-R8 for a QB like Dalton (OL has some questions, but weapons are legit and when he was healthy last season he was fire - especially when AJ was actually playing).

I suppose the other benefit is that the two guys in this league that tend to value the same kinds of guys I do are picking smack in the middle of the round and in the 14-hole respectively, so I'll at least know and have enough of an opportunity to plan if I feel like there's a guy I really feel strongly about and have accepted I'll need to make a calculated reach for. 

Also worth noting, there's a couple of us in this league missing out on attending the live draft in Vegas this year, so we're all congregating at the same spot this year and we've tossed around the idea (we'll see how the draft unfolds) of verbal-agreement/handshakes on mid-draft trade negotiations (say it's the 4th round and I determine I absolutely have to have this last guy in my Tier 2 and he's not going to make it to my pick, I handshake-agree with one of the other guys in the room to trade my 4th and 5th for their 4th and 6th... and we'll just tell each other who to draft at those respective picks and then transact the trade after the draft is done).

That last paragraph sounds a bit sketchy, but if your small group is all good with it, then let it fly.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

That last paragraph sounds a bit sketchy, but if your small group is all good with it, then let it fly.

There's an inherent risk involved , like the potential for someone to welch post-facto after seeing who all is actually available when they pick, but the entire league is comprised of fraternity alumni (all from the same chapter), so that's not all that likely to happen.

Also, with as much crap as the guys who are in Vegas for this are giving those of us who didn't make it out (in the case of three of us because we have kids starting school next week and can't just get away that easily, and in the fourth case because he and his wife just had to pay to replace the roof on their house) that we kind of want something to hold over their heads that they missed out on.  Mostly because they'll almost for sure try to replicate it next year in Vegas and something will no doubt go horribly wrong... and the chaos will be hilarious to watch if I'm not part of it.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Thats a ridiculous rule lol

But my answer wouldn't change unless you think you have absolutely no shot this year, and even then I'd try for a higher caliber roster player with keeper control, even if you have to take a little less in pick compensation

I agree about the rule. They did it to protect the fish of the league. I'm all about balls deep capitalism. Survival of the fittest. 

I'm used to playing in the standard 1 QB, 2 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 FLEX, 1 DEF, 1 K standard scoring leagues.  I recently joined a big money 1 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 2 FLEX, 1 DEF 12 man league, with a short bench - standard scoring.

How would you change your draft strategy, if at all?  I'm thinking QB's and TE's should be given less importance (I usually wait until the late rounds to draft these guys anyway) and I should maybe draft more for upside with the WR and RB positions in the mid-rounds rather than a high floor.  Do you agree?  What else would you change?

3 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I'm used to playing in the standard 1 QB, 2 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 FLEX, 1 DEF, 1 K standard scoring leagues.  I recently joined a big money 1 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 2 FLEX, 1 DEF 12 man league, with a short bench - standard scoring.

How would you change your draft strategy, if at all?  I'm thinking QB's and TE's should be given less importance (I usually wait until the late rounds to draft these guys anyway) and I should maybe draft more for upside with the WR and RB positions in the mid-rounds rather than a high floor.  Do you agree?  What else would you change?

You are correct with QB AND TE being less valuable.   With 3 WR starters and 1 more Flex, getting 5 -6 solid WR is a goal.  Standard scoring means the RB are going to go quick as the pass catching backs lose a lot of value. 

So, said 14-team standard league draft... I just want to say, God bless people that reach for QB's and while doing so leave better QB's on the board.

QB: Andrew Luck (I wasn't planning on drafting one this early, but I got him in the 5th... as the 7th QB taken)

RB: David Johnson

RB: Marshawn Lynch

WR: Amari Cooper

WR: Donte Moncrief

TE: Cameron Brate (Planning on streaming TE's until one hits worth keeping)

WR/RB: Terrance West

WR/TE: Eric Decker

K: Adam Vinatieri

DEF: Arizona

BN: Doug Martin

BN: Adam Thielen

BN: Quincy Enunwa (my first drop if needed - or if the Jets QB situation looks as God awful as expected - but this was a target-volume flier)

That is a very nice team in a 14 team league.  Top RB with some other really good 2nd and 3rd RB in Lynch and West (Martin once off suspension should be a nice piece as well)

Cooper and Decker are a good duo, Moncrief has high upside and paired with Luck, could return very nice value.

As you noted, TE is something that will likely need upgrading, but Brate is a solid player and should see some action ahead of Howard to start the season.  

Very nicely done....good luck with that team!!

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

That is a very nice team in a 14 team league.  Top RB with some other really good 2nd and 3rd RB in Lynch and West (Martin once off suspension should be a nice piece as well)

Cooper and Decker are a good duo, Moncrief has high upside and paired with Luck, could return very nice value.

As you noted, TE is something that will likely need upgrading, but Brate is a solid player and should see some action ahead of Howard to start the season.  

Very nicely done....good luck with that team!!

Because we were drafting so far ahead of the season, I was really tempted to forego drafting a kicker (worse case scenario, I've gone through seasons semi-streaming kickers who play their home games in domes for 4-5 games at a time), but there really wasn't a WR or RB with the kind of upside I really felt like I needed to take.  I probably would have taken a second QB (which I normally never do, just to have insurance in case my starter was injured in the preseason, but given Luck is on the PUP-P right now, my best guess is we probably don't even see him in the preseason till Week 3 at the earliest and possibly not even till Opening Day).

I'm going to be tracking Perine throughout the season because even though he was drafted, I'm confident he's going to be like Jordan Howard was last year where someone drafted him as a handcuff, then he didn't feature and they dropped him when they needed to cut someone to account for an injured starter.  Perine's pass-blocking, from what I've read of reports from Skins practices, hasn't been up to snuff yet, so Rob Kelley should start the year and Perine is probably a mid-year boom candidate.

On 8/4/2017 at 10:07 AM, MightyMouse07 said:

I got offered the following trade in my PPR keeper league:

league setup is: QB, RB x 2, WR x 2, TE, Flex x 2

I send: DJ (last year he can be kept), 4th, and 7th 

I get: Crowell (13th round keeper I can have this year and next), 2nd, and 3rd.

If I make this trade my draft picks look like:

2nd x 3

3rd x 2

4th 

in the first 4 rounds. My other keeper is between Ware and Powell depending on how injuries, etc work out. 

So my team after round two would either look like:

RB - DJ // Ware

WR - Hopkins // Robinson

with a 3rd and 2 4ths

or 

RB - Crowell // Ware // 

WR - Hopkins // Robinson // Allen

with 2 3rds (if try to grab 1 RB here) and a 4th 

No way.  Go for the win this year with DJ.

Archived